Join our zoo community

Thread of the Year 2022: Nominations

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by pachyderm pro, 29 Nov 2022.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As we approach the end of year, it's time for the 6th annual ZooChat Thread of the Year completion. It really is incredible the difference a year makes. 2021 was seen as a somewhat lackluster year for the community (although there were still some excellent threads that were produced during that time). Travel was still limited and the effects of the pandemic were still very much being felt. Fast forward a year later, 2022 has been one of the greatest years for content on ZooChat in a long while. While I can think of a clear frontrunner, there are several threads I anticipate will be locks for the nominations. For any newbies, here is quick refresher of the rules.

1.) Post the names the three threads that you would like to nominate for thread of the year on this thread. Any type of thread is eligible for nomination: news, discussion, travel, lists, history, speculative design, etc. Anything goes as long as it was created this year.
    2.) Please put both the title and name of the user that created the thread.
    3.) You cannot submit your own thread to be nominated. However, if your thread is within the top contenders you are permitted to vote for it if you wish.
    4.) You must nominate exactly three different threads, any more or less and your nominations will not be counted.
    5.) When the nominations have concluded, the top five threads that received the most nominations will be entered into a poll. In the event two threads tie for the fifth most submissions, both threads will be included in the poll. So there could hypothetically be six or seven threads nominated l if the circumstances are there.
    6.) Absolutely no privately soliciting votes under any circumstances. If you are caught doing so, it will result in your nominations being disregarded and your thread becoming indelible for nomination.

Nominations will be finalized on December 15th at midnight Chicago time. From there a separate thread will be created to vote for the winner between the selected nominees. Whatever thread has the most votes on midnight December 31st is the winner of the 2022 ZooChat Thread of the Year. Feel free to ask for any further clarifications if needed and send in your selections. Happy voting! :)

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have two threads I know I want to nominate but cannot decide on my third - it's been such an excellent year for amazing threads.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Europe's 100 must-see exhibits - Lintworm
    A Zoo Guide Library - TeaLovingDave
    America's Fifty Must-see Zoos - Pachyderm Pro

4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Europe's 100 Must-See Exhibits - lintworm
    America's 50 Must-See Zoos - pachyderm pro
    Where To See Captive Animals in the US - TinoPup

TinoPup and pachyderm pro like this.
  5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would nominate:

Europe's 100 must see exhibit by lintworm
    A Guidebook Library: TLD's year-long randomised walkthrough of zoo guides by TLD
    There & Back Again: Brooks to Key Largo to Kachemak Bay by Pleistohorse

TeaLovingDave and pachyderm pro like this.
  6. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

This has been one of the best years for ZooChat threads in a while, so this will be a bit of a tricky one, but I would have to go with…
    .America’s 50 Must-See Zoos by @pachyderm pro
    .Europe’s 50 Must-See Exhibits by @lintworm
    .Snowleopard’s 2022 Rod Trip: Denmark, Sweden & Norway by @snowleopard

snowleopard and pachyderm pro like this.
  7. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tricky one, though the first of my picks was a shoo-in .... but here goes:

Europe's 100 must-see exhibits by @lintworm
    America's Fifty Must-see Zoos by @pachyderm pro
    Snowleopard’s 2022 Rod Trip: Denmark, Sweden & Norway by @snowleopard

Kalaw, snowleopard and pachyderm pro like this.
  9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

pachyderm pro likes this.
  10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

pachyderm pro likes this.
  11. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Sorry, Europe’s 100 Must-See Exhibits :p.

12. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I sometimes wish I only opted for 50 :p

ZooBinh, Fallax, Kalaw and 6 others like this.
  13. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My nominations are:

America's 50 Must-See Zoos by @pachyderm pro
    Where to See Captive Animals in the US by @TinoPup
    There & Back Again: Brooks to Key Largo to Kachemak Bay by @Pleistohorse

15. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Quite a few great threads this year. I'm nominating the following threads.
    • "Europe's 100 must see exhibits" by @lintworm. An amazing sequel to the 2018 Thread of the Year and Champion's Face-Off winner "Europe's 50 must see zoos", Lintworm returns to compile a list of the best exhibits across the continent. Europe's 100 must see exhibits
    • "America's 50 must-see zoos" by @pachyderm pro. Four years after another user with a shoebill profile picture created a list of the 50 best zoos in Europe, pachy set out to do the same for the United States. There's a little bit of everything listed here, from classic zoos to aquaria to theme parks. America's 50 Must See Zoos
    • "Zoochat Challenge North America 2022" by @Coelacanth18. This year's North America challenge was quite unique, as instead of just one challenge and group of animals that must be seen, there are 36 trials, each with a different requirement to complete. By going away from the typical taxonomic or geographic categories, this challenge was personally my favourite to compete in. It's an innovative twist that I thoroughly enjoyed. Zoochat Challenge North America 2022
    Plus an honourable mention to another amazing thread which just missed out on being one of my nominations: "Snowleopard's 2022 road trip" by @snowleopard was another excellent travel thread, focusing on the Nordic countries. Snowleopard's 2022 Road Trip: Denmark, Sweden & Norway

16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Difficult to select three, as there are at least for threads I would consider worthy of a nomination... In random order:

Making room on the ark – can rare zoo animals replace common ones in Europe? by @Jurek7 A timely thread on a timely topic.

Migration Island by @Mr. Zootycoon a far too short travel thread with what is some of the best travel writing I have seen on the site recently that immediately makes me want to go there.

A Guidebook Library: TLD's year-long randomised walkthrough of zoo guides by @TeaLovingDave In terms of number of written words, this is an absolute behemoth and maybe the hardest thread to keep going and seemingly succeeding in writing throughout the year.

Shoutout to @pachyderm pro and @snowleopard for their threads, but they won't need my vote to ensure nomination ;). Highly enjoyable reads and I am glad to have gotten a worthy successor on the other side of the Atlantic. If only @WhistlingKite24 thread on Brisbane Wildlife had started this year (I only became aware of it in 2022), it would have secured my nomination instantly. I can only wish to live in a place with so much wildlife in an urban setting. A most helpful thread if I ever make it to Brisbane, but in the first place a joy to read from cold cold Europe.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2022
  17. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Migration Island by @Mr. Zootycoon

May add more if I can think of any others which allign with my interests, (ie. wildllife watching stuff.)

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Per the rules you cannot vote until/unless you vote for three threads:

4.) You must nominate exactly three different threads, any more or less and your nominations will not be counted.

19. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry then.

20. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Been a great year for content. Thanks to everyone for their hard work - looking forward to the same or better in 2023!

My nominations:

America's 50 Must See Zoos by @pachyderm pro
    A Guidebook Library by @TeaLovingDave
    Where to See Captive Animals by @TinoPup

Also a shout-out to @lintworm on their thread. Glad to see it's effectively secured a spot; I wasn't sure if 1,000+ replies and 65 likes on the OP would be enough to get it here :p I didn't participate in it as much as I feel I should've, but it's a fantastic resource and a great read.