Join our zoo community

The next big wildlife lens?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by savethelephant, 29 May 2015.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Yup, I bought it some months ago. I'm not a great photographer, so my wife mostly uses it to view wildlife since she can't see very well through binoculars. They are great for ID shots for us.

However, I have seen some stunning photos from friends with the lens and I am always in awe that we have the same lens and get such different results.

3. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I heard or read somewhere this quote. "It's not the lens that makes the photographer. It is the photographer that makes the photographer." Or something like that anyhow:D

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes there is this lens and a newer one with the same specs from Sigma. Actually Sigma makes two versions, a lighter and less expensive Contemporary and a heavier and more expensive Art. If you shoot Canon, they came out with a new version 2 of their popular 100-400 lens, but of course 400mm is much shorter than the Tamron and Sigma at 600mm, but the Canon is reported to be amazingly sharp. Still I have seen excellent reviews and photos from both the Tamron and Sigma and I think either one would can produce professional quality results in the right hands.