Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jaguar, 20 Jul 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

As impressive as ligers,tigons,pumapards,etc are,I would take an interest.But White tigers and lions just don't appeal to me because of what is done to produce them just rubs me the wrong way.I do prefer melanistic leopards and Jaguars because it is more likely that they were bred naturally and a cub just happened to come out melanistic rather than production line bred.

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really don't like the fact that some zoos are breeding white tiger and sell them. They use white tigers to make profit and breeding them. White tigers have lots of problem and will live shorter, yet many zoos treated them as good. I really hope some zoo would tell facts about disadvantages of white tiger, rather than say them is good.

I think I have seen as much white tiger as ordinary colour, since lots of chinese zoo is having white tiger and Chimelong is having much.

3. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

While it is not completely irritating per say,Manchester Sea Life has an annoying feature before you can even see the exhibits.They play a demonstration about sea turtles hatching and crawling down the beach to get to the ocean.It is interesting but annoying because unless you have already been around the collection,you have to watch it before you are even allowed to see any exhibits bar an interactive fish tank in the entrance.

That and the collection is in the middle of a shopping centre.

Azamat Shackleford likes this.
  4. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah the Sea Life intros IMO are a waste of time :/ Sea Life Michigan's is very tedious and even if it shows a good conservation message it's kinda forced

5. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They made a wild claim, with an article and a video, about how the zoo keeps animals in basements, using images from third-world zoos. And EVERYBODY, including influential politicians, fell for it! This is, by far, one of the worst examples of mob rule I've ever seen!

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

do you have a link for this?

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  7. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Chlidonias

at which "third-world zoos" were the photos and video taken? Was there a follow-up to the one above which provided evidence to say that article was fake?

9. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

On the subject of Manchester Sea Life, one thing that annoys me there is this random animatronic turtle they have that gives facts and stuff but it says stuff without you even selecting a question so it just repeats the same answers over and over again!!!:mad:

ocellated_eelpout likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

if you can't read Spanish, how do you know it is ridiculous?

12. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

As a zoo worker, here's what annoys me. When members for the public (albeit ones that clearly know quite a bit about animals and zoos etc) decide that they want to show off their knowledge to the zoo keepers in a really condescending way. They just need to realise that these guys are working really hard, trying to fit a huge amount of work into their day, and whilst they don't mind speaking to the public about the passion they have for their animals and their jobs, they really don't need people trying to rudely outdo them on knowledge. It's not impressive in any way to the keeper, it's just taking a lot of time out of their day when they could be doing something more important. Sorry if that sounds a bit ranty, but there it is. :)

13. Chlidonias

which annoys you more - that or the hilarious joke made for the twentieth time that day about "that's a funny-looking animal in that cage!" when you are inside cages cleaning or feeding?

14. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Well I can take that because I tend to blank it out. It's when people force you to engage with them only in an attempt to stroke their own over inflated egos whilst being rude and patronising at the same time, and yet you still have to smile, that really gets my goat. Be kind to your keepers guys ;)

(Can you tell I had to deal with a situation this weekend?)

15. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think its not so much a persons desire to show off but show how serious they are; sadly not everyone has the social skills to get it right without appearing to be showing off.

Of course you get some keen to show off and know they are doing it; but hopefully they are far fewer.

16. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You misunderstood Komodo99 said it was a ridiculous claim, and on the article it showed the pictures, and for a city like Barcelona that's obviously not what their exhibits would look like

17. Chlidonias

I haven't misunderstood anything.

One: JigerofLemuria said the claim from the animal rights groups was false and that their article used photos from "third-world zoos" as fake evidence.

Two: the article he linked to was an animal rights groups' article.

Three: no evidence has been presented by JigerofLemuria of where the photos were taken or that they were not taken at Barcelona Zoo. I don't know where they were taken, you don't know where they were taken. Neither of us know what the conditions look like "behind the scenes" at the Barcelona Zoo. The photos do not look like bad cages in a "third world" zoo, they look like terrible cages in a bad "first world" zoo. Which is why I'm interested in where they were taken, which JigerofLemuria is implying he knows - presumably from an explanatory article of why the animal rights groups' claim is false. But he hasn't provided that yet.

Four: if you don't know what the article says (because you don't speak Spanish and apparently didn't use a translated version to read it), you are only thinking it is "ridiculous" based on JigerofLemuria's post, and so far that is only his opinion as far as it has been presented. That's like me saying "elephants can fly" and then posting an article in Spanish, and you saying "I can't read Spanish but because you said it I automatically believe it."

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

What's worse is the zoo groupies (regular visitors) who come up to you when your talking to the public and interrupt to ask their questions, and keep pestering you while you're either answering someone else's question or trying to give a Keeper Talk.

:p

Hix

19. Chlidonias

had you ever done school groups, and when you're asking questions to the kids to get them to think about the animals, sometimes you get the accompanying adults (teachers or parents) immediately answering the question to show how smart they are?

20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, frustrating. Because often, if the kids can't answer it straight away, you can ask them to think about something that will help them get to the correct answer. But before you can push them in that direction the parents/teachers will answer because they think the kids don't know.

:p

Hix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.