Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jaguar, 20 Jul 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

That is unfortunately true.The zoo managed to get all but one of the dogs indoors so police marksmen ended up shooting one of the dogs.

Here is the kicker:The parents then tried to sue the zoo for the accident and the media jumped on their hype train and started slamming the zoo.The zoo counter sued the parents and the case was settled.

2. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Holy crap, I didn't know she decided to sue the zoo over that. It's not the fault of the zoo that she basically threw her child into an enclosure with dangerous animals. Glad it was settled.

3. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was quite A crazy incident. The Mom or the aunt of the kid wood the kid on the railing without even holding the kid

4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We had a guest throw a pocket knife at the okapi this summer.

5. natel12

I'm hoping this man got permanently banned/arrested?

6. Echobeast

Unfortunately we never caught him. But he's not the only idiot we've had this year. Had a man jump into the giraffe exhibit to retrieve his sunglasses.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One thing that annoys me is waiting behind a row of photographers taking endless shots of an animal, and not moving until it has gone out of sight, and denying me the chance to take a shot that they took (a few hundred times). I always try to move out of the way when I have finished and give someone else a chance.

8. Komodo99

I think that if there is a certain spot in an enclosure that is the absolute best viewing for the animal and people hog it,then that is quite irritating.

9. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

People who say "that's not an animal its a bird!" :confused:

AnaheimZoo and savethelephant like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

heh, people who say in response to hearing you're a birdwatcher: "The two-legged kind I hope!"

Water Dragon likes this.
  11. Komodo99

I remember when I went to South Lakes Safari Zoo and they have a bunch of free roaming animals throughout the zoo and you are not allowed to feed them like most zoos.Two girls decided to feed a ring tailed lemur a tomato and the Lemur happened to take it,take a bite out of it,spit it out and dropped it.

The girls then picked up the tomato,offered it to said lemur,but this time the lemur was'nt interested and simply barred it's teeth at the girls to make them go away.

12. Water Dragon

Something that irritates me is when you try to explain the order Carnivora to someone and they say something like "sharks are carnivores too!" I then try to explain the difference between Carnivora and litteral carnivores but no matter how many times I try to explain it to them they just don't get it!!! :mad:

AnaheimZoo and natel12 like this.
  13. Komodo99

Try explaining how a royal python is different from a cobra,can't tell you how many times I have been asked by people with straight faces about whether or not the foot and half python I'm handling is venomous.If I was handling a venomous snake I definitely wouldn't be freehandling it.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so, are you saying these people are therefore stupid? I don't get it. They don't know anything about snakes, but if you're handling a snake then to them you are "an expert", so why wouldn't you be handling a venomous snake? The Crocodile Hunter was always grabbing venomous snakes with his hands and carrying on about how dangerous they were while doing it. All reptile presenters on tv shows handle venomous snakes. It's an entirely legitimate question for someone who doesn't know what sort of snake you're holding to ask you if it is venomous.

Zia likes this.
  15. Komodo99

I understand where you are coming from and yes the general public are for most part not going to know much about snakes,that does'nt make them stupid(for the most part),the people who do ask this question are very rare and when I do get asked questions about the animals in my care they are show genuine interest in the animals rather than someone saying"a snake,oh cool".

I would'nt say I am an expert,I'm just someone who's main passion is reptiles and enjoy introducing and sharing my love of reptiles with people which may in turn encourage them to show an interest.

As for venomous snakes,as interesting as they are,I would'nt want to handle them unless I had the appropriate equipment.

16. Echobeast

I hear guests say "it's not a bird, it's an owl" all the time

AnaheimZoo and Water Dragon like this.
  17. Water Dragon

Hehe, they do it with parrots as well.

18. natel12

When people say the animals look lonely (polar bears, tigers, and other solitary animals)...

animal_expert01 likes this.
  19. TheAmurTiger

I was on Ceta Base again because I'm such a dolphin nerd, and I found several animals that died from guests throwing coins into their pool - apparently guests were throwing coins into Dolphin Cove at SeaWorld Orlando back in 1987, and one of the dolphin calves, Cassie, began swallowing them. She turned white before passing from zinc poisoning. I think Cassie was about a year old.

Another case of this happened at the beluga exhibit at Vancouver Aquarium, in which a beluga calf (it seems to be calves that swallow these usually), named Nala, also swallowed coins thrown into her pool and died at about 2 years old.

In one last case that I found, Cocoa, a 1-year-old dolphin calf at Dolphin Nursery at SeaWorld Orlando, swallowed toxic leaves that had managed to get into the pool. The thing I find hard to believe about that is, the area has a tarp or some sort of roof over it, no leaf is just going to fall into that pool without a very strong wind blowing it in from somewhere else, especially since none of the trees near Dolphin Nursery are toxic if I remember correctly. Anyway, Calla lost a calf for the 3rd time in that case, since she keeps having stillbirths for some reason.

20. TheAmurTiger

Omg that bothers me so much. "Awww that polar bear looks lonely." THEY LIVE ALONE THAT'S THE POINT -_-

natel12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.