Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Rodents: part one

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 12 Aug 2018.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll look and see on the ground squirrel.

I just remembered I had uploaded the Red Squirrel photo, .

Chlidonias likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Excellent, I'll add that in.

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too have a red squirrel photo in which the specimen is slightly redder but the photo was taken from around 40 metres away so quality is not great:

DSC_1515 (2).JPG

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No idea which subspecies it is but here is a North American porcupine photo from Thoiry. Not sure if it will help.

DSC_0554.JPG

5. Chlidonias

devilfish likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Another new species added: Western Grey Squirrel Sciurus griseus by @Giant Eland.

The Sciurus entries are on page one of this thread.

There are two photos in the Turtle Bay Exploration Park gallery (under USA); I used the first one below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chlidonias

And another new species (and excitingly a new genus) added to the thread: Groove-toothed Flying Squirrel Aeretes melanopterus by @Deer Forest

The post is at the bottom of page two of this thread.

[​IMG]
    Northern Chinese flying squirrel - ZooChat

The photo was actually uploaded in September last year but I missed it because I was travelling at the time.

8. Chlidonias

Mo Hassan and amur leopard like this.
  9. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a picture of the nominate subspecies of Xerus erythropus but it's of really bad quality so I'm not sure it's worth uploading?

10. Chlidonias

Last edited: 13 Jun 2020
    Jungle Man likes this.
  11. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In doing some research it would appear this is another Smith's bush squirrel instead. Photos on iNaturalist of each species as well as descriptions of their habits (sun squirrels being found high in trees, bush squirrels being found on the ground/bottow of trees) back this up.

Unfortunately at the time my guides identified this as a "sun squirrel" and Mutable is the species in the area- but we know how often animals can be confidently mis-identified. Definitely colored differently from other bush squirrels I've seen- but their coloration can vary. I'll upload another angle of this animal I managed (albeit focused incorrectly!).

Attached Files:

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

Yeah, those were the two species it had to be between. Being found high or low on the trees isn't a good indicator, because simply being found low on a tree doesn't mean anything really.

Both species are really variable apparently. I was swayed by Kingdon's Mammals of Africa saying that the body of the Mutable Sun Squirrel was abundantly flecked in cream and that it has a blackish tail which could both fit with your uploaded photo - but the other photo shows the tail fully and it is that of a Smith's. And also the Kingdon field guide in which I (just now) finally found a picture of the Mutable Sun Squirrel, shows an animal nothing like the written description in the other book (for one thing the tail is shown as being very prominently banded!).

13. Chlidonias

A paper has just been published on the taxonomy of the Sciurinae, which included genetic samples from almost every species (Museomics of tree squirrels: a dense taxon sampling of mitogenomes reveals hidden diversity, phenotypic convergence, and the need of a taxonomic overhaul | BMC Evolutionary Biology).

Because the genus Sciurus has always been such a taxonomic mess, I had retained all the species within Sciurus anyway and just made some comments on various scenarios in the introductory post for it (The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Rodents: part one), so I didn't have to rework the thread at all - and even if I'd wanted to do that, the whole thing would need to be changed next time someone publishes a paper!

But below is how this new paper has divided up the genera within the subfamily.

Tamiasciurus remains in line with the standard, with three species (douglasii, hudsonicus, fremonti) although they didn't include genetic samples for fremonti in their study. (In this thread I include fremonti as a subspecies within hudsonicus with the note that it may be a full species, but separate mearnsi with the note that it may not be valid. (This post: The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Rodents: part one)

Rheithrosciurus remains monotypic (R. macrotis).

Microsciurus (the Neotropical dwarf squirrels) has been divided into three genera (one unnamed). The genus is in this post of the thread: The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Rodents: part one.

Microsciurus
    Microsciurus alfari (including M. venustulus)
    Microsciurus "species 1" (a Colombian form previously included within M. mimulus)

Leptosciurus
    Leptosciurus mimulus
    Leptosciurus pucheranii
    (the study found that Sciurus pucheranii was not actually a single variable species but rather two entirely different lineages, and hence they placed one form (the nominate subspecies pucheranii) here amongst the dwarf squirrels and the remaining subspecies they renamed as Hadrosciurus ignitus)
    Leptosciurus similis
    Leptosciurus otinus
    Leptosciurus boquetensis
    Leptosciurus isthmius

"Microsciurus"
    "Microsciurus" sabanillae
    "Microsciurus"
    "species 2" (an undescribed form from Peru and Brazil, variously included in Microsciurus or Syntheosciurus)
    "Microsciurus" flaviventer

(Note that M. santanderensis and M. simonsi are not included in the three genera above because they were amongst the few species not sampled genetically in this study).

Syntheosciurus retains the Bangs' Mountain Squirrel (S. brochus) but they add in the Red-tailed Squirrel (S. granatensis) which seems suspect.

For Sciurus they retained only three species in the genus (only the Old World species, and apparently not recognising S. meridionalis at all) and divided all the rest between nine genera:

Sciurus for anomalus, lis and vulgaris.

Hesperosciurus for griseus and aberti.

Parasciurus for arizonensis, nayaritensis, niger, alleni and oculatus.

Neosciurus
    for carolinensis.

Syntheosciurus
    for granatensis (this was an existing genus to which they moved this one Sciurus species; and they include richmondi in granatensis).

Echinosciurus
    for aureogaster, colliaei, deppei, yucatanensis and variegatoides.

Leptosciurus
    for pucheranii (this was a genus they created to house some of the Microsciurus species, and to which they moved this one Sciurus species).

Simosciurus
    for nebouxii and stramineus.

Guerlinguetus
    for aestuans and brasiliensis.

Hadrosciurus
    for igniventris, pyrrhinus, ignitus and spadiceus.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

A photo of Northern Flying Squirrel Glaucomys sabrinus has been added by @Giant Eland which bumps the species total for the thread up another one.

[​IMG]
    Northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) - ZooChat

The photo was taken at the Maine Wildlife Park which mostly has local animals apparently, but both sabrinus and volans are found in Maine. I can't really tell the two species apart, but the tail does look much too long for the animal to be a volans.

amur leopard likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

AFAIK Tail length is not a reliable way to differentiate the two species. Measurements of the enitre body length can, but there is plenty of overlap. The only reliable way to tell them apart is a close examination of the belly fur - the belly fur of Southern is all-white while the belly fur of Northern is gray at the base. I am not sure this squirrel is identifiable from this photo.

16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm confused, if the zoo identified their animal(s) as Northern why would we need to re-identify?

~Thylo

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to be sure.

Giant Eland likes this.
  18. Chlidonias

Because it is quite common for zoos to misidentify small mammals, or to keep old signage for new animals, or to put new animals into the enclosures of previous or existing animals.

I'm not saying this squirrel has to be misidentified - I think it is a Northern - but with the rodent threads it has happened quite a few times that a photo turns out to actually be some other species (and also just the other day on the marsupial thread with the Smithsonian's Common Opossum).

ThylacineAlive and Giant Eland like this.
  19. Chlidonias

20. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taxidermed specimen of Hagen's Flying Squirrel (Petinomys hageni) and Arrow Flying Squirrel (Petinomys sagitta) are on display in Naturalis. I can upload a photo (it will include some other flying/gliding animals however).