Join our zoo community

The top 10 most beautiful Passerine birds in your opinion.

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Oct 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Iiwi is currently the face of Hawaiian bird conservation, and it does its job well.

As someone who lives in a place where I have seen the effect of how invasive European Starlings can be, I have a really hard time seeing them as beautiful.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

So here are the first 5 of my favourite passerines in no particular order :

• Chestnut backed thrush - I haven't actually seen one of these in the flesh yet (would love to one day though) and purely found out about the species through browsing the zoochat gallery. Though these birds don't have brightly coloured plumage I think their colours are beautiful and this might sound banal but they sort of remind me of a chocolate chip ice cream which makes them even more endearing to me. It is very sad to hear that they are increasingly threatened in the wild by capture for the illegal pet trade.
    • Bali myna - I have seen these in a couple of zoos in Europe and I think they are beautiful looking birds with their white plumage and blue ringed eyes which contrasts so starkly. When their crests are raised they look even more impressive. I've read a bit about their conservation situation and history which is one of those case studies for species threatened by trade / overcollection and importance of ex-situ captive breeding. I once had the pleasure of speaking with a keeper who worked heavily in the conservation of this species at a well known zoo which definitely furthered my interest in them.
    • Green headed tanager- Probably one of my favourite birds native to Brazil and one of the most dazzling. I really think that with their colours they look like they have been painted by Matisse or Picasso. I've seen this species in the wild quite a few times and even have had a wild one perch on my hand which was an unforgettable experience. I know these are not a species of any conservation concern but to me they are emblematic of the beautiful avifauna of the Atlantic rainforest which is disappearing by the minute here in Brazil.
    • Atlantic royal flycatcher - Another of my favourite birds native to Brazil and also inspired my zoochat username. I've seen this bird in the wild but only brief glimpses. I think the contrast between their brown plumage and their extravagent red and purple crest is amazing and it really reminds me of an Aztec headdress. It is also a species emblematic to me of the Atlantic rainforest and the importance of conserving this ecosystem. I also love the common name and find it hilarious.
    • Araripe manakin - I love the contasting colours of this Brazilian endemic bird and I think the name in Portuguese "Soldadinho do Araripe" ("little soldier of Araripe") is both endearing and suitable as it does look like it is wearing some kind of red beret hat. I haven't seen this bird in the wild or captivity though I would very much like to. The critically endangered conservation status of the species concerns me and it is also another of those birds that are emblematic to me of the Atlantic rainforest ecosystem.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2020
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I can definitely understand why you would struggle to find them beautiful.

What impacts of this invasive species concern you the most ?

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Missed this one somehow, I never knew about it before, what a beautifully coloured bird it is.

It kind of reminds me of the Andean cock of the rock.

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t know a lot about birds; but here are my top 10 in no particular order:

Superb lyrebird
    Zebra Finch
    Andean Cock of the rock
    Gouldian finch
    Greater bird of paradise
    Blue bird of paradise
    Pied Currawong
    Blue Jay
    Regent Bowerbird
    New Holland Honeyeater

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for your comment @Jambo and it's alright. I'm not very knowledgeable about birds either and am still learning about them too.

The two that standout for me from your list are the blue bird of paradise (its plumage looks like a Rio carnival costume !) and the regent bower bird which are such spectacular looking birds.

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m the same, but we all learn something, and I hope to learn a lot about birds during my time on Zoochat. :cool:

Yes, I think those birds all look amazing! :) But yeah, if I had to pick one, it would be the Blue Bird of Paradise.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Totally agree, I feel like I've certainly learned a lot already.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier comments I actually wouldn't have even known about the existence of species like the chestnut backed thrush if I hadn't of seen a picture of one of these birds in the gallery.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm seeing the Araripe Manakin mentioned a lot, I completely agree! This species always stuck me as a great candidate for an ex-situ program in zoos.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I'm glad that people are mentioning this species so much as it really is a beautiful bird and it shows that there is some awareness of its plight globally.

I think so too actually and I really don't know why this sort of conservation intervention hasn't already been attempted.

Maybe I'll try and find out more about why this hasn't happened because honestly I haven't heard of anything.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well I've skimmed through a PDF document of the National action plan for the species and a few journal papers that are available online to try and find any mention of ex-situ plans for this bird.

According to the Conservation Assessment and Management Plants (CAMP) there hasn't been any araripe manakins kept within Brazilian zoos.

For whatever reason ex-situ management of the species was rejected in favour of a focus on in-situ conservation. Maybe this was for the better or maybe for the worse, who knows?

Also, I really should correct my earlier comment about the habitat of the species as I was completely wrong about it. The manakin is not native to the Atlantic rainforest but rather is endemic to a single humid gallery forest habitat that is found on top of the Araripe plateau.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Last 5 favourite passerines in no particular order:

• The white throated water dipper - This isn't at all a visually beautiful species in terms of its plumage and in fact quite the opposite as it is very drab coloured apart from its white throat and breast. But I feel a sentimental attachment to it even so as I would often see it hunting insects in streams and rivers in the mountains of Central and Northern Spain and it is a beautiful and active passerine to watch.
    • Andean cock of the rock - Another beautiful and charismatic neotropical bird. I love the scarlet plumage of the males and their strange looking crests. Unfortunately I've never seen this species alive in either captivity or the wild (only faded taxidermy specimens in museums) but I hope to achieve this one day. I know these birds are not of conservation concern but these symbolize to me the fragility and biodiversity of the Andean cloud forest ecosystems.
    • The white throated / black throated magpie jay - Gorgeous birds that I've seen in the wild many times. The blue and white plumage is beautiful and the head crests are both wacky and endearing. Not of conservation concern but I have a sentimental attachment to these birds because they remind me of Mexico and Central America.
    • Bare throated bell bird - Somewhat similar to the Bali myna in some ways in colouration of white plumage and blue pigmented skin so I must have something for birds like this. Haven't yet managed to see or hear one in the wild but hope to achieve this soon. Another threatened Brazilian bird species that is emblematic to me of the Atlantic rainforest and the conservation of this ecosystem.
    • Magpie tanager - Yes , black and white so not the most colourful of the tanagers, but a really handsome bird IMO and as the largest species of the family have a lot of character.

13. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Hmmm! This is going to take some serious thought, that I cannot afford time wise at present. First thoughts say this must include King Bird of Paradise, Flame Bowerbird, Andean Cock of the Rock, a fairy wren, a pitta, a tanager or two , Green Jay, Eurasian Goldfinch and a New World warbler. I’ll be back; it’ll be interesting to see what has and hasn’t made it!

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Ponder it for as long as you want @Tetzoo Quizzer and then write a list.

I'll be very interested in reading your response as you are both well travelled (and have seen a huge amount of passerines in the wild) and an avid birder.

15. Tetzoo Quizzer

Ok; the list today of the top 10 in reverse order is
    10. Red-crested Cardinal- just a smart pattern neatly executed; seen in Buenos Aires
    9. Bearded Reedling - another neat pattern, and such interesting biology, with the gut changing structure from insect feeding in summer to grain feeding in winter. Now breeds about 10 km away.
    8. Red-shouldered Vanga - another neat pattern, a staring yellow eye, and only discovered recently. Difficult to track down, but so rewarding when we succeeded.
    7. Wallcreeper - the scarlet winged butterfly bird that I have tracked down in the Pyrenees and the Tibetan Plateau.
    6. Many-coloured Rush-tyrant - why is such a colourful bird living in a reed bed habitat where most passerine are dull brown? Peru and Argentina.
    5. Black-and-yellow Broadbill - a striking cartoon character of a bird. Sabah.
    4. Green-breasted Pitta - what a gorgeous bird to see first singing high in a tree, then running on the ground in Uganda.
    3. Andean Cock-of-the-Rock. To see a lek in Peru is just wondrous.
    2. Flame Bowerbird. Displaying at the bower in PNG; watch the BBC coverage with the strange pupil expansion.
    1. King Bird of Paradise. I could have written a list of 10 BoP species, but for beauty, I am unable to beat this tiny red bird with its green tail curls. If I had had a better view of Blue BoP then that might have stolen first place.
    Slightly surprised not to have picked a tanager or a fairywren or a sunbird. As for charisma without beauty, then add Bornean Bristlehead and both Rockfowl.

16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Splendid fairywren, eastern spinebill, fire-tailed sunbird, common paradise flycatcher, banded pitta, blue BoP, Afrak astrapia, flame bowerbird, guianan cock-of-the-rock, golden-breasted starling.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for sharing your list @Tetzoo Quizzer ! So first installment of a couple of observations of the birds you have listed.

The king bird of paradise is absoluely stunning, something about it reminds me a little of the Andean cock of the rock but of course it is even more colourful and bizarre than even this bird. I agree it isn't the biggest of the birds of paradise and I suppose many would go for species such as the greater bird of paradise over it but it is beautiful and those strange tail feathers are amazing ! What was it like to see this species in the wild ? was it challenging and what were your thoughts upon first seeing it ?

Flame bowerbird another one that reminds me a little of the Andean cock of the rock, at least superficially with that red colour. What an incredibly weird bird in so many weird and wonderful ways ! Did you manage to see it collecting coloured objects (or just the display itself) for its bower in Papua New Guinea ?

Green breasted pitta is another great choice. It is a very interestingly coloured bird with those dark green wings and backs, ruby red chest and those intriguing neon blue feathers around the top of its wings. Given the colouration, I imagine this species was somewhat difficult to spot in the wild in Africa ?

18. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is it okay if I make two lists? I want to make one for species seen in the wild and one for species seen in captivity.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Go ahead, that would be awesome ! ;)

20. Tetzoo Quizzer

King BoP- in the same area as Greater BoP. Can’t recall how we located it (possibly it called), but then was perched for a good time, enough to get it in the telescope once you had found a suitable window in the leaves. Some views were just of a tail curl!
    Flame Bowerbird- a stick hide overlooking the bower, the male came in almost as soon as we arrived, and did a little tidying up. It is the very same bower filmed by the BBC, and I believe they were intending to return last year for more filming.
    Pitta - the trick is to be in the forest at dawn as it calls and displays. It perches about 5m up on a bare branch, and is then quite easy to follow, particularly with a great local guide! I’d have been more worried about getting lost; when we had had our fill of it, I had a mental picture of which way we needed to go, but was completely and totally wrong; we were more or less back where we had first seen it!