Join our zoo community

The top 10 most beautiful Passerine birds in your opinion.

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Oct 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

All of these sound like incredible experiences !

So you saw the same bowerbird as the one made famous by the BBC :D

2. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Yes. The Greater BoPs were also at the “BBC” lek. Think the only reason I am not rating the three Paradisea species higher (Raggiana, Greater and Lesser) is that they are all equally spectacular, so difficult to choose between.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I totally agree, but I do also think that the smaller species are also very beautiful like the King bird of paradise that you have mentioned.

The Wilson's bird of paradise for example is both beautiful and bizarre and the ribbon tailed astrapia too with that beautiful metallic green plumage and those strange tail feathers.

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does this species exist? Do you mean the Blue-crowned laughingthrush or the Black-faced laughignthrush?

I think the correct spelling is actually Araripe ;)

As for my top ten:

10. Wilson's BOP
    9. Saffron-crowned tanager
    8. Eastern bluebird
    7. Siberian rubythroat
    6. Raggiana BOP
    5. Golden tanager
    4. Golden-breasted starling
    3. Flame bowerbird
    2. Regent bowerbird
    1. Masked bowerbird

Sorry for the high concentration of bowerbirds in the top 5, I just have a small obsession with Sericulus sp.

5. Tetzoo Quizzer

Ribbon-tailed Astrapia are also unbelievably easy, they come to the feeders at one of the lodges, together with Crested Berrypecker, Wattled Honeyeater and Belford’s Melidectes.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Don't worry ;)

There are no wrong or right answers or a need to have something not on anyone elses list. It is simply a list of what passerines you find to be the most beautiful and bowerbirds and birds of paradise are indeed among the most birds.

There are a couple on here that haven't yet been mentioned by other posted so a few comments on these. I hadn't heard of the Siberian ruby throat before so just looked it up and it is a very striking looking little thrush and seeing it makes me curious to know what its song must sound like.

The tanagers you mentioned are very striking. Unfortunately due to them being from the Andes I haven't seen either species in the wild and haven't yet spotted any in captivity.

amur leopard likes this.
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I often find with birds that it isn't just how beautiful their appearances are but how musical and endearing their common names are that greatly add to their appeal. I love for example that name the "wattled honey eater".

Seeing a picture of one on google images it seems to have that yellow wattle around the beak which looks almost like a stain / smear of honey as if it has been feeding from a pot of it (I have no idea if this played a part in why it was called that).

Last edited: 21 Oct 2020
  8. Tetzoo Quizzer

That wattle is fantastic, as it can “blush”; it can vary from yellow to deep orange, presumably by blood flow. The Honeyeater is the family name, most if not all are nectar feeders with brush tongues for lapping nectar; the Australasian ecological equivalent of hummingbirds.

9. Tetzoo Quizzer

Wilson’s BoP is only missing from the list as I haven’t seen it; it should have been a highlight of an August trip to Indonesia. Himalayan Rubythroat and Golden Tanager we’re both on my long list...

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It just seems to be quite a suitable name for this bird given the normal yellow colour of the wattle that it should be called a honey eater. :D

Yes, I believe honeyeaters are a further example to add of convergent evolution between nectar feeding birds such as hummingbirds and sunbirds, right ?

11. Tetzoo Quizzer

Certainly, and add Hawaiian honeyeaters to that, as well as the extinct Oo.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, most definitely, very said about the Oo considering its extinction was so comparatively recent.

13. Tetzoo Quizzer

Even sadder now that we realise it was a weird outlier of Waxwings, rather than a geographically isolated Honeyeater. I have seen far too many Oo feathers however on Polynesian feather cloaks.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, certainly this overexploitation was what initiated its slide towards extinction and then it was further compounded by avian malaria, invasive species, habitat destruction and stochastic events.

A very sad indeed of extinction within historic memory.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, thats right ;).

Araripe is indeed the correct spelling / name. :)

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your reply @Jurek7 !

So there are a couple here that haven't appeared on other lists, very interesting, many you list are Australasian or African species.

The Eastern spinebill is a beautiful and elegant looking bird, have you seen this in the wild or captivity?

The fire-tailed sunbird,what amazing colours it has ! I love the contrast of the vibrant reds and yellows in the plumage!

The paradise flycatcher is also a gorgeous species with that beautiful chestnut brown plumage, blue pigment around the eyes and strikingly long tail.

The splendid fairy wren seems to have made quite a few lists but I honestly can see why this is as that irridescent blue plumage is wonderful.

17. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Ive seen Eastern spinebills in the wild, they are magnificent, I’ve only seen them twice, I got a brief view at Organ Pipes NP earlier in the year but last year I had an amazing first encounter with them in the Otway ranges on school camp, I’d been tracking this tiny bird with a long beak and I had absolutely no idea what it was and when I saw that bill and that plumage I finally realised what it was! Such charasmatic adorable little birds.

Yellow Wattlebird, Rufous Fantail, Pied Currawong, White Winged Fairy Wren, Purple Backed Fairy Wren and others

MRJ and Onychorhynchus coronatus like this.
  18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

They are amazing looking birds aren't they ?

Their frontal plumage looks sort of like the colours of Capucchino coffee to me, just love it.

That is awesome that you had a personal encounter with this species in the wild, brilliant to hear, they seem to be quite a shy and cryptic looking bird was it difficult to follow them ?

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  19. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

They are shy for a Honeyeater but for a bird in general they are anything but shy. I would say more elusive and situational.

The school camp at the Otways in late 2019 was really good it reignited my passion for animals, I caught a couple waves in the surf remembering that stingrays are rare in Anglesea. Unfortunately I left early due to mental health reasons mainly due to the abundance of biting and stinging ants (Mymercia bull ants and Camptotonus Sugar ants), i went into anxietic shock after I saw not one but five Jack Jumpers in my tent while I was putting new shoes on.

I saw a plentiful amount of animals on that trip not limited to but including.

Mammals:
    Eastern Grey Kangaroo
    European Rabbit

Birds:
    Rainbow Lorikeet (Anglesea only)
    Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
    Little Corella
    Long Billed Corella
    Silver Gull (Anglesea only)
    House Sparrow (Anglesea only)
    Little Eagle
    Eastern Spinebill
    New Holland Honeyeater
    White Eared Honeyeater
    Grey Currawong
    White Necked Heron
    Forest Raven
    Eastern Yellow Robin

Brown Thornbill
    Yellow Rumped Thornbill
    Australian King Parrot
    Crimson Rosella
    Hardhead (Anglesea River)
    Australian Wood Duck
    Pacific Black Duck
    Dusky Moorhen
    Black Swan
    Australian Swamphen
    Eurasian Coot
    Grey Teal
    Chestnut Teal
    Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo

MRJ, AWP and Onychorhynchus coronatus like this.
  20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I can imagine ! the biting insects and arachnids of Australia are notorious everywhere around the world.

Honestly field work is difficult enough with things like ants, mosquitos, vipers, ticks, kissing bugs and scorpions but when you also have to be concerned about funnel web and redback spiders then it can really wear on the nerves.

That is a very impressive list of birds that you saw, was this over the course of days or weeks ?

I have to add that if I was Australian the only rabbit I would like to see would be one seen through the sight of a rifle with my finger resting on the trigger.