Join our zoo community

Things That Irritate You in Life

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 29 Jun 2017.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

When people around you really need to blow their nose, but are content to sit there sniffing up snot very loudly every few seconds rather than just picking up a tissue.

Tafin and ZooBinh like this.
  2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hawthorn AFL Club...

3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait, what! How dare you offend the team I barrack for. :eek::p

4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When you type 'Google' into an inferior search engine (to navigate the hell out of it) and the first item in the search is the Google home page for some country you didn't even know existed.

Explanation: Admitting that 'Google' is their most frequently searched phrase, the inferior search engine is admitting they're useless. To get what I want, I have to type in 'Google NZ'; not just 'Google'; as do other people for their respective countries, therefore lessening the frequency the phrase of 'Google' is searched.

Tafin and SpinyLiving like this.
  6. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

People on the train provide me with plenty of sources for irritation usually. You know, talking to each other or on their phones way too loudly, putting their luggage in the walkways or blocking or occupying seats with it, making it difficult for people to get to or from their seats, being rude and all those nice things. Yeah, it really is fun to go to work by train...

7. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Still a pretty good job!

8. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tonsil stones. I'm dealing with a massive ****ing one right now.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Mar 2019
  9. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

• When people cut in front of you in the lunch line
    • When people on the bus either a) talk obnoxiously loud or b) listen to music very loudly without headphones or earbuds
    • When people are blatantly ignorant (example: one of the questions on my last history final was "How many states are currently in the U.S.? Six kids got it wrong. I'm sorry but if you're a U.S. over 6 years old you should know that fact.)
    • When kids in class are acting stupidly and this results in the entire class being punished
    • All the crowds and waiting in line at Disneyland (I love Disneyland but the lines and crowds kill me)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2019
  10. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking of Disney, I find it mildly annoying when people mistake every other traditionally animated movie as a Disney film, like Anastasia.

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I always say "I love animals, but I also love the way they taste".

12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of the things that really irks me not just about animal rights activists but also about at least some animal lovers and many, or at least some, environmentalists and climate change activists is that it always seem they want to want to "criminalize" or demonize meat consumption or at least make people feel guilty about consuming meat.

I am an omnivore and I like it that way. I love my fruits, vegetables and plant products, but I also like to eat meat and other animal products like eggs and dairy. I still believe that humans evolved to be omnivores and that our biology shows that we are made to be omnivores.

Yes, I am certainly aware of the environmental impact of meat consumption and animal agriculture and I do believe that is something to address, as are concerns regarding animal welfare. I am willing to admit that we probably ought to somewhat downsize our consumption of animal products and I am willing to enjoy vegetarian or even vegan meals when prepared well. But I still do not believe that this is reason to argue for the complete elimination of meat from our diets or to demonize meat consumption.

PS: I no way intend to attack anyone for their dietary choices.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2019
  13. Zoofan15

When people say there’s no such thing as a dumb question. There’s actually several:

1. When a parking attendant asks you if you’re looking for a car parking space as you slowly circle a crowded car park.

“Nah mate, I’m looking a Gaboon viper that escaped from the zoo. Have you seen it, coz it’s very much missed?”

2. When you say you’ve lost something and someone asks you where did you last see it.

That’s kind of what makes it lost....

3. When someone asks what you’re doing and it’s really obvious what you’re doing.

“I’m flying a kite.”

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Mediocrity in institutions across the board is a constant source of irritation.

The prevalence of conformity , group-think and mobbing type behaviour , is one of the things that irritate / depress / disappoint / disgust and anger me most about the human condition. I think it breeds a toxic moral / ethical cowardice and I hate that this goes encouraged by some organizational cultures and the subsequent damage that it inflicts on individuals, institutions and on projects.

Jair Bolsonaro and his supporters , enough said...

Malls / shopping centres etc. I just find them to be ugly hellish cretinous neon lit citadels of mindless zombified consumerism and I'd rather have a tooth extracted than be inside one.

Hollow platitudes.

Brown nosing machiavellian asskissers , they should grow a pair and maybe a spine while they are at it too.

Moral cowardice.

The recent rise of fascism.

Consumerism / overconsumption / commercial advertising. I believe this is the source of most of our ecological and societal woes ,enough said really.

Every US president and political administration of the past half a century and more with the exception of Jimmy Carter.

The current uninspired state of conservation biology , corruption / nepotism within it too.

People who don't give a damn about the natural world or who heap scorn on conservationists with a total gleeful pig headed ignorance born from either indifference or a deluded notion of being elevated above nature.

Most animal rights activists and particularly those who are not capable of listening or changing their minds, enough said...

The slavish adherence to the paradigms of our current neoliberal economic system.

Social media like facebook , twitter etc.

The academic system and how thoroughly corrupt and morally bankrupt it is despite all the platitudes.

Biodiversity loss , enough said.

Extinctions, enough said.

Climate change , enough said.

Quite frankly , vegans who feel the need to impose their worldview on you.

A statistically significant percentage of PhD students I have met and their academic advisors too, w*****s.

This bull**** trend of "wokeness" in the left, I feel that this is ultimately just fuelling the rise of the far right and as someone centre left on the political spectrum this seriously concerns me.

Twitter "conservationists"

The association / prejudice that a good many people have of biologists / conservation biologists all being long haired tie dye t shirt wearing hippie pot smokers singing cumbuyah around a fire. That is definitely not appreciated , isn't even close to being accurate and certainly doesn't describe me.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2020
  15. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The corruption of anti-poachers in Central Africa, the DRC I think, and how the WCS is doing nothing about it.

16. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When people assume my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are dirty, but they're literally cleaner than the people proposing it.

When someone talks about how bad reptiles smell - who, themselves, don't really have an odor - but their lovable labrador smells like garbage and feces mixed together.

17. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

How somebody can photoshop a dog’s head onto a pony’s body and use it as a thumbnail to get clicks.

LowlandGorilla4 and SpinyLiving like this.
  18. Zoofan15

When you’ve finished watching a YouTube video and just wanna chill and read the comments when it starts automatically loading the next video. How often is the next video something you actually wanna see?

19. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When you're on the YouTube app and you wanna throw your video down in the corner and listen to it while looking for another video, but YouTube's new "Child Protection" services pause the video...

20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't had any problems with this yet. Where are you encountering it?

Junklekitteb and EsserWarrior like this.