Join our zoo community

The Nonsense Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by ThylacineAlive, 30 Oct 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Actually, your post about arming teachers with pink handguns got the 1300th reply:p

Will need to think of a proper prize.

~Thylo:cool:

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Well, mine was actually the 1300th *reply* since your post counted as post #1, however Chli's was the 1300th post.
    I think we should both get prizes :p
    I would like this please: Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia: Harold G Cogger: NHBS since I want it, and can't really afford it. Sounds like a fair prize to me.

4. Chlidonias

no, mine was the 1300th post, LaughingDove's was the 1300th reply.

5. LaughingDove

Back to that book, assuming thylo doesn't get it as my prize, I've found it for sale for about $100 (Australian) here: Booktopia - Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia by Harold G. Cogger, 9780643100350. Buy this book online. which I could possibly afford if it's very good. Has anyone got it? If so, recommendations?

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited the Queens Zoo today and at the Coy-wolf enclosure a lady asked if there was an armadillo in the enclosure. What she was looking at was a toy red ball...:p

~Thylo:cool:

7. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, there are an increasing number of zoos cohabiting large canids with their Uruguayan Red Rubber Armadillos, so you never know...:p

Ebirah766 likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

it is very good indeed, but it is not a field guide (i.e. you wouldn't take it into the field with you unless you want a herniated disc).

You may prefer this one - A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia : Gerry Swan : 9781921517280 - which is also excellent and much cheaper (albeit only covering reptiles), maybe coupled with this one - Field Guide to the Frogs of Australia : Frank Knight : 9780643103986

9. LaughingDove

I think I will definitely get the Reptile Guide you suggested, and probably the frog one as well (though on Amazon where it is considerably cheaper) however in looking for other alternatives, I came across this other frog book for very cheap:
    Wild Australia Guide: Frogs: Ian Morris, Lynne Adcock: NHBS

Anyone have it? It doesn't look as good as the other one, but is a lot cheaper so I might get it.

10. Chlidonias

the Tyler and Knight field guide for frogs is complete. The other one (Morris and Adcock) is more of a general guide.

Regarding price, on the links I find the bookdepository price is cheaper than what I see on Amazon, and there is free shipping.

11. LaughingDove

Are you looking at Amazon.co.uk or some different Amazon?
    On Amazon.co.uk its used from £24.92 and new from £27.66 whilst on BookDepository its considerably more expensive at £41.81. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide-Frogs-Australia-Michael/dp/0643103988/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460883368&sr=8-1&keywords=Field+Guide+to+the+Frogs+of+Australia"]Field Guide to the Frogs of Australia: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Tyler, Frank Knight: 9780643103986: Books[/ame]

I think I will go for the books you suggested above for both the Reptile and Amphibian ones.

12. Chlidonias

I was looking at Amazon in US dollars and bookdepository in NZ dollars. The conversion made bookdepository cheaper.

I had a look at your UK Amazon link then went to bookdepository and changed the currency to UK pounds: Field Guide to the Frogs of Australia : Frank Knight : 9780643103986

For me it says £21.83 on bookdepository (discounted from £55.50)

13. LaughingDove

How odd... for me it says '£41.81 £̶5̶5̶.̶5̶0̶ [if that doesn't show up properly its text with a line through] You save £13.69'

Maybe they're being dispatched from different locations based on where we are? Does yours also say 'Dispatched from the UK in 2 business days'

14. Chlidonias

it says:
    "£21.83 £55.50 [the latter price struck-through]

You save £33.67

Free delivery worldwide

Available
    Dispatched from the UK in 2 business days"

There are often different pricings between bookdepository in the UK and the US. From NZ the site defaults to the US version, and for you it will default to the UK version. So my link is for the US version .com but I imagine when you clicked on my link it went to .co.uk yes? If I click on the UK link it takes me instead to the US version.

Anyway, just get it wherever is cheapest for you :D

15. LaughingDove

Nope, its on '.com' for me too! :p

16. Chlidonias

in that case, I have no clue what the reason is!

17. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I got this email today from an address that was from a sender that didn't even have an @dhl.com extension! Looks like I missed my delivery because my "address was business closed". :(

Dear Valued Customer,

We tried to deliver your item on 26/04/2016,11:10 AM.
    the delivery attempt failed because the address was business closed OR nobody could sign for it.
    To pick up the package,please,clink on the tracking number to Review Package Information and print the invoice that is attached and visit DHL location indicated in the receipt.
    if the package is not picked up within 48 hours,it will be returned to the sender.

18. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Did you even have something coming to you from dhl? I personally don't like them, I prefer the good old USPS whenever possible, but I guess that isn't an option for you.

19. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

No I wan't expecting a package from DHL - this is a blatant phishing email.

Australia Post is pretty good for local deliveries.

20. LaughingDove

Both of these have arrived now (the reptile one actually arrived a couple of weeks ago but frogs only arrived today), and I am very pleased with both of them.

The reptile one is very large and quite extensive (over 940 species, each with a map, text, and a colour photograph) and seems to be very good value for money just for the size of the book with nearly 600 glossy colour pages. The maps are good, the text is clear and concise and although there is generally just one colour photograph per species (and the only illustrations are general ones at the front), they seem to be quite good and I think it will be pretty good in the field, if a bit heavy, so I probably won't carry it around everywhere. (it does seem to be designed as a field guide though with a good layout, a protective plastic cover, and a ruler at the end. It wouldn't be too heavy if that was my only book, but may be too much with a bird and mammal guides as well).

The frog guide is really excellent. The illustrations seem to be extremely good with multiple illustrations of many species including some tadpoles. There are also pretty good maps, and the text is fairly extensive.
    The book is also very small and light, so could quite easily be carried in the field. The only issue I have with it is the price. I paid £25 for it which is less than half of the RRP and I feel like that's a good price. If I had paid £52 for it however, I would have been slightly disappointed at the small size of the book considering the high price. Though the book does seem to be top quality.