Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2021

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 24 Jan 2021.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh class. Where abouts have they broken ground for that otter exhibit? Where are the buffalos and zebras gone or are they just being moved around the area they were?

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I ponder if these animals will be mixed. That would be interesting.

3. AthleticBinturong

Think that’s the plan

4. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The annual report indeed appears to speak about just one enclosure for otters, babirusas and monkeys. But I can't say, if this is for sure.

As to the zebras and buffalos, they have been both moving animals around inside the park (African Forest Buffalos, Somali wild ass) as well as sending animals away (Chapman's zebras, possibly Grevy's?).

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  5. AthleticBinturong

What zebra is on the plan?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. markmeier

Not so sure. Someone reported the Grevy's zebras may be gone as well. This would leave us with Hartmann's Mountain Zebras. But perhaps the Grevy's just have been moved as well.

If you visit the park these days, you will encounter many surprises anyways: Animals aren't where they used to be and some may actually be gone for good. But there is also new animals every now and then.

This causes rather mixed reactions as well. Some visitors are thrilled to see the park developing at this speed. Others feel overwhelmed by feelings of loss and pain.

I tend to be mainly optimistic about the whole process. But I cannot recommend visiting the park just now, if you want to see all parts of the park or even plan to see a number of specific species. On the other hand, there probably wasn't a more exciting time than this ever since the park opened and first got developed in the 1950ies and 1960ies.

7. AthleticBinturong

Ye I feel like I’ll leave off visiting Berlin for a few years now. Wait until some of the projects are finished. Only ever visited in 2019 so never got to see the old carnivore houses in either. Happy to see the Tierpark in particular advance so quickly.

markmeier likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think they have a Southern and East African Savannah sub Division. Again correct me if I am off the track there.

9. markmeier

Berlin Tierpark now posted some videos of the demolition works at the old pachydermy/ prospective elephant building. These pictures really touch something inside of me. It feels like a historic moment to me. After all, this used to be one of the biggest zoo buildings in the world, and they tear its "heart" down in just some weeks. I really hope, the final results will be as attractive as I anticipate. For the elephants it definitely will be a massive improvement.

Once they removed all the old frames and windows, they are going to place the new roof on top of the old walls (it is 3.500 m² or 0.86 acres large).

Last edited: 8 Oct 2021
  10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to going back once this is complete, I luckily went to both Berlin zoos before there major works in recent years where started and glad I did. However certainly eager to see this and the cat house in a few years.

markmeier likes this.
  11. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

One of the last animals in the Krokodilhaus male 46-year old American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) Eugen has left the zoo and arrived at Zoo Budapest. Sadly gis longtime companion from the Tierpark Berlin, who was originally supposed to accompany him, died unexpectedly due to an intestinal rupture. Tierpark Berlin now has no American Alligators left.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Berlin (14/10/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBC3o8J_sb/

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the Netherlands and from France each a male Francois langur arrived for the new Himalaya area arrived. In the next months 3 more animals are expected to join the 2 males.

13. markmeier

They also published an update of the enclosure:
    [​IMG]
    Source: Tierpark Berlin (via Facebook)

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Then they still have to improve the enclosure before the animals can get in ;) !

Antoine likes this.
  15. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tierpark Berlin has Balabac Chevrotain in the Alfred Brehm House :) @markmeier do you know, where they come from?

16. markmeier

I have never heard anything about them before. So I can't really help. But I'm happy to hear about this now! Zootierliste confirms, it (or they) arrived this month and there is a sign for them. But it doesn't say any more than that, unfortunately.

Do you know in which enclosure it/they live/s?

Last edited: 28 Oct 2021
    twilighter likes this.
  17. twilighter

I believe they are in the Tropical Hall.

markmeier likes this.
  18. markmeier

There have been/ will be some more changes:
    - All domestic reindeers left the park and will be replaced by Forest Reindeer. Before the latter arrive, the enclosure will be slightly remodeled.
    - The waterbucks also left the park. The already existing Arabian Oryx will teke their place (don't ask which species will get the present oryx enclosures, perhaps they create a second enclosure for the gerenuks).
    - The park plans to introduce Bantengs soon.

19. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's just a single female, from Wroclaw.

markmeier, GregOz and twilighter like this.
  20. twilighter

Thank you very much @MikeG!