Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Top of hill enclosure question.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Davef68, 2 Apr 2012.

1. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

A question for old timers - what was in the 'rough ground' area between the Anteater and Playground/Maned Wolf enclosures at the top of the hill - I'd never noticed it before, but there is a gate and the remains of a wall/fence along with a concrete floor up there.

Google Maps

Asked this in the 'happenings' thread, but got a bit lost in the Pandas.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was told that nothing would be going in here due to the fact that there is a badger sett in this area, but as for the past, i have been visiting for 20 years now and have not seen anything on this site.
    After checking a few guidebooks, from around 20-30 years ago, the only species held in this paddock have been highland cattle.

3. leiclad20

leiclad20 Well-Known Member

Its such a shame that so many animals like big cats live in small cages at edinburgh when there is so much disused land at the top of the park.

Is there any reason why the guanco and rhea couldnt be moved into the large anteater enclosure, so that theirs can be redeveloped? What is the long term plan for the fields at the top of the hill anyway?

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are no guanaco at the zoo, just a pair of vicuna in the former addax paddock, plans have been in place for many years to relocate the Indian rhino to a purpose built enclosure up there, but like so many plans, they can change.

5. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

One of the other problems with developing anything at the top of the zoo is that anything new has to include easier access for disabled into the plans.