Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Tiger Walk

Discussion in 'Australia' started by driftaguy, 28 Sep 2009.

1. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For the tiger walk, is it with (I'm guessing that it is with one tiger only) a Sumatran or Bengal tiger?

2. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Tiger walks

I believe they may use either depending on the day. It is though one cat per walk session.

3. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would you recommend Australia Zoo or Dreamworld for a tiger walk?

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dreamworld ;)

5. paulo

paulo New Member

Went to dreamworld and went for a tiger walk with girl friend went with sita and the 1 year old naughty boy (cant remember his name) was the best experience in july.:)

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For those of us outside Australia, can you explain exactly what the tiger walk is?

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I assume it's this: Tiger Island - Take a Walk With a Tiger - Dreamworld Theme Park - Gold Coast - Australia

For those that can't afford the $695 for 4 people, when I visited in 2009, they walked a juvenile tiger through the crowd before the start of the tiger show, and everyone got to pat him - for free. Maybe they still do that?
    I'll see if I can find a pic.

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The same thing happened when we were there. They had twins, a boy and a girl, and they were brought for walks around the park in the afternoon. The boy was really eager but the girl was lazy and had a special trolley that she would ride around in.

9. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Pic with tiger being walked through Dreamworld. As he passed us, we were allowed to touch him on his rump.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 20 Sep 2011
  10. Wildbengaltiger

Wildbengaltiger New Member

Australian zoo

I like to know will they be next Tiger about the house with new Tiger cub at Australian zoo

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

you've posted this in three different places. What does it mean?

12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not 100% sure what Wildbengaltiger means, but I think they're asking: Following the recent birth of the tiger cubs at Australia Zoo, will there be a second series of 'Tiger about the house'?

I don't know for sure, maybe contact Australia Zoo yourself Wildbengaltiger, however in my opinion, I doubt if there will be as there isn't really enough material without being repetitive. The situation is basically the same: twin tigers are born, they're bottle fed every few hours, their eyes open, they meet a friendly dog, they outgrow the confines of a domestic household, they go back to the zoo. Last time this was padded out to several episodes by filming the tiger enclousure at the zoo, talking about their conservation work and giving a blow by blow account of the operation on Hunter (who developed an eye condition). I really don't think they could do a second series out of this.

Dreamworld did a series about their quadruplets born in 1998, which although followed a similar format to Australia Zoo's series, had enough points of difference (quaruplets versus twins, bengal versus sumatran, not to mention a different zoo) which made the two programmes equally valid as independent shows.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

oh, I have never heard of that show, but with that information I now understand their question.

14. elephantsmind

elephantsmind New Member

I doubt this will happen as rumours circulate of Giles Clark (Tiger Supervisor) leaving to return to the UK, BBC & London Zoo being thrown around as the potential new employer... more to come I'm sure!