Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

They left for Parc Safari in February. Ember too.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Huh, I just realize I haven't been to the Domain in quite some time, leading to why I never noticed that.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The lynx kittens and Ember were indeed sent to Parc Safari at the same time as the lion boys.

Malayan Tapir, Tanuck, went to Parc Safari in 2015 or early 2016. The zoo needed to make space for rhino calf Nandu and he was the easiest to move. From videos I have seen it looks like a very nice lush exhibit he now gets to inhabit.

I do not know where babirusa, Muna, went. I do not believe there was or is any plans to phase the babirusa out. Muna was born in 2012 and is more than old enough to have moved on and started breeding. I think the zoos lack of accreditation hindered her departure. If the former plans came true then she went to Micanopy Zoological Preserve in Florida but that was three years ago. A huge part of me will not be shocked to hear Parc Safari. Seems to be where Toronto sends all its surplus these days unless its Safari Niagara at a less frequent rate. Bucky and Olive were to stay on and breed as of the last plans.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. TZFan

Behind the scenes the black footed ferret program has produced six kits thus far, while the eastern loggerhead shrikes have produced 54 chicks and eggs waiting to hatch with more to likely come. Big successes for the breeding programs.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. TZFan

Three Vancouver Island Marmots have been born to parents River and Odan. And good news for next year a fifth breeding pair has been set up. Currently this young pair is immature but next year should be ready to breed. All of this years young have been slated for release next spring.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. kknudsen

kknudsen Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was at the zoo today and learned that two of the cheetah babies required hernia surgery recently and that none of the babies are expected to be on exhibit until they are five months old.

7. TZFan

What a pity that we will have to wait until sometime in September or eve October to see the cheetah cubs. It is unlikely they will be out once the snow hits so we will barely get to see them. Guess we are down to our only real hope of seeing cubs this summer is the snow leopards. This summer was shaping up to be a good one for the zoo but timing and caution seems to have wasted the opportunity.

8. TZFan

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Sadly one of the snow leopard cubs has passed. According to a post on the zoo's facebook:

"On the morning of Thursday, June 15, 2017, Toronto Zoo staff observed one of the snow leopard cubs in an area of the den, away from its mother and the other cubs. After monitoring the cubs via camera, it was determined that this cub had passed away. When staff were able to access the den, the cub was removed and taken to the Wildlife Health Centre where a preliminary post-mortem was conducted by one of the Zoo’s veterinarians and it was concluded that the cub had passed away as a result of pneumonia.

Upon further investigation by the veterinary team, it was determined that the cubs were exposed to Bordetella bronchiseptica which dad Kota is a carrier of. The veterinary team was able to provide medical treatment to the remaining cubs as they too were beginning to show signs of Bordetella infection including persistent coughing similar to whooping cough.

Subsequent to treatment, they are both doing well and recovering nicely. The cubs, a male and female, started on solid foods eating mostly ground meat and trying some of mom’s meals which include quail, bone and rabbit. Ena, the mom is beginning to wean them. The little female weighs 4.34 kg, and the male weighs 3.53 kg. She is much bigger than her brother and extremely playful, checking out everything in the den. He is quieter and prefers to cuddle with mom. Both love to wrestle with each other and climb all over the hay bales and Ena. They are also interacting with keepers more and very curious about everything.

The mom and cubs will remain off exhibit for the next several weeks as they continue to bond and get through the most delicate stages of their early development."

10. cypher

Sucks to hear that, but at least they found out about it before losing the entire litter. Also kinda sucks that I'll be several more weeks before seeing them on exhibit.

11. TZFan

It is a significant loss for snow leopards to loose one of Ena's cubs since she is unrepresented in North America. However she is young and more litters will follow. She will likely have three or four litters. However given Kota's age it is likely that this will be her one and only litter with him.

I do agree it is a pity they will not go on display for more weeks. All of the litters this year clearly arrived to late to go on display for summer. Guess if we want to see cubs early in the spring they need to be born in February or March. Toronto seems to be more cautious with its cubs than US zoos. Although I admit all three litters have had set backs. The clouded leopards were hand reared... not a set back but will delay them being on display. Two of the cheetah cubs needed hernia surgery which probably has stopped them from going on display until fully recovered. And the snow leopards which probably could have gone on display first have been sick.

12. cypher

I know there is still quite a bit of time before this happens, but is there any word on the Siberian Tiger front, as in how many the zoo plans on getting and approx what date they're looking to have them on display?

If I remember correctly the Pandas are due to leave March 2018

13. TZFan

As far as I know no tigers have been selected for the zoo as of September 2016... really too early to select who would be arriving probably over the winter of 2018. So many cubs could be born and deaths occur between now and then how do you make a recommendation on a breeding pair? A decision about who will come will probably be made shortly. The animals coming will need to be crate trained, paper work will need to be done especially in terms of a cross border arrival, transportation arranged. But timing will also depend on what modifications might need to be made to the exhibits to house tigers. I know it was always designed with Amurs returning in mind but it was designed over 5 years ago there may be some modifications and tweaks needed to meet any new design specifications required by the AZA. I would assume the zoo will have the Amurs back and on display for the Victoria Day weekend in 2018 but I also assumed the zoo would have the orang outdoor ready for then and we all know that isn't happening.

On the departure front, I think the pandas are to leave then too. Foolish choice. Er Shun and Da Mao should leave in early January. It would give them time to settle before breeding season in March. Calgary would have a realistic shot at 2018 cubs. If they stay here until then it will be a wasted breeding season which is sad because Toronto wasted enough breeding seasons. First they arrived too late for the 2013 breeding season. 2014 was a bust too in part due to Da Mao's immaturity and failed AI. Obviously 2015 was a success which meant 2016 and 2017 would be useless as well since Er Shun was rearing cubs. Losing 2018 and a year of reproductive value from Er Shun is silly just so we can keep them in Toronto a little longer. Er Shun is 10 next month. I believe the oldest female to reproduce was 20. That means she could rear maybe four more cubs (unless twins are a thing with her). Each year wasted means one less cub she might produce. In a notoriously difficult species to breed that doesn't seem wise. If the zoo wants to keep the pandas until March send Er Shun and Da Mao ahead for breeding in Calgary and keep the cubs. They could easily stay on another three months if necessary.

14. TZFan

The cheetah cubs are now allowed outside... sadly still not on exhibit. However its two girls and three boys for Laini and Patonga. Two of the boys required the hernia surgeries. All are weaned and doing well. Sadly they say it will still be months before we get to see them on exhibit.

Toronto Zoo shows off 3-month-old cheetah cubs - CityNews

I love the article that mentions the births of the lions (who are gone), polar bear (who is gone), and a rhino and zebra who are almost as big as their parents.

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

I noticed, while riding the Zoomobile, that the Gaur are out in their exhibit again & the trailer is gone. Has anyone heard anything "official" about their status?

17. TZFan

I haven't heard anything official but its extremely unlikely they are going anywhere until fall at the earliest. Since there is no push on to get the demo done this year so I wouldn't be surprised if it was spring before they go.

18. TZFan

The baby bonaza at the end of this year and through early next year is very likely getting another large addition. Keepers are almost positive pygmy hippo, Kindia, is expecting her first with Harvey. I haven't heard a specific due date but based on breeding it is likely sometime between December and maybe February. So now we are waiting on the first white rhino calf since 1990 (I think hope has died that Sabi is pregnant too), the second Indian rhino calf in two years, and its first pygmy hippo calf since 1999.

19. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Excited for a new baby White Rhino; I remember as a little girl estatic tht they had one. I don't go to the zoo nearly enough anymore (due to $$$ issues etc) but when I make my yearly or so visit (sometimes twice yearly) I love playing catch up over the year!

20. TZFan

They pygmy hippo calf is actually further along that I suspected. Rumor has it October or November is the birth window.

Lots of crowd pleasing breeding going on across the zoo.

Giraffes, Kiko and Mstari, are apparently reaching maturity. They have been breeding which could mean the earliest possible arrival of a calf is October 2018. They are both still young but with Mstari turning 4 this fall she is officially old enough to breed as per the ssp. Only question is is she large enough as well to carry and deliver a calf? I'm guessing if they are allowing them to mate she has reached the required size.

Zebras, Tori and Jake, are breeding again which means possibly a late 2018 foal.

Gorillas, Charles and Ngozi, have been breeding and Ngozi is trying to wean Nneka. Now this one I don't get. The SSP specifically said no breeding this year. Send the boys to Granby but no breeding. I'd be surprised if they changed their position in 8 months with another ssp due out in January. Who knows maybe she is still on birth control. If not the baby could be due as early as late March.

Deaths...

Capybara, Lucy, was put down last month.

Prezwalski's horse, Kitana, was put down at the beginning of August. She was old.