Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 4 Jan 2022.

1. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Didn't they start construction on elephants in 2021? Then again, it may be a Reich der Jäger situation where there is so much structural work to be done...

2. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Usually, they like to give a somewhat "optimistic" schedule. But then some issues kick in and they keep delaying or sacking their deadlines. At one point, the elephant building even was scheduled for Summer 2022. So far, they haven't even started working on the new roof. Apparently, Covid also makes it more difficult to get building material or even enough work force/ construction companies. I still hope for the best, but I always thought I would be happy if they finish it until 2025. The experiences with the Brehm building didn't really raise my expectations (that is concerning speed, I actually am quite happy with the modernised Brehm building).

3. markmeier

An update about the storms which hit the park some weeks ago and this question:

In addition to the old trees the building site of the pachydermy building also got hit. The main damage happened to the big mammoth/elephant mosaic which had been protected by some wooden plates ever since the old roof came off. The storm tore the protection apart and damaged some parts of the mosaic. The park has been trying to relocate the mosaic for weeks now but unfortunately so far they didn't find an appropriate company to do it.
    Here is an article with some pictures from "inside" the old building:
    Mammut-Mosaik vom Aussterben bedroht

Other than that, all media work of Berlin Tierpark and Berlin Zoo now concentrates on supporting Ukrainian zoos (first and foremost the one in Kyiv). So far they collected some 80,000 Euro as well as goods and organized at least two transports.

4. markmeier

Berlin Tierpark will look after an old couple of Siamangs from Osnabrück temporarily. They moved into the last and biggest enclosure at the small deadend near seagull aviary and petting zoo/domestic animals.

The park also informed the public that they start to get rather busy (I actually was quite surprised how crowded the place was, when I last visited the park a couple of times - and the weather wasn't even that warm or at least sunny then). So it is highly recommended to get tickets in advance (online or via any sales offices and ticket machines of Berlin's public transport company BVG). The park also installed own ticket machines at their entrances. But if the line is already quite long, this probably won't help very much. I'm really happy for the park, though. The last couple of years with Corona haven't been easy for them.

5. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the Tierpark today and, yes, it was very packed with visitors. There is many ongoing projects and the big part of the zoo is fenced, but there is still a lot to be seen. The main issue is that the people are concentrated on the smaller visitor area and it is really busy, especially around noon. Very few restaurants are working and there were huge ques during the whole day. Having food and drinks is not a bet idea, if one visit those days.

6. markmeier

Update on the last update: Apparently, the art work did NOT get hit by the storm (only the wooden protection did). However, it DID get hit by one of the construction companies some time ago. But the damage only became known to the public after (and because) the storm tore the protection off. They plan to repair the mosaic and install it somewhere in the entrance area of the modernised building. And they also put a protection up again.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Extremely glad that the mosaic is to be retained in the new building, given the creeping loss of statues, mosaics and other artwork in recent years!

8. markmeier

Oh, and the sponsoring association put up a video of the newest arrivals (I really like Siamangs and I am even a bit sad they won't stay for good).

Such pretty fellows!

@TeaLovingDave Same here. A lot of Tierpark fans have been worried about the future of the mosaic (many thought it might end up in some depot).

Kifaru Bwana and JurassicMax like this.
  9. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male sun bear Johannes died unexpectedly yesterday evening at the age of 25. His mother Tina still lives in the Alfred-Brehm house.

Antoine, JurassicMax and Cat-Man like this.
  10. markmeier

A female Bat-eared Fox arrived, making it 1,1 again. And it does kind of look like they get along just fine:

Also, the work on Himalaya seems to be nearing completion. Now they started to give a new design to the small snack bar close to monkey house and mountain. They already relocated the monkey statue and now they started to give the small building a grey "mountainy" look.

11. markmeier

Oh, and there is a new-born Southern three-banded Armadillo:

12. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wonderful species and shamefully unrepresentative in major zoos.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  13. markmeier

According to a user on Zoofreunde forum, the 1,1 Musk Deer from Leipzig now moved to the prior Musk Deer enclosure at the wall between castle entrance and monkey house. So the Bharals/ Blue Sheep moved to Himalaya as well. It is very interesting to see all these movements in the park again. With Himalaya nearing completion, a lot of pieces - pardon species - fall into place again. And of course there might be some surprises as well. For instance, no one really knows what the park will put in the former snow leopard enclosure near the Brehm building. So besides the new Himalaya area by itself this makes everyone quite curious as well. I just hope there won't be (m)any empty enclosures for long...

14. markmeier

And now it's finally official: Himalaya opens on April 5th! I am very much looking forward to it.

15. markmeier

Most Covid measures get suspended by tomorrow:
    - All buildings are open again, including the giraffe building.
    - Masks are no longer required in the buildings nor anywhere else in the park, apart from the lemure forest walk-through exhibit (perhaps to protect the primates?). But this exhibit hasn't even been open at all until now.
    - The flight show starts again from Tuesdays to Sundays (at 1:30 PM)
    - The electric train rides again starting on Monday.

Also, Berlin Tierpark offers free entrance for refugees from Ukraine from Mondays to Fridays except for bank holidays (they did the same for Syrian refugees, if I remember correctly). Berlin Zoo and Aquarium do not participate, as they already are quite crowded.

16. markmeier

Also, they just sent some impressions from the Red Panda exhibit, less than a week before they open Himalaya:

And there has been some offspring for the Mountain Reedbucks:

17. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone visited the new Himalayan area yet? I’d love to hear your thoughts and see some photos of the area!

HungarianBison and Shirokuma like this.
  18. markmeier

@Al: There you go (I hope it's not too lengthy):

My overall impression of Himalaya was still more positive than I had expected (and my expectations actually were quite high). In my eyes, the already really charming area has been significantly upgraded. The following impressions contributed to this:

1) A comparatively unobtrusive but at the same time convincing landscape design
    Actually, the initially planned design elements have been significantly reduced. This way, the landscaping is kept rather unobtrusive but extremely convincing with a strong focus on plantings and natural stone. There is relatively little artificial rock (except for some large climbing rocks for children you hardly notice much of it). Most of the shelters, bridges and benches, but also fences, are reduced to natural or near-natural materials such as wood and rope with relatively little metal, fabric or paint/colour. All in all, this creates a really convincing, natural look. And where artistic elements such as colourful flags or animal or landscape drawings do appear, I find them unobtrusive and pleasing. The didactics as well as play and movement elements for children (balancing paths, climbing rocks, a swing) have also been integrated quite successfully into the overall picture.

2) Optimised animal facilities with varied immersion effects
    Even though many of the exhibits convinced me in the past, they have been noticeably upgraded with a lot of rock and plants. In addition, you feel much closer to the animals but also to the enclosures through various platforms (similar to the bison one at the main entrance), rustic wooden shelters (similar to the ones at Brehm house and monkey house but less exotic), rock or stone wall "windows" with or without glass and, in the case of the panda-deer-exhibit, even a bridge leading into the enclosure. (Almost) Everywhere you feel like you are in the middle of everything and the enclosures not only seem closer, but somehow also much bigger. I really wondered whether the snow leopard enclosure has been enlarged. But like the vulture aviary at the Brehm House, it could simply have something to do with the perspective.

3) Attractive, varied and well-placed species selection
    The division of "Takin valley", "summit" and the wide plateau behind it is also coherently conveyed by the animal population.
    - The opening is quite impressive with the large, colourful gate and the tall bamboo. The monkeys didn't act like they fully arrived yet (if they don't always sit around so calm), but that's not too bad. Along the same lines, the large bird aviary is not particularly lively either, despite the mixed species. But I think it's quite ok for opening the area and it is still better variety than with only two different birds of prey like before. Of course, I missed the promised pikas and bobaks a bit (unfortunately I didn't see the squirrels, but they could make up for it, even if you can only watch them through narrow slits).
    - In Takin Valley, I found the "doubling" with two Takines surprisingly not too much at all. Rather, it seemed concentrated, as if you were in the middle of a large herd. The additional kept a bit in the background, but still enriched the overall picture. In addition, you have the combination of crested deer and lesser panda. During my visit, the latter were unfortunately in a box at the back (3-4 animals close together, tussling a bit - observed by staff). But the small deer also enliven the enclosure - although you do have to look for them a bit first. In tune with the rather quiet impressions, there is the upgraded central area with lots of seating opportunities (stone benches, a large wooden wagon, wooden benches with and without canopies...). Perfect for an early, relaxed break on the ascent - at which you can easily forget about time, though.
    - The summit is really a highlight with the snow leopards clearly standing out for me. It seems a bit as if they have finally found their actual place after their time at Brehm House: They climb over the rocks and cliffs, stalk around and suddenly pop up with their head in front of or above you, stand up at the full-size glass window and lightly tap the glass, elegantly roam the rock and plant zones, rest on rock niches and observe the area from the height or drink from the small pond. They also appear quite suddenly at the small viewing window - or they even climb onto inner the half of the wooden shelter, so that you can watch them through the cracks in the wood - and vice versa. Especially when I was alone for a longer time and the big, elegant cats didn't stop moving playfully through the whole enclosure, it was like being in an intense dream without any sense of time and space. Even if it sounds mean, the hoofed animals were something of an accessory in this section of Himalaya. But they are also very attractive in their own right and enrich the overall impression enormously (especially since they are also climbing around on the slope, while you make your way up the hill). For me, the Manul complex on top is now more than ever like an ironic but good joke: When you have finally made the climb, arrived at the very top and are only starting to enjoy the wide view, you just about notice there is this small round and rather barren "aviary" - and with a bit of luck in the middle of it a small compact fur ball with an intense, not quite classifiable look. For me it's just prizeless. It always puts a smile on my face - and in a strange but certainly not bad way it makes me self-aware.
    -The extensive circular plateau path around the summit (you could already see it from above) is a long but rewarding road. Not only do you see the tall deer as close as never before (unfortunately through the bars, but this way they come very close as a large group - just as many of pairs of eyes already looked at me intensely from afar and then continued to follow me step by step as I came to the enclosure. Then I was completely overwhelmed, in a positive sense, by the kiangs in their wide, spacious enclosure. They too - always travelling in a large troop of around 10 animals - watched and approached me quite curiously, then briefly retreated, and then return coming even closer and in fact as close as possible. After a short moment, they retreated again and they are very small and far away. Then all of a sudden, they follow an unfathomable impulse - and they gallop across the grounds with powerful kicks. When you experience these impressions, you seriously ask yourself how the park ever got the idea to put (pardon) often somewhat boring moose onto these grounds. Yes, I did love the moose too - but now it feels like the whole complex has been revived living up to its full purpose and potential. Here, at the farthest, remotest tip of the huge Tierpark grounds, you come to realise again what this park actually is all about and what makes it so special and unique. Just like counterpart to the calm yet imposing bison at the main entrance, the kiangs demonstrate that ungulates can be extremely fascinating. As far away from the entrance as possible (and very much unwilling to head there any earlier than necessary if at all), I found myself checking the time and calculating when I'd have to go eventually, if I wanted to leave the park in time for 6:30 p.m. (and of course I overdid it slightly and had to use the revolving gate).
    - I did not mention the bird aviaries so far (and they put more birds up here than announced). There are some very attractive birds here, both in terms of colour and pattern, and some nice mixed species exhibits. I am particularly fond of the red-billed kittas. Such beautiful birds and also so lively and loud.

4) Few weak points that don't make much of a difference
    In fact, I have hardly anything to complain about and still almost feel shabby for it after this great experience. Except for the somewhat small and barren manul area (but the barrenness certainly fits in somewhere with the simulated vegetation zone), the strengths are actually also the weaknesses of the adventure zone. With the snow leopards as the highlight, it can get jammed there quite quickly. There is only one wide main view and a one one-person-only side view. This means you could be carried or "chased" away by the people - or you need the appropriate patience (or simply wait for a day with rather bad weather). My biggest criticism is actually more of a compliment: somehow the 60,000 square metres are still not enough for me. I would like to see so many more animals and facilities - especially looking at the vast empty space behind the Kiangs. Also, it is regrettable, at least for visitors who aren't strong walkers, that the railway apparently does not go up the hill, contrary to earlier plans (I heard the electric motor or the battery is too weak). Personally, I don't miss it up there at all. But with small or old legs it can be exhausting. Then again, I noticed some very fit pensioners with and without tracksuits and walking sticks, who obviously use this section as part of their fitness routine.

Overall conclusion:
    What can I say? You've probably already noticed anyway: I'm completely blown away. It was the best visit to the Tierpark I've had in a long time (and I enjoy virtually every visit there). After being quite impressed with previous projects such as Monkey House and Brehm House, it immediately became my new favourite area, at least for the time being. Thinking about future visits, I can really imagine that I may sometimes more or less leave the whole big park to itself and parrot the Tierpark's most recent PR in my head: The mountain is calling...

19. markmeier

Here you find some pictures to go with my descriptions: Himalaya Tierpark Berlin | Flickr (not my account)

Also, the park published a species list and some details that may be of interest.

1) species list (I'm not sure every name is translated correctly.)
    Bearded Vulture (NT)
    White-eared Pheasant (NT)
    Himalayan Glossy Pheasant
    Satyr Tragopan (NT)
    Omei Jay (VU)
    Silver-eared Sunbird
    Red-billed Kitta
    Father David's rock squirrel
    Francois langur (EN)
    Sichuan Takin (VU)
    Golden Takin (VU)
    Chinese Goral (VU)
    East China Crested Deer (NT)
    Marco Polo wild sheep (NT)
    Blue sheep
    Siberian Ibex (NT)
    Turkmen Markhor (NT)
    White-lipped deer (VU)
    Eastern kiang
    Snow Leopard (VU)
    Manul/ Pallas's Cat
    Western red panda (EN)

NT - near threatened
    VU - vulnerable
    EN - endangered
    CR -critically endangered

2) minor details
    - Area: 60,000 m³
    - Construction time: About one year
    - Costs:
    5.3 million euros Total costs
    4.85 million euros funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Finance
    150,000 euros for the Francois Langures from the Patrons of Berlin Tierpark and Zoo
    300,000 euros own contribution
    - 8,000 shrubs and trees
    - 7,500 grasses
    - 13,500 perennial plants
    - around 3,000 tonnes of natural stone (approx. 110 truckloads)

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very much glad to hear it!

Not a bad substitution at all - I've never seen that species of squirrel :)

markmeier likes this.