Join our zoo community

The World Owl Trust relocation

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 19 Apr 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So with Hawk Conservancy due to take over the current site at Muncaster from 7th May, a new thread to keep up with news of the World Owl Trust and its move South.. Developments so far:

Its been revealed this week that the majority of the collection of Owl's are to be temporarily housed at Rodbaston College in Staffordshire. However a potential new site has already been earmarked at Himley Hall near Dudley... If successful it could open as soon as next year. Until its ready the Owl's will stay at the college and be onshow (from May)

Seven burrowing owls are settling into their new home at an animal centre in Staffordshire – with visitors able to see them for the first time next month

The parliament of owls are being temporarily housed at South Staffordshire College’s Rodbaston Campus in Penkridge.

It is part of wider plans to create a new World Owl Centre somewhere in the West Midlands where the owls will be permanently based

Bird owners The World Owl Trust is the world leader in owl conservation and is relocating to the region from its present home at Muncaster Castle, in Cumbria.

Six female burrowing owls and one male are the first to arrive at the Animal Zone at Rodbaston from the Lake District. Work has been carried out to create new aviaries for the feathered guests – with a total of 100 heading Rodbaston’s way

The owls will all be moved, along with another 100 owls, to their new permanent home some time next year – possibly Himley Hall in Dudley.

World Owl Trust board member and volunteer Alan Peace said: “The trust is in advanced negotiations for a lease from Dudley Council to take over the old walled garden at Himley Hall

“It is not cut and dried as yet and we still have a way to go with this matter. If it goes ahead then it will take at least a year to build the permanent aviaries and get the site developed. It is probably the best collection of owls in the country. The trust is the only organisation devoted exclusively to the conservation of owls and is going to be establishing a new World Owl Centre in the West Midlands.”

The other 100 owls will be put up at centres across the country until a permanent home is found for the 50 species that are looked after by the trust that was set up 27 years ago.

The temporary display at Rodbaston will be officially opened by a celebrity conservationist on the weekend of May 2.

Burrowing owls are among the smallest of the owl species and originate from North and South America. Unlike most owls, burrowing owls are non-nocturnal

We?re having a hoot: Burrowing owls get ready to meet the public in new Staffordshire home Express & Star

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some of the other Owls have been relocated to World of Owls in Northern Ireland. These include the Vermiculated Fish Owl, Sri-Lankan Forest Eagle Owl, Milky Eagle Owl, Hawk Owl and Spectacled Owls

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

The new location for this interesting small collection is to be Himley Hall in the Dudley Area.

It will be located within the old walled garden area of the site and will cost est £750,000 to open around early 2017

For tho wishing to visit this collection via public transport it is as follows -

Himley Hall and Park is situated 4 miles from Dudley on the B4176 and is around 6 miles from Wolverhampton just off the A449.

The 256 Stourbridge-Wolverhampton bus service runs every 30 minutes along the A449.

Then walk around 5 minutes to Himley Park gates then around another 15 minute walk to the walled gardens

for those with sat post code is DY3 4DF

4. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

5. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Full planning permission as been granted for the collection to start work on the walled garden plans.

I do now have a problem with this as I didn't realise how close the collection would be to the November firework display, this is a large and very loud display run by the Council and Himley Hall.

I hope they have a plan to either move the birds out for a few days or even cancel the display (doubt this very much though).

6. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any news or photos of progress at Himley Hall? I know they wanted an early 2017 opening date but nothing goes to plan, so how much is left to do before the collection comes back together?

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to this week's Cage & Aviary Birds, the plan to relocate to Dudley has been abandoned due to a disagreement over the restoration of a walled garden.

8. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They have now found a location and hope to open they hope to open summer 2019 I will let the collection give details of the location and actual opening date but I am glad they have found a great location for the collection to be brought back as one collection.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. AdrianW1963

Anyone got any ideas when they will open or as it been abandoned again as can't find anything anywhere, here, face book or twitter.
    Any information will be great as was hoping to visit soon.

10. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I was last at Rodbaston I became a WOT member. On the website the official position is still:

The World Owl Trust has closed its World Owl Centre in Cumbria. The ground work has already started at the new site and the architect’s plans are being finalised and clearance work has started. We are looking forward to formally announcing further details very shortly. WOT has the finest collection of owls in the world and we are currently relocating the collection to temporary accommodation in various locations throughout the UK until the new World Owl Centre opens.

But talking to the people at Rodbaston it was clear an announcement is imminent.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There's a reasonable amount of information on the WOT and Rodbaston FB pages actually, including posts from only a few days ago :p the work at Appleby Castle constructing the new centre is going very well and birds have started to move from Rodbaston to Appleby, and in the meantime the Trust has been holding promotional events in the Appleby area.

12. AdrianW1963

Forgot about the Rodbaston fb page @cliffxdavis this as been on there web page now for 2 years and they did say they would be open in summer 2019 I was just checking as I am in this area in Late October and I know someone who is doing a range of OWL pin badges for a collection opening next March 2020