Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jaguar, 20 Jul 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

That's horrible. Do those kids realize how rude that is, heck, do they realize how rare Amur leopards even are?

I see that same problem all the time with people using flash photography in nocturnal exhibits, especially at bats.

2. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Things I hate that people do in the zoo

The #1 thing I hate is when people say the animals look bored. THE ANIMALS ARE NOT BORED THEY ARE JUST TIRED

I hate when people bang on the glass to wake the animal up

I hate when people don't know what they are talking about. At Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in front of the Black RHino exhibit this one guy said "Look at the White Rhinos, the Black Rhinos are more dark"-- NO THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME COLOR

3. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Idd, using your flash when it's not allowed is terrible! I hate it when people do that!

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

At the Los Angeles Zoo we have the problem of people vandalizing every single exhibit that has viewing windows. For some reason those people want their names on the windows.

We also have the problem of people writing their names on bamboos and cacti. They mainly use their keys to scratch the plants and it will stay there forever. One time I witnessed a grandpa teaching his grandson how to write on the bamboo. I later told him to stop, but he didn't stop. I didn't tell him twice, all I had to do was call security and he was out of the zoo.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many years ago at The Falconry Centre in Newent I was passing a display of tethered birds and a lady visitor was having quite an argument with one of the staff. She was very concerned that one of the birds was sitting out on the grass in the full sun. She insisted that a keeper must be fetched to remove the bird to its shelter and made it absolutely clear that she thought keeping a bird in this way was the height of cruelty. It was pointed out to her that the bird could walk into its shelter any time it wanted to, and the bird was sitting in the sun because it liked to do so; but that was not acceptable to her. She carried on and on about cruelty to the birds and that she was going to report it to the authorities.

Eventually another staff member arrived and ofered to refund her admission charge. She refused the offer and said she was only interested in seeing that the birds were being properly looked after.

She was insistant that the bird should be moved and a keeper was summoned. The keeper moved the bird into the shelter and while the visitor was thanking the staff for being concerned about the bird's welfare, the falcon came back out and sat on the perch in the full sun again.

Brayden Delashmutt likes this.
  6. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thanks for posting that bongorob made be laugh what a stupid woman all high and mighty

7. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Haha! That woman would have a stroke if she met me. My dogs love to bask in the baking sun, I have to practically drag them inside. They're given water and have plenty of shade, but they choose to enjoy the rays :) Summer's too short here, I can't blame them.

8. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Somehow, this thread seems to be a very close sibling of threads like "General Zoo Misconceptions", "Hey Lion!!! WAKE UP!!!!!" and quite a bunch more...;)

9. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

I've seen an orangutang with chewing gum on his hands after some fool threw him a piece to eat. It was stuck to his forearms and he was trying to pick it off - he didn't look too annoyed.

10. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

.....unfortunately, a lot of zoo animals are actually refugees and are unable to return to their natural habitat. Some others are in zoo because they are unable to be rehabilitated or rereleased into their habitat....and the reason they've ended up in the zoo is due to the stupidity, carelessness or cruelty of the humans who share their planet.

11. nidhi.dixit

nidhi.dixit Member

its gr88 to hear different things from other zoo's....but here in india..we often lack a chance to directly intract with the animals.or feeding is an offence!
    but the worst thing ever happend is... squeezing of those beautiful birds in open aviaries..(happened in some zoo in india! dnt rem the name) will take time to change things here!till then...waiting for some gud stories from u guys!

12. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Kids that think it is funny to lure some ducks with food, and when the duck come, they ran away... Later they do it again, and again, and again...

Yesterday in Planckendael i could see this fortunately event. The eldest kid has been very scared now, because i did not react very polite ;)

13. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

First post :)

Stupid parents!
    Taking your child to a zoo is a wonderful chance to educate our future generation on the animals that are slowly disappearing and to appreciate the wonders of nature!

Child: 'dad what sort of tiger is that dad'?
    Dad: 'a white one'!

Says it all really!

If the childs interested enough to ask for gawd sake educate it!

14. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a commercial on Australian TV in which a small boy asks his father why the Great Wall of China was built.
    Dad obviously doesn't know, but thinks quickly and comes up with a typical Aussie reason,"To keep the rabbits out! Lotta rabbits in China." :D

15. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Don´t scream in the nearly gorilla enclosure ,and of course no flashing them" can read and listen at bioparc, don´t bang the glass too, and keepers in the public area, but the people (in general) it does not make case don't mention it.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  16. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't understand your English.

17. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think KEEPER means that even though there's signs saying "don't bang the glass or take flash photos" near the Gorillas in Valencia, and keepers are around to tell people, everyone still seems to do it, except the Spanish.

18. KEEPER

Sorry i want to say "almost nobody makes case neither the foreigners nor the Spanish"

19. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Ah i see.
    That annoys me too :(
    Don't people realise that stuff like that scares animals?

20. KEEPER

I believe that to that type of I publish do not concern the animal to him, they think that the zoo is an amusement park and only think and to amuse itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.