Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Timor Sparrows

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 25 Jun 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chester's holding for Timor Sparrow is now 10. It looks as of they've bred.

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I was just about to post the same thing, as I've just seen it on ISIS.

Great news, as I don't think many other zoos have much success with this species.

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Now 11!! Getting bigger the flock, isn't it!

4. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

this is great news!!!

5. trevor350

trevor350 New Member

hi,just been reading what you guys are posting about timor java sparrows,i breed these birds with great success bout 20 years ago,the birds I bought were very scatie,they would lay eggs but never sit on them,i also breed all the colours of java and gouldians,my first success with the timor was by placing their eggs under normal javas who are brill parents,had fantastic results with gouldians as well,mine were free to go into outside flights all year round,only heat they had was when they could return to the inside where a heater was on,but only on frost stat,its no good people saying they cant go out side because at the end of the day they are breed in our climate,when the birds had young,they would even come out into the safe shelter and take meal worms from my hand

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

During the 1980-ties, good numbers of this species were imported into continental Europe. I took care for a small colony at Walsrode and althrough we had eggs several times, no succesfull breeding was archieved during the time I was there ( 1986 - 1989 ) :(.
    In the Netherlands a few ( 2 males ? ) should live in Burger's Bush and althrough I've seen pictures of these birds made by others, I never have seen them there.
    Would be intresting to know if zoos in America or Asia are keeping this species and also it would be intresting to know if there are still animals in privat collections.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Java sparrow is kept outside at Chester zoo, perhaps Timor sparrow will be in the future.