Join our zoo community

Thylacine living in zoo ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yoman35, 1 Sep 2007.

1. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

Cambridge uni zoology museum has various bits although I dont know how much is on show but I guess if anyone ever wanted to view them they could easily be found and brought out. According to quick search they have atleast a couple of skeletons and skins (one of each male and female) and possibly some from a juvenile. Also it says several organs are in pots notably the intestines and also the pouch. But I cant for the life of me remember if a whole one is on display and I was only in there the other day?!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm given to understand at least one of the thylacine mounts held at Oxford is the last thylacine from London Zoo, which if memory serves was also something like the fourth-to-last one recorded in the world.

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Where exactly in the Natural History Museum is the thylacine?

(And where did patrick go?)

4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

After the death of London Zoo's last thylacine in 1931 its body was certainly presented to the Oxford University Zoology Museum - where a detailed study was made of the anatomy of its head.

I thought, though, that its remains were preserved in spirit rather than being mounted?

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hallo Nanoboy

The thylacine is in the 'Mammal Gallery' on the ground floor to the left of Dippy the Diplodocus. It is near the 'Dinostore'.

6. TeaLovingDave

Might well be - it was fact that they had it which stuck in my mind, was making an assumption when I said mount.

7. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

a thylacine is mounted at the grand galerie de evolution musuem at the jardin des plantes in paris. It is most likely lived at the menagerie next door, as is the case of the quagga also mounted at this musuem. of course, all at the hall of extinct animals. it should be mentioned that sometimes the specimens are moved.

8. nanoboy

Cheers.

So enter the museum so that you are facing the big dinosaur, and the tassie tiger is somewhere off to the left on the ground floor. Cheers.

My brother works on the same street as the Natural History Museum, so I'll ask him to take a pic for me. :D I can't recall ever seeing it myself.

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just found this picture of the London thylacine: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cenz/145794845/"]Thylacine | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/11848145_62e56b687c_t.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@11848145@@AMEPARAM@@62e56b687c[/ame]

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know why there is a black box instead of the photo, but if you click on the title it will take you to the photo.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  11. nanoboy

Aha! I think I know where that is. It looks to be in one of those glass cases along a long corridor. There is also a mounted dodo there, which I think is actually a model of a dodo. (Can anyone confirm this?)

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There are thylacines mounted in Berlin & Vienna Natural History Museums too, I would imagine they are probably in most older museums.

Here are pictures I took of thylacines in Berlin, London & Vienna:

Attached Files:

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The one I put a photo up of is in the marsupial case in the mammal gallery.

14. Tim May

London Zoo's third thylacine arrived at the zoo in 1856 and was sent to Berlin Zoo in 1864 where it subsequently died; this specimen holds the longevity record for the species outside of Australia.

I believe that this is the animal on display in the Berlin Museum.

15. Tim May

The Jardin des Plantes Menagerie in Paris acquired two thylacines in 1886; both animals had spent a while in London Zoo before being sent to Paris.

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would like to see more photos of mounted Thylacines on here if any one has them.

Best of these three I think is the Vienna specimen, at least the head resembles the live animal. Most are pretty badly mounted and are very faded too, giving a false impression of both the animal's appearance and colour.

17. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

I think that it was put together fairly recently, WW2 era?? I dont know how much is real dodo and how much is from a turkey/other bird

18. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is also one on display at the Natural History museum in Brussels together with some nice pictures and info on the extinction.

19. Tim May

I loaded a couple of photographs of the Brussels thylacine in 2010; see links below:-

http://www.zoochat.com/683/thylacine-natural-history-museum-brussels-14th-150296/

http://www.zoochat.com/683/thylacine-natural-history-museum-brussels-14th-150281/

20. TeaLovingDave

Although not a stuffed specimen, I shall have to upload my photos of the thylacine skeleton at Manchester Museum - if memory serves, it is mounted next to a wolf skeleton, allowing easy comparison between the two.