Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo The red goral of San Diego Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by baboon, 8 Nov 2016.

Tags:
  1. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I browse the Zoochat this afternoon, I came across two seperate threads mentioning the red goral of San Diego Zoo in 1960s-1970s, by @Michael and @ungulate nerd. I am so surprised because the current red goral captive population stems from the seven individuals (3,4) caught in Linzhi, SE Tibet by Shanghai Zoo in 1981. The Shanghai zoo maintains a population of 23 red gorals now, and the Beijing Zoo got this species from Shanghai in 1990. Thus I wonder where the San Diego's red goral from? Maybe from Myanmar? And what happened on it then? Thanks!

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rotterdam in the Netherlands had a pair of red goral in the nineties also from Shanghai

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Didn't Rotterdam had 2.0? And I'm trying to remember where there enclosure was. I suspect it is where now the Hyena's are, between the old Henri-Martinhouse and greenhouse where now the Okapi's and the off-shop bird area is located, but I cannot find my old pictures.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I also thought Rotterdam had 2.0, one of which died because he met a male takin, so one of them must have been kept at the rock behind the rhinos

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wheren't the baboons still on the rock when the gorals, tufted deer, the white-lipped deer and the takins arrived? I thought most of the species were kept in the ungulate paddocks behind where then the kangaroos where? I remember some of the tufted deer where moved later behind the rock to replace the casuaries and then the white-lipped deer moved to the paddock next to the rhino's when Taman Inda was finished (and I suspect the Takin moved then to the rock), but still I can't remember where the red goral where.