Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Tigers to return to the circus

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Certainly bizarre, I can't think why they've done it?

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My guess is that they don't want a bad reputation with all the negative publicity that's surrounded these tigers. Be intersetng to see if they source replacements for them.

4. jb.lancashire

jb.lancashire Active Member

Tanvir the tiger

I thought that one of the tigers ( Tanvir ) came from Germany not the "private collection in the north east" I thought I read somewhere that he carried the white gene and was much paler in colour. Does anybody know if I am right on this point and if so why is he going back to Martin Lacy?

5. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Great British Circus didnt like the bad attention they were getting at Noahs Ark and pulled them out of the deal?
    They will be far less easily seen or spotted with the Circus then they will at Noahs Ark.
    As far as sourcing individual's go, I really cant see any good-minded collections in the Uk wanting to send their Tigers to Noahs Ark. This leaves them with an empty Tiger Complex costing alot of money - Serves them right really, Was all brought on by themselves in my opinion.

6. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Shut the place down!!

7. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I would say they will replace their tigers, they drove their visitor numbers up quite a bit and after building that complex they will want their moneys worth. They may get some old cats from a zoo in the UK to free up space for pure tigers or perhaps they will register their premises as quarantine and import some from mainland Europe? I feel sorry for the poor tigers having all that space just to back in to beast wagons again. Is it true Lacey imported a white tiger recently?

8. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Wouldnt the Council have to be involved with shutting it down?
    Its going to take alot to take a big zoo like that attracting alot of visitors to the area to close it down unfortunately.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Sounds like Noah`s realise they have made a mistake and are doing whatever it takes to try to get its BIAZA membership back.As for getting Tigers from another U.K collection cannot see many wanting to send them there after this,but you never know they may find some for sell some where!!

Last edited: 3 Dec 2009
  10. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Maybe the circus just wanted them back! They were supposedly on loan to breed tigers for the circus (? not sure it was confirmed??) I expect the circus was not happy with even more negative publicity!

Maybe the tigers are just gonna be kept elsewhere to breed for their awful circus act!!

Wonder what they will do with the cages! Hope there is no more lions needing rescue :rolleyes:

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm starting to think this must be the case as I really can't see what NAZF gain from this.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A tiger which is paler in colour is likely to have Siberian blood. Normal orange tigers carrying the white gene are not normally any paler than usual, apart from the golden 'tabby' which is another colour mutation associated with the white gene.

13. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Like it or not provided that NAZF can comply and meet the standards of the Zoo Licensing Act they will remain open; membership of BIAZA is not a requirement to opening and running an animal collection in the UK.

Councils can not make judgements on “moral grounds” as regards these matters as they have to be seen to be fair and objective. If they don’t then an aggrieved party can go a higher authority and the council could find itself in serious trouble. And in this case I don’t mean God – sorry could resist that ;)

If NAZF wanted more big cats to display they certainly could obtain them. In fact, not being a member of BIAZA has basically given them a green light to do what they like provided they do not break any national or international laws.

In fact, this is why BIAZA members are discouraged from using circuses and animal dealers to supply animals unless it is very clear where the animals in question were obtained.

I think the reason NAZF was expelled is that BIAZA felt it was deceived. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if NAZF had been completely open and honest in the matter with BIAZA and others. I think BIAZA may well be thankful this didn’t happen because it would have put them in a very difficult position.

It is also possible that the circus wanted the animals back as they were on breeding loan.

Actually obtaining animals from a circus was not really the issue I think it was using NAZF as a breeding facility that may have supplied animals back into the circus that appears to be the problem for many people. Although, of course, nothing illegal in this. The whole issue of wild animals in circuses in the UK is in stasis anyway and it remains legal and this is a question of subjective morality.

In the days when wild animal circuses were common circuses like Billy Smarts and Chipperfields etal used to have winter quarters where they could breed animals anyway. In Europe this remains the case and I am aware of a number of circuses breeding thier own animals including big cats and, believe it or not, sea lions.

And, of course, these two circuses families mentioned above were involved in safari parks where animals bred there would also sometimes be used to supply circuses. This was never a secret BTW.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  14. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

From the Bristol Evening Post today 4/12/09

Mr Bush has decided to return the tigers before the zoo opens again for bussines on february 5th.

He said the attraction would continue as a DEFRA independant licenced zoo

No decision has been made about what will happen to the enclosure but it is likely it will be used to house other animals

15. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

18. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Its too late for them to just forget that it never happened.
    2 Tigers have died because of this - One thing that makes me laugh that i read somewhere it was something like 'We aim to respect our animals' so why on earth did you skin and decapitate her then!
    Thats not respect and is that something a true creationist would do? Destroying one of Gods Beautiful Creatures and cutting its head off?
    The whole park is a waste of space and this is probably the first time I said this about anything - I cant wait till CAPS close it down.

19. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, I've got my Devil's Advocate hat on:

1. Has it been proven this has killed 2 Tigers? (Genuinely I can't remember);
    2. Respecting animals and skinning and decapitating them (when dead) is not necessarily contradictory;
    3. From a theological perspective, once an animal's dead it's soul has gone so you're only destroying the vessel, not the essence of it's beauty.
    4. Re CAPS, success brings publicity, brings members/donations, brings hassle for all zoos. Be careful what you wish for.

For the record, I'm between ambivalent and mild distaste for the place, but your arguments need to be stronger.

20. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

As I understand it, the mother of the cubs died, one of the cubs was stillborn and the other died while being handreared. Which gives either 2 or 3 tigers that died depending on how you view the stillborn.

How much of this was NAZF's fault is debatable, but I'm sure their inexperience didn't help. In particular, leaving the mother on full public view the whole time was a mistake as far as I can see.

I fully agree with your points 2, 3 and 4.