Join our zoo community

Tierpark Donnersberg Tierpark Donnersberg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Bib Fortuna, 10 Dec 2015.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

A new zoo in germany is opening its gates January 3, 2016. It is called Tierpark Donnersberg and is a private place.

The animal inventory is, of course, small at the beginning, and they do not have any hoofstock or big cats, but nevertheless, they do have some interesting and rare species, so Coendu,/ so much to Frankfurt Zoos statement, they have the only ones in germany),Tamandua, Karakal and three species of armadillo!

Hers is the species list, they have published on their webside, I have no idea if it is the full list:

Liste | Tierpark Donnersberg

They even keep Echidnas, I guess, they got them from the czech Animaldealer. They write there is only one more place in europe with them, but we all know this is not true.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are some really interesting species there for a brand new zoo! I was especially taken with the African brush-tailed porcupines, but then I looked on Zootierliste and they actually seem quite common over there.

3. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has any Zoochatter visited this place yet?
    Their website lists various unusual species - echidna, grison, pichi armadillo, several species of agouti, etc.
    It would be interesting to read an enthusiast's review of this collection!

4. Bib Fortuna

I've been to that place a couple of months ago-one of the worst places with animals I've ever been to, but i havn't expected too much. Altough it is called"Tierpark" is has nothing to do with a serious Zoo.

It is very small, 7000 m 2 and is build on a parking lot of the Pet Store nearby, what belongs to the same owner.

He has founded it many years ago as a"Rescue Center" for rare animals, but in truth, he is only a collector of rare animals and is not interested in conservation.

Indeed he has many rare species, because he is collector with passion, but the animal welfare is d desaste-.extreme poor ! That place is the first where I don't have taken any photos ! The exhibits are only wooden cages with one branch in it-thats it.No hiding palces, no pools,nothing. Racoons have no pool, no natural ground, plantes-nothing. All cages are too small, but since my visit, he has made some of them smaller to keep more species.

He as a tiny nocturnal house with tiny, too dry exhibts for tamanduas, echidnas together with Coendus and rat kangaroos, and many species are kept only indoors.

That place is defenitely not worth to visit, and the owner gets a lot of complaints from the visitors because of the poor animal welfare.

So I will not go again to that awul animal jail house-but he want to keep okapis in the future,-no joke-.and I'm sure, the guy gets every week new spectectular species-any of them not legal,I'm sure. I'm sure also, many Zoo-Enthuasiasts will love Tierpark Donnersberg because of its amazing"collection"-but I wonder why that guy got a permission to run a "Zoo". Hopeyfully, that place will be closed soon.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First-breeding for Tierpark Donnersberg, a Brushtail possum has left its mothers pouch :).

8. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know the circumstances of the African palm civit and whether they’re onshow currently?

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it is off-show, but the zoo staff might be willing to show the Civet.

The zoo is still pretty much the worst one in western Europe and a disgrace for the zoo world....

pangolin12 likes this.
  10. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the reply,
    Yeah I’ll probably regret visiting but some of the species they hold are amazing! I hope I can see the civits:)!

11. Bib Fortuna

@lintworm. Indeed it is without any question, but the collection is pretty nice-important thing, isn't it ?;)

12. zootografiando

zootografiando Member

Hello! I will spend a few days in Karlsruhe and I would like to visit Tierpark Donnensberg and Frankfurt. How can I go from Karlsruhe to Rockenhausen? Thank you

Mo Hassan likes this.
  13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a train connection (see www.bahn.de for timetables), but the connection is very bad in terms of waiting for connecting trains, it might be most efficient to rent a car if you do not want to wait. Frankfurt is easy from Karlsruhe with direct ICE trains (1 hour) or local trains (2 hours but much cheaper if booked late). In the area both Landau and Heidelberg are also well worth a visit (can be combined on 1 day with public transport easily) or Wilhelma Stuttgart (1 hour from Karlsruhe).

zootografiando likes this.
  14. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. JurassicMax

A kinkajou was born at the zoo, the mother is the eight year old Bella.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Donnersberg (10/03/2021) Login • Instagram

16. JurassicMax

At least 1 Common water-rat (Hydromys chrysogaster) has been born at the zoo.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Donnersberg (12/03/2021) Login • Instagram

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. JurassicMax

Turned out that two Common water-rats were born at the zoo.

twilighter likes this.
  18. JurassicMax

A Sumatran Common palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus musanga) was born at the zoo, the young is being hand-raised because the mother refused to care for the little one.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Donnersberg (19/03/2021) Login • Instagram

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. JurassicMax

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. JurassicMax

On the 16th of April female White-fronted lemur (Eulemur albifrons) Bijanka gave birth to her first young, it's a male! This is also the first time that this species has bred in Tierpark Donnersberg.

Source:
    Instagram of Tierpark Donnersberg (19/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CQThZ77gDT7/