Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin News 2018

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 3 Jan 2018.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was first talk of both Komodo dragon and Tomistoma, so maybe they have been dropped...

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Try Beamtendeutsch...;)

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I think Johannes would also be one of those type of boys. He seems to be much more entertained by a nice boiled egg (shell still on). I hope he gets to enjoy plenty more of these little treats for many years to come following his and Tina’s big, exciting move! I really can’t wait to see this, it will be so good for them. I guess my next German trip will be Spring 2019, in this case, which actually fits quite nicely for me considering that I have plenty of other priority trips to fit in before that point.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2018
  4. Batto

@Dassie rat: the relict specimens of the swift fruit and Gambian epauletted bat are ancient. The Pteropus will stay, the Eidolon ?

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Batto. It's a shame that very few zoos keep more than two species of bats and/or try to breed them.

6. Batto

Indeed. But that's a result of being nocturnal, small (in most cases), fast-paced and for the majority of visitors, creepy. ^^ Thankfully, at least some institutions and dedicated people try to improve this negative perception.

7. Dassie rat

Thanks Batto. Over the last few years, more people are showing interest in bats and attend bat walks. One problem of some bat enclosures is that it is difficult to identify individual species. When I went to Central Park Zoo, a bat enclosure had labels indicating 6 species, but I wasn't able to determine if there were more than one, nor which species it was.

8. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, who knows what the other projects will be like, for example, the Arctic and the Amazon

9. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Vision

This was the first draft...i heard the himalaya part is already scraped.

10. Dassie rat

This may be linked to the discussion about why so many captive walruses lack tusks.

11. lintworm

I think you are misinformed, there most certainly have been delays and it is not top priority anymore, but I haven't seen anything about it being scrapped already. For now it is the Alfred Brehmhaus and the next thing will be the Pachyderm house (Atom bomb shelter).

12. lintworm

Berlin TP has just announced to have bred Unstriped tamandua, a first for Germany.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  13. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i'm confident, but I do not understand a thing ,the Berlin Zoo does not master plan with tierpark?

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Where are the tamandua in the zoo? Can't place them in my memory.

15. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

Tamanduas are in the Tierpark, not in the zoo. Last time I was there they were to be found in the 'Dickhäuterhaus'.

16. lintworm

They are now in the Monkey house, but were in the Pachyderm house until recently.

SabineB likes this.
  17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At least 3 dholes born at the Tierpark :).

pipaluk likes this.
  18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2012 Tierpark Berlin recieved Chacoan peccaries from the USA and already 2013 the Tierpark archieved the European first-breeding.
    Now again ( at least ) 3 piglets were born at Berlin :).

pipaluk and Fallax like this.
  19. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Today, the actual building process for the Brehm Building starts. At the same time, an (apparently official) updated visualization of the future Brehm building has been circulated via Facebook:
    [​IMG]
    Source: Facebook page of Freunde der Hauptstadtzoos/ Tierpark Berlin

It now appears that Binturongs will accompany the Sun Bears (this version has been discussed before but as of recent months the Binturongs were no longer mentioned by the Park. I am very happy about this update. Together with the walk-through-enclosure for the tree kangaroos and a hopefully well-designed and well-equipped tropical hall this could become one of my personal highlights.

Also, the small front exhibits at the main entrance apparently will house Leopard Cats (Palawan Bengalkatzen). So this quite recent addition will remain in the park. This information is new for me and of course also a pleasant one.

Now it seems that alongside new arrivals such as Golden Cats and Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroos and species from other areas of the park (Sun Bears, False Gharials) at least most of the interesting species will remain in the Brehm Building (Sumatran Tigers, Javan Leopards, Clouded Leopards, Binturongs, Leopard Cats and - for now - Malayan Tigers).

20. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Tierpark posted the same visualisation now, so it's definately the official version.

Besides that they also present a small preview on the future indoor exhibit for the Sumatran Tigers:
    [​IMG]
    Copyright Tierpark Berlin

Looks like a rather impressive indoor enclosure

CaliHans, Fallax and Kifaru Bwana like this.