Join our zoo community

TIGER SHARKS VERA CRUZ AQUARIUM

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by James w, 3 Aug 2019.

1. James w

James w Active Member 5+ year member

Hi all,
    Im a former zoo keeper, which has led to wildlife rescue/rehab, and now native conservation in the UK.
    I love this page. In my career I have been lucky enough to visit and get extra behind the scenes at many collections in Europe. And with the study involved I have had access to lots of resources.I really appreciate the species lists on here, I catalogue collections!.
    So, greetings from U.K. aside, here is the reason for my post. I have an interest in the husbandry of tiger sharks (Galeocerdo cuvier), and I have followed the attempts to exhibit them in various collections. But I am yet to photograph them in the flesh!.
    I have looked at north Australia diving trips, as it is cheaper than some like the Bahamas. But im looking at collections with a history with them like osaka and vera cruz aquarium too.
    I have tried to contact the Vera cruz aquarium rerecently, but no response.
    Has anyone on this forum visited vera cruz aquarium in the last few months?. Did they have tiger sharks on display, and if yes how large/old were they?
    Any help great guys, thanks from uk!
    James

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No idea about Mexico, but Sea World on the Gold Coast in Australia had one, and for all I know may still.

3. James w

Hey, thanks for getting back. Seaworld did have a great display, but no tigers there for a while. Osaka has them with bull sharks, but exhibit not great. Bit crap and would put me off

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Difficult to judge size, but you will find photos from the public posted on TripAdvisor showing a tiger shark from visits as recently as July 2019.

I believe you're thinking of Okinawa Churaumi aquarium in Japan - I've yet to visit either collection but I'm not sure that the Okinawa tank would be worse than the Veracruz display.

I saw mine in Japan, at Yokohama's Hakkeijima aquarium in 2016. :)
    There's a list of former holdings at elasmollet.org, if you haven't already seen it.

5. James w

Yes dont know where the osaka came from!. Being an experienced keeper you pick up things
    1. The Okinawa aquarium display was v dark and not well highlighted
    2. The sharks had various sores and health didnt appear great. One of the challenges with them is preventing the scraping from the sides of the tank. Vera cruz addressed it in the past.
    3.same aquarium that killed a great white in about a week.
    I know of the list you refer to, but not sure how often it is updated. Ill check out the trip advisor pics. The wild option would be best but 1000 roundabout for flights, 300 for dive..but very exciting experience..ill loom at the one you saw..thanks mate for replying.