Join our zoo community

Tiger Subspecies in North America

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by RatioTile, 20 Jun 2020.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I have seen Siberian, Sumatran, and Malayan tigers at US zoos, and according to Zootierliste, those are also the only three subspecies kept in Europe.

I doubt that there are any South China tigers currently outside of China, but they seem to be common in Chinese zoos.

However, what about Bengal and Indochinese tigers? Are there any certified pure Bengal tigers in the US, or just Tiger King-type hybrid tigers? As for Indochinese tigers, I know that historically they were confused with Malayan tigers, so many were/are mislabeled, but are there any confirmed in the US?

Also, are unlabeled tigers in Thailand and Vietnam in zoos and (unfortunately) roadside attractions pure Indochinese tigers or hybrids?

2. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This thread might be helpful. Short answer is no. The U.S. only has Amur, Malayan, and Sumatran and I believe the same goes for Canada.

Subspecific Tigers in US Zoos

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Mexico has / had these subspecies :

Sumatran tiger -One tailless individual was / is kept at Chapultepec.

Siberian tiger- From what I remember seeing only a pair kept at El Nido aviary but possibly these have bred over the years and there may well be more.

Bengal tiger (almost certainly very hybridized though) - Chapultepec, Morelia, Zacango, Guadalajara and several other zoos.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2020
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Outside of Asia, any "Bengal" Tiger will be barley any Bengal at all, they are all hybrids with who-knows-what parentage. Hence why so many ZooChatters call them "Generic Tigers".

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes , "Generic tigers" , pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

A question about white "Bengal" tigers: how purely Bengal might they be? They are generally maligned due to their inbreeding to get the white color - but was not that inbreeding primarily with actual "Bengal" tigers? I know there are also supposed white "Amur" tigers, ZooTampa/Lowry Park had them for a bit.

7. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo 'bengals' are mostly descended from true Bengal and Amur; they usually have more of the former's phenotype. Other subspecies contributions, especially nowadays, would be a very low percentage.

While white tigers originated with a wild Indian Bengal tiger his descendants were mixed with lots of zoo-mix tigers and they all have Amur genes now.

Wisp O' Mist and SwampDonkey like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Interesting, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the information.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.