Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 4 Jan 2022.

1. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I guess the video review of 2021 also marks the need for a fresh thread:

As you can see in the video, the new Himalaya Area can also be considered as kind of a kickoff for 2022. According to the latest interviews with Tierpark's and Zoo's director Mr. Knieriem, this huge new themed landscape is still scheduled to open by Spring this year. After a lot of delay, this really is good news for me.

The second project scheduled for 2022 is the mentioned mixed species exhibit with Otters, Babirusas and Crested Black Macaques. As stated in one of the last posts, some minor preparations are already visible. I'm not sure how realistic 2022 is, though.

Other than that, 2022 hopefully will see large progress with the modernized elephant building as well as the new savannah landscape. As White-Bearded Wildebeests and Beisas/ East African Oryx already arrived, this should even be the biggest focus now. So far, I didn't hear anything about concrete plans to get new African Elephants. This probably won't officially become an issue before 2023 (if they do get the building ready).

On the other hand, Mr. Knieriem clearly confirmed his plans to attach a second polar bear enclosure at Berlin Tierpark in the future, once they secured funding for this. This is the first new announcement on this topic in many months and even without any clear schedule shows a perspective. However, Knieriem is still not sure, if Berlin Zoo also will keep Polar Bears again, after their last old female bear just died. As for the Tierpark, I still haven't heard any official confirmation there will be African lions or rhinos as used to be the plan some years ago. I hope this topic will come up again, once the focus shifts to savannah and elephant building.

2. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks as always for all the news! I can’t wait to return to see all these developments!

has it been mentioned where the new macaque and babirusa enclosure will be? Near the Alfred-brehm?

3. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Near the 'Patagonia' restaurant in the former exhibit of black necked swans, according to the annual report.

markmeier and HungarianBison like this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Today the tierpark revealed the birth of a male Girgentana goat (Capra aegagrus f. hircus), who was born on the 31st of December last year.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Berlin (10/01/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CYjsFHoMSML/

Haliaeetus and AthleticBinturong like this.
  6. markmeier

Here are some early pictures of the latest addition (0,3 out of 1,3 newly arrived blue wildebeests.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see them, when I went to the park for a short visit. But I am very much looking forward to the large savannah exhibit.

7. AthleticBinturong

Likewise, how are the building works going?

8. markmeier

Well, Himalaya is still scheduled to open in 2022 (or even in Spring) and so is the mixed species exhibit for Otters, Babirusas and Crested Black Macaques. The latter only starts to develop into a building site. And unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to get any impressions on how the work for Himalaya progresses. The whole area is fenced off. The same goes for the interior of the elephant building. As for the large savannah exhibit, I could not see any developments there. But they moved all the animals out of the area and there are some written information which announce the new savannah.

9. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

New male Sumatran tiger, Jae Jae arrived this morning.

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the press release announcing the arrival of Jae-Jae (Born at San Francisco in 2008, imported from Akron to London in 2012 and then moved to Le Parc De Felins in 2019) Tierpark confirm that he will be an intended mate for female, Mayang.

Extensive tests and genetic tracking have revealed that the severe knee issues with Mayang's previous cubs were most likely inherited from there father (Harfan, who passed away in 2020) Because of this the EEP and GSMP for Sumatran Tiger's has given the go-ahead to attempt to breed from Mayang again. Mayang was imported from Indonesia in 2013 and has no relation to any of the existing European population with the exception of her four previous cubs.

They (2.2 and now 3 years old) are still resident at Tierpark and will remain so for the rest of there natural lives. After consultation with the GSMP and EAZA it was decided to exclude them from the breeding pool due to there health issues. Tierpark also agreed that it would be unethical to move them to other zoos as none breeding individuals due to the extensive vet treatment they are likely to need as they grow older. To make more space for them, later this year Tierpark will go out of Malayan Tiger's. Where the Malayan's will go has yet to be announced

11. AthleticBinturong

Shame to lose the malayan tigers.

zoomaniac likes this.
  12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Here's hoping Jae-Jae will become a father again soon. He's been missed a lot at London since he left

13. markmeier

I think, I remember some plans to move Malayan Tigers to Berlin Zoo in the long run, whereas Berlin Tierpark then will get Amur Tigers again. I'm not sure, if this plan is still being upheld, though.

In my opinion, it seems a good strategy to have the Brehm building focus on Sumatra Tigers, Java Leopards and Clouded Leopards (alongside Sun Bears, Binturongs...). This way they can still have a strong attractive variety to present to the public as well as enough space to accomodate the needs of each species and optimal conditions for breeding.

Of course, the far larger variety was fascinating in its own way. But this was rather the case for zoo nerds like us. Most visitors just saw lots and lots of virtually identical tigers, leopards etc. They probably even think it's far more vatiety now with bears, tree kangaroos, gharials. During my last visit I actually also had to agree that the building looks far more attractive now, even though some interesting species and subspecies are missing.

14. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On top of this, one could add that the future of Malayan tiger in Europe seem quite bleak. This couple is of no genetic value (I think they are brothers and sisters) and there is few unrelated individuals remaining in Europe (and even less allowing breeding). If another zoo is interested to house them, this decision makes total sense.

15. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the ideal case is to send the European Malayan tigers to the US as AZA has a program for the subspecies and is in need of new animals for genetics. I don’t know the relatedness of the animals in America to those in Europe though, but it would allow all the animals on both sides of the Atlantic to be a part of a single captive population.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do agree that the program would be best served by bringing all Malayan tigers to SSP/AZA zoos.
    Stick with Sumatran and Siberian tigers in Europe and expand the Sumatran program with new founders from Indonesia.

JurassicMax and Antoine like this.
  17. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Totally agree. They could be send to Asian zoos as well if they have breeding program also. Given how the European tigers are inter-related, sending only the three of four youngest should be enough and include much of the existing genetic diversity retained in the population.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Al

@markmeier i noticed on Zootierliste the arrival of bearded saki, do you have any more info on this and their location at the tierpark?

19. markmeier

Apparently, the remaining 1,0 White-Faced Saki moved over to the Silvery Marmosets. So it seems like the 2,0 Red-Backed Bearded Sakis likely will take their place and move in together with the Colombian Red Howlers and the Capuchin Monkeys.

20. Al

That will certainly make an interesting exhibit! Do the howlers get on well with the capuchins? The bearded saki have some personality so I think will certainly enjoy the company!

German Zoo World likes this.