Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark Tierpark Berlin news 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by markmeier, 4 Jan 2022.

1. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking about the sun bears - when I went less than a week ago, there were definitely sun bears there - I can say for myself

2. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Minor developments 2 - births and hatchings:

There has been far too many of them to cover them all (and I'm also sure some have already been mentioned by me and others).

So I guess, I'll just show some of my personal highlights (like I said there are loads and loads more):

tbc

JurassicMax and ericnielsenkc like this.
  3. markmeier

There is also a small giraffe, red pandas...

JurassicMax likes this.
  4. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you very much @markmeier ! Works in the Savannah area are looking promising, I am longing to come back and see all those tasty new developments

markmeier and StoppableSan like this.
  5. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A pair of Bear Cuscuses arrived from Wroclaw ! Soon we will be able to see them at the Alfred Brehm House :)

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,
    I have some questions about Berlin Tierpark:
    Where are those on show: Arabian striped hyena, Bangs' black parrot, black-bellied sandgrouse, rusty-barred owl, southern white-faced scops owl, Taiwan liocichla, white-bearded masked cive?
    Is it possible to see Daurian pikas?

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. twilighter

Can help with the Mammals

Hyena - first exhibit of the mock rock row of exhibits opposite the Elephant house.

White-bearded Masked Palm Civet - first exhibit of the old cages right of the Alfred Brehm House, next to the Reindeers

The pikas are still off show

JurassicMax, Jurek7 and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As for the birds:
    * The black parrots are in an aviary right before you get to the pheasantry from the castle side (where you can see a green-winged macaw on the map - https://www.tierpark-berlin.de/file...rk-Plan/Flyer/TPB_Flyer_Fruehjahr_2022_EN.pdf).
    * The liochichlas are in the pheasantry proper, but I can't remember exactly where, so just snoop around and look for signs.
    * The scops owls and rusty-barred owls are in small, adjacent aviaries right as you enter the cul-de-sac with birds of prey (where you can see a bald eagle on the map).
    * I didn't see the black-bellied sandgrouse nor signage for it anywhere - however, I saw the species in Berlin Zoo next day. Might it have been transferred? Either way, if you have visits for both zoos planned, you can see it in the bird house there.

JurassicMax, Jurek7 and twilighter like this.
  9. markmeier

Just a very small update on the most recent update.

There actually are some good news: They installed a building sign near the giraffe exhibit which announces the start of construction for the giraffe trail:

[​IMG]
    Picture: W. Dreier/ Tierpark Berlin

This is some really good news for a number of reasons:
    - It confirms that they actually still construct the giraffe trail. In recent weeks and months, I haven't been so sure about this to be totally honest. They wrote something about rising costs for wood and quite difficult negotiations with potential contractors. So I am rather glad this part of the savanna complex still comes. I think this will be one of the biggest highlights. The savanna will be huge and an elevated platform will definitely come in handy.
    - The whole pricing and contracting issue actually also applies to the roof construction of the new elephant building and this has caused quite a bit of delay in recent months. So the new development with the giraffe trail could be a good sign in this context.

Actually, I very much hoped for something like this when I read that wood prices (just like steel) finally started to drop again.

10. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

On the 21st of July a male Shensi takin (Budorcas taxicolor bedfordi) was born in the Himalaya area, sadly the mother passed away after 2 weeks. Therefore, zoo keepers stepped in to bottle feed the young.

Recently multiple European hamsters (Cricetus cricetus) were born!

Sources:
    Instagram of Tierpark Berlin (14/08/2022)
    Instagram of Tierpark Berlin (24/08/2022)

SivatheriumGuy and Fallax like this.
  11. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are the hamsters on-show at the Tierpark? I'm still a newcomer to the Tierpark having visited for the first time earlier this year so I may well have missed them but I can't recall a smaller species exhibit for them.

12. JurassicMax

I persume they are kept behind the scenes but sadly I am not regular visitor there.

13. JurassicMax

Sad news from Berlin at the start of this month Sumatran tigers (Panthera tigris sumatrae) Oskar and Seri were euthanised, they health had deteriorated rapidly.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Berlin (01/09/2022)

14. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How many tigers is there now?

15. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

They now have two tigers left, a breeding pair of Sumatran tigers. They are male Jae Jae and female Mayang.

16. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

Two Sumatran tiger cubs born on 01/09/22 to Mayang and Jae Jae.

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

JurassicMax likes this.
  18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last year the Tierpark had their first-breeding with the Philippine scops-owls and they now have repeated the succes :).

19. markmeier

Some news:
    - Berlin Tierpark now has some red and white giant flying squirrels (Petaurista alborufus castaneus). The live in a former bird aviary in the Karl Förster Garden. Apparently, somebody even managed to see them - so it notes in Zootierliste. I'm actually quite impressed but I'm not sure, if their enclosure is that great for this species. In the wild, they live in great heights and glide for quite long distances.
    - The park officially announced that they are working on the giraffe trail and hope to finish it by Spring. It will be 120 metres long an 30 metres wide.
    - They also mentioned the new Asia enclosure but didn't give any further information or schedules.

20. twilighter

Bear Cuscus, Thomsan's Gazelle, Giant flying Squirrels! What a year for Berlin city :)