Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo The Secret Life of Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 10 Dec 2015.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

As mentioned, I don't believe we're the target audience, but that doesn't mean we can't criticise the programme on its merits. There have been far better zoo documentaries, and most have included considerably more behind-the-scenes footage. Nothing will ever come close to Molly Dineen's 'The Ark', but the best of the type in my opinion, is 'The Zoo' (the one about Auckland Zoo):

The Zoo | Television New Zealand | Entertainment | TVNZ 1, TVNZ 2

Perhaps Chester regulars also find it annoying because of all the inaccuracies? In the episode with the orang escape, they were said to be "moving home" but in fact were just given access to another enclosure, and before the supposed move, were pictured in that enclosure! Then there were the emperor tamarins, who apparently live "over in the monkey house". The list goes on.

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think 'the Ark ' can really be compared to most of the other zoo programmes, since it was mainly about the closure crisis & concentrated mostly on the issues & people concerned rather than the animals. I agree it was excellent though!

The Auckland Zoo programme was also very good, granted.

I can understand regulars being frustrated by inaccuracies (like the 'our Zoo' drama), but the majority won't know or care, rightly or wrongly.

I have seen other series on Chester, Bristol, Paignton, Colchester, Dublin, ZSL, etc, I would say the latest series is no worse than any of those.

3. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While I'm not exactly a regular, those really, really annoyed me, for example one minute they show a sho of Milli and Toni in SOJ next they are back in their normal paddock! As well as many other things, but that is a glaring problem with the series narration and script, I'd much prefer them to go to the effort for them to name places in the zoo more accurately, so people who want to visit know where they are actually going! I love the series and I personally love the little shots of animals now and again as I always shout out the names, to the weird look of my family for knowing what specific species an animal is and its name! And though I love it , and I think most of us do like it, it can use a little tweak here and there!

4. pipaluk

I have to admit that even I noticed the sun bear shots showing them in one enclosure then the jaguar one, then they were back in the original (tiger) one! Unless you'd been to the zoo you wouldn't notice this though.

Charlie Simmomds likes this.
  5. Charlie Simmomds

Very to, though if you have been or know the zoo fairly well (Me as I've not visited this year) it is a tad annoying, well to me at least.

6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

That's quite true, but it's terrible journalism.

7. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone heard anything about when this series will return? I was under the impression it would be taking a short break over Christmas before resuming, but no word as yet on when (if?) it will be back on air. This does annoy me with TV generally, when a programme disappears from the weekly schedules with no explanation as to why its gone or when it will be back!

As an aside, does anyone on this site know any of the keepers who 'starred' in this series? I was very impressed with the staff overall, and thought those shown came over really well on camera. I was actually rather hoping to spot some familiar faces when I visited Chester last year but didn't!

8. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There was a guy filming this week so presumably there's more to come.

9. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the zoo's Facebook this morning:

Keep an eye on our page for updates about the new upcoming series of The Secret Life of The Zoo.

So it would seem that series 3 is fairly imminent.

10. Charlie Simmomds

Well it seems season 3 will be out sooner than we first thought! On Tuesday the 28th of February to be exact at 8pm. As the article below shows, the first episode will look at Asha and Beni's reintroduction, Bliss and Pedro the giant anteaters, the northen bald ibis chicks, mating of orchid mantis and in the run of the series attention will be payed to the giraffe and elephant births of the last 2 months as well as many other species! Looks to be good!
    The Secret Life of the Zoo returns for third series

pipaluk likes this.
  11. Laura McClean

Laura McClean New Member

Really enjoying season 3 of The Secret Life of the Zoo.

12. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Season 4 premiered today! The first episode was nice, seeing Kitani's birth was the main part but the focus on other species like jewel wasps, lowland streaked tenrecs and red river hogs was interesting as they are lesser known. I am expecting the red river hogs to be added to the website and app soon because of this ;)

13. Fallax

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

normal service resumes next week. They are showing penguins.

Charlie Simmomds and jde7582 like this.
  15. pipaluk

I hope no-one rushes to the zoo to see them after next week then!!

bongorob likes this.
  16. Charlie Simmomds

I very much enjoyed this episode and learnt a large amount about jewel wasps which was very strange, took me a while to get the name references however. Non the less the other species where very nice to see and I look forward to next week! I'm hoping to see lots of diversity in this series!

17. Fallax

References to what O-o

18. Charlie Simmomds

Alien...

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If anyone was interested in the tenrecs, they have been bred in the U.K. Therefore it would be a Chester first only providing that they do have success with the species..

20. Fallax

Well, I have never watched it so that's new to me. My favourite names are still the penguins named after crisps.