Join our zoo community

Things people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jaguar, 20 Jul 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Exactly. The most ridiculous part is when the anti zoo animal “experts” say it...

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When people call a Black-Necked Stilt a duck. :mad:

3. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

lmfao so true though. "Look at the baby orca," no, it's a Commerson's dolphin XD.

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birds are easy:
    If it's on the water it's a duck
    If it eats you it's a vulture
    If it talks it's a parrot
    Anything else is a sparrow

TheGerenuk, Zygodactyl and natel12 like this.
  5. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

lmao I love this threat right now.

6. natel12

But at least most people can correctly identify a bald eagle :p

7. FBBird

Well, no. There was a thing on Facebook recently where a wildlife rescue agency was called in to an 'injured Bald Eagle'. Turned out to be a White-crested Black Polish CHICKEN.........

savethelephant and Chlidonias like this.
  8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

You mean most people in North America can correctly identify a Bald Eagle.

:p

Hix

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I thought that was the whole world?

10. natel12

You got me there :D

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Only to North Americans.

:p

Hix

12. FBBird

Well, that particular one couldn't. I shudder to think of the number of eagles I've eaten, if they're that hard to identify.

13. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Couple of things I saw at WWT Martin Mere today.

Saw a group of three boys who looked to be between 7-9 who decided to chase after and scare a group of wild Mallard Ducks.

Children climbing on fences,luckily parents intervened.

At the Greater Flamingo pool,there was a child who was throwing bird food from a bag directly at the Flamingoes and wild birds that where in the water.Another child also dumped an entire feed bag in and place the bag in the water instead of putting it into the nearest bin.

14. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

One of the many good things about my trip around German/Dutch/Belgian zoos last week was hearing so few English speaking visitors; I only remember overhearing 2 definite British groups. This generally meant I didn't pick up the usual comments that I hear repeated around UK zoos, although I'm sure they were present. I also managed to avoid people wanting to talk about cameras and lenses, although there were plenty of gestures expressing interest/humour/dejection in the little guy with the große Kamera!

While in the Duisburg Dolphinarium, a huge man barked something at me, to which I replied with my well practiced "sorry, I'm a stupid Englishman." He laughed and then asked in very good English if I could take a photo of him with his boy, on my camera. Luckily, his lad was not interested and walked away, so I didn't have to explain to the big man that the lens I had mounted wasn't suitable for such a shot. He then asked what paper I was reporting for. I explained that I was just a sad hobbyist, but I could have posted his photo on Duisburg's facebook, but he laughed exclaiming "no facebook! I am wanted by the Police!" He then parted with good wishes for my visit and the comment "your only problem, is you are English!" Lol! Lovely fella.

15. Elephants and Alligators

Elephants and Alligators Member 5+ year member

I remember a few years back I visited Busch Gardens Tampa and went to see the kangaroos. To make things better, this was during feeding time! I was looking to get a photograph of many of the animals there (my phone died before I could get all of them though). As I was preparing for a close-up shot. This guy literally pulled his pants down and let the kangaroo sniff his posterior, thus ruining my shot. Everyone was laughing except me (and probably the keepers if they saw). Keep in mind I was only 13 at the time (19 currently) so there was much could have done.Now if that happened nowadays............ let's just say there'd be Flip-Flops stuck in his throat (okay not really, but I would give an Alan Grant inspired speech about what a kangaroo can do to him)

then a few months ago, I went on a trip to California as a graduation present. During that trip, I visited the Sacramento Zoo and witnessed a group of, what appeared to be pre-teen girls calling an aardvark a "Bizaardvark". I corrected them and told them that this was an aardvark and not a crappy Disney show ( i didn't say that last part, but I did tell them that Bizaardvark was a show and that the animal and show were two different things) and they just glared at me.

Somedays I ask myself if intelligence is a curse. But the truth is its people with that gift that truly enjoys zoos.

16. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It really is an interesting subject to ponder. I think it makes you appreciate different things.
    If you're uncouth, you enjoy the superficial "fun" elements of the zoo, like animal shows and the chance to act like a jackass (like the kangaroo shtick, banging on the glass, laughing at monkey's asses), and are angered by the inactivity of certain animals and the fact that they're "in cages".
    People with more animal culture enjoy looking at the animals in every aspect of their nature, as well as certain exhibits above, but I do feel like most of this group, me included, are most offput by the mass public's attitude towards zoos; seeing them as a mere spectacle, either to "have fun" with no empathy or respect, or painting them all as "animal prisons".

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen Burrowing Owls and Black-Footed Cats being called babies.

18. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I heard that yesterday... and the visit before, and so on.

19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When you finally get to see an elusive species and then someone shouts that the ---- are out, which causes the miscellaneous species to dart in to its shelter, where it remains indefinitely!

20. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This one is all too common... :,(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.