Join our zoo community

Tiger Subspecies

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by patrick, 12 Mar 2006.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

tiger subspecies..

did you read about the new tiger subspecies? genetic testing has proven that the indochinese tiger is actually split into two seperate races, the malay penninsular population representing a distinct subspecies, the malayan tiger.

bit of debate going on as to its new scientific name, but it is in one respect a setback for conservation as a once endangered subspecies is now split into two even more endangered subspecies!

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i did here that and it turns out san diegos population and new cubs are this new subspecies, go to the site and read on the new sun-species

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yea, i did hear this also Pat, I saw the photo on the net of those ( maybe) Cape lions, after serching zoos across the world this south African bloke was almost going to give up untill someone told him about these huge black maned lions in Siberian zoo, this bloke traveled to zoos every were looking but never find what he was looking for, after visiting this zoo in Russia he could not believe his eyes, he took back to south Africa two cubs, even they had the black ear tips which are part of that sub species.

4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's still no official acceptance that the Malayan Tiger is a seperate subspecies, although the scientific name panthera tigris jacksonni has been suggested.

Singapore's population are pure Malayans as well. Some of San Diego's tigers originated from Singapore too.

Estimated wild population stands at less than 600.