Join our zoo community

The return of Survival?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Panthera1981, 30 Jul 2019.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having just watched “Counting Tigers” on ITV, I was intrigued to find it was subtitled as a Survival Special.

To my knowledge, there hasn’t been any new Survival output since the early Noughties, with (IMHO) ITV treating the brand atrociously, discarding it like some dirty rag so that they could concentrate on garbage like Jeremy Kyle and Love Island.

With this new programme, does this mean ITV have bought back the rights to Survival, and are there more programmes to come? I hope so, as I used to love watching Survival as a child!

Any further knowledge welcome!

Crowthorne likes this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I saw the programme on the TV listings, but thought 'oh it's ITV, probably not what I'm after' and didn't watch. Was it any good?

If ITV are thinking of reviving the series that can only be a good thing :)

3. Panthera1981

I approached it with the same feelings, but it was a very enjoyable hour. It followed the same basic programme structure associated with Survival (celebrity narrator, defined beginning/middle/end etc) And, considering ITV’s recent output, it wasn’t dumbed down.

I’d thoroughly welcome the return of Survival. They’re excellent films, and anything that can compete with the BBC output is never a bad thing.

Crowthorne likes this.
  4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I was going to thank you for the heads up, then noticed Joanna Lumley narrates the show. Think i'll keep Mastodon playing throughout it.

5. Panthera1981

She’s actually quite restrained throughout tbh.

Could’ve been a lot worse-it could’ve been Holly Willoughby!

littleRedPanda likes this.