Join our zoo community

The top 10 most beautiful Passerine birds in your opinion.

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Oct 2020.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Those big whistling thrushes are highly predatory

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

It is interesting for me as I thought they would be mainly insectivorous / mulloscivorous / frugivorous like most thrushes.

But I just read a little more about the ecology of the blue whistling thrush in the wild and it has been recorded preying on smaller birds.

Perhaps this aggressive behaviour towards cage mates that ended in killings that @vogelcommando mentioned was just this birds natural innate behaviour.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even Blackbirds will take newts, tadpoles and small fish.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, but the blue whistling thrush seems to sometimes behave and in fact actually looks like a black bird on steroids.

Most birds will raid the nests and nestlings of other birds but Myophonus caeruleus from just my brief reading on the species will on occasion actively prey upon and kill other adult birds.

All the same it is a really handsome looking bird and I'm glad I now know that it exists out there in the world.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So now the last of my 4 Top 10-lists, this time species I've seen only in the wild ( not completly true but at least close because some species I may have seen and others seen for sure but only briefly in captivity ) :
    - Yucatan jay - Cyanocorax yucatanicus. One of the most beautiful species I saw for the first time during my Mexico-trip 2013-2014. Could be I had seen them before at some dealers -places in The Netherlands / Belgium but I can't remember that.

- Copper sunbird - Cinnyris cupreus. During a journey through the Gambia I saw a number of Sunbirds but most of them I had seen before. I could'nt remember having seen this one before in captivity but in the wild it was - with natural sunlight on it - a real beauty to observe !
    - Long-tailed bushtit - Aegithalos caudatus. Already listed by several other ZooChatters and alway a surprise to discover a small group of them in a bush or tree !

- Black redstart - Phoenicurus ochruros. A species I've seen surtainly also in captivity but my wild encounters with this beauty are alway enjoyable happenings
    - Red-capped manakin - Ceratopipra mentalis. Also seen with surtain in captivity but here also the first ( and only ) encounter with this species in the mountains of Mexico made a real impression on me !

- Rufous-chested swallow - Cecropis semirufa. With this one I'm sure I had never seen it before and when I discovered the first ones in the Gambia in 1999 I was surprised to see a swallow which was not black and white like about 90 % of the Dutchs swallows and martins I had seen before ( the remaining 10 % are the brown Sand martins ). I realy enjoyed watching this species.
    - White-spectacled bulbul - Pycnonotus xanthopygos. 2017 we ( my wife, daugther and I ) made a trip to Turkey and hoped to see a lot of birds. Big dissapointment as I saw less then 20 species in 7 days time ! THE highlight however was the White-spectacled bulbul which I watched for several days and from which I was convinced it was the Common bulbul. Just discovered by checking my photos this evening that I was wrong.

- Yellow-throated warbler - Dendroica dominica. New World warblers are rare in European collections and therefor I'm quite sure that the beautiful Yellow-throated warblers I saw in Mexico were the very first of their species I've ever seen. Large number of nice species in this family but I liked this one most.

- Scissor-tailed flycatcher - Tyrannus forficatus. Seeing this species flying over marsh-area somewhere in Mexico was a real experience. The fluttering tail is realy a very special sight and althrought the actual bird is not a real beauty ( althrough I like it ) its flight is the most beautiful among the songbirds I've seen.
    - Orchard oriole - Icterus spurius. Seen a good number of New World oriole-species both in the wild and in captivity but from the species seen in Mexico I liked the Orchard oriole the most. The black and redish-chestnut-red combination makes it IMO to a real beautiful bird !

This was the last of my Top 10 list of this thread and as said before, there are so many species that I must have missed a good number of other species which actualy also belong on one of the 4 lists !

Last edited: 17 Nov 2020
  6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The regent honeyeater is a spectacular bird, in ways a small regent bowerbird. It is a very confiding bird in the aviary, happy to fly around you, perch right next to you, take mealworms from your hand, even nest and raise chicks right next to the public walkway. And of course it is critically endangered.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Gorgeous looking bird too, must be amazing to work with and really look amazing in a mixed species aviary.

8. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I already made my list, but since I've already seen the Goulidan finch listed on there I would like to add a replacement with a bird that I completely forgot about while making my list. This picture is from Ebird, but for some reason I like the blend of different colors for this animal, with the brown wings, white belly, and those pepper colored cheeks. Also, the "Parrot bill" itself is a good contrasting color. I don't know, a lot of people will probably skip this one of the most beautiful, but
    It's just my opinion.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Great addition Luke ! Very intriguing looking bird

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  10. CheeseChameleon1945

Yes, very fond of the Black hat. :D

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species is that?

12. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Black-headed parrotbill Psittiparus margaritae

13. CheeseChameleon1945

Oh my gosh I completely forgot to add the name. :eek:
    Thats so embarrassing :(.
    but yes, its the Black-headed parrotbill.
    lol, Im so dumb :p.

14. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

In no particular order
    1. Northern cardinal
    2. Blue jay
    3. Blackburnian warbler
    4. Black-throated blue warbler
    5. Hooded oriole
    6. Western tanager
    7. Steller's jay
    8. Paradise tanager