Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Spider monkey, Toque, has finally been given a chance at family life. He has moved on to Auckland. Since he and Mittens couldn't get along and Mittens needs the support and companionship of his sisters Eve and Poppy poor Toque has lived alone for quite awhile. He was supposed to leave years ago for other zoos but nothing ever happened. Glad to hear he will finally get to enjoy family life again.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. TZFan

The Home's Hingeback Tortoises are back. They did leave and have now returned. Short departure.

One of the Egyptian Geese who lived with the Ibises died. His companion whos name I dont know was joined by Annoying one of a former pair that lived off exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been checking back at this thread to see when the Gaur would be shipped and I am so glad that I took all those photos and footage back in June to document their now "extinct exhibit" for the Toronto Zoo history record. My only wish regarding my visit is that I wish that Hercules was still alive. I have yet to see a huge bull Gaur at close range. By the way, what were the names of the two females that were there in July? I ought to make a Christmas video or two of my zoo visit as well as a proper Gaur tribute. Thanks for the update TZFan and best of luck to them at Parc Safari!

4. TZFan

The female gaur were Flower and daughter Wilma. You were a year too late to see Forrest who was Flower's grown son.

5. TZFan

Sad new to report. The pygmy hippo calf, a male, was born earlier this month but he did not survive the first 24 hours. No word on the cause of death. Hopefully after a couple months of recovery Kindia and Harvey can try again and maybe be more successful. Hopefully our other first time mom white rhino, Zohari, will be more successful with her own calf in the next month or two.

In happier news we have a new female lynx so maybe the pitter patter of kitten paws will be possible this spring if her arrival was in time to settle in and be ready for breeding season.

6. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of them was a bit skittish and was easily spooked if you walked into the pavilion unexpectedly. Was it Flower or Wilma? Thanks!

7. TZFan

Likely Wilma but I can't say I knew them all that well.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  8. TZFan

White rhino Zohari has been separated from her sister Sabi and male Tom as her delivery appears imminent. Fingers crossed this baby makes it. I want a good 2018 for babies.

On the breeding front zebras Jake and Tori have been spending a lot of time breeding lately. A late winter foal could arrive in 2019.

Follow that breeding news up with some interesting breeding news West African dwarf crocs Monty and Cleo have been displaying breeding behaviour. Now will they incubate any eggs Cleo might lay? That's the real question since that species of croc doesn't have any conservation value and the AZA would prefer those spaces be converted for actually endangered crocs.

A new male Arctic wolf has arrived from Parc Safari his name is Imiq. Great timing he is there and can settle in before breeding season. Wolf pups may finally arrive! Well provided Chinook was the reason there was never wolf pups before... could be Dora and Vera.

In fantastic news the Arctic fox exhibit will finally house animals we want to see and not just boring snow geese. Making their triumphant return are Arctic foxes themselves! Two males Orage and Tempette have arrived from the zoo's favorite Canadian trading partner lately Parc Safari.

Lastly Przewalski's horse, Madga, was put down due to age related health issues.

m30t likes this.
  9. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Wow Monty still has game eh? If I recall he is the oldest of his species ever known. There isn't really a replaceable crocodilian that is both from Africa and endangered that they can choose if the AZA wants them to replace the species.

10. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Wait scratch that I had know idea the slender snouted crocodile is listed as critically endangered by IUCN. Apparently the status of the species was practically unknown until a mere 6 years ago. Now that is a species I'd like to see at Toronto

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To be honest I would play that down a bit, if I where you.

Whereas the IUCN Red List currently categorizes Osteolaemus tetraspis as only VULNERABLE, their data are awaiting update as the original info goes back more than 20 years to 1996. Given the rate of deforestation in western and central Africa and the overexploitation of bushmeat and rainforest wildlife I do expect the categorization to change significantly.

In a further and more recent development - the split of Osteolaemus tetraspis into 3 species further complicates matters and potentially leads to more splintering of the 3 subpopulations into a higher threat category for each subgroup.

I is therefore all the more important that captive populations are correctly assigned to species and subspecies-level in crocodilians and to attempt to significantly improve captive-breeding efforts for the crocodilian species deserving of conservation attention. And I do believe all current African crocodilian species qualify for captive-breeding / conservation attention programs.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This begs the question too: what species of Osteolaemus are the Toronto specimens?

13. TZFan

The zoo says Monty and Cleo are West African dwarf crocs, beyond that I know nothing.

If the zoo were looking to replace them the AZA would specifically prefer the slender snouted croc but it's not forbidden to have them. The zoo could just choose to replace them with more of the same species. The size of the exhibit would likely stop them from going to any other species. Personally I'd be happy to see the crocs go when the time comes and be replaced with the otters who could use more room to romp.

By the way just because they are just displaying breeding behaviour doesn't mean they will breed and be successful. It's been quite awhile since they had a clutch of eggs hatch at the zoo. Although to be fair I don't know if that is because no fertilized eggs have been laid or if the zoo made sure none would hatch. Only thing for certain is in the next short while you may see Cleo and Monty do something more then sleep and float.

14. TZFan

Our incoming Aldabra tortoises are a male named Rasputin, and two females named Queenie and Malila. Seems plans for their exhibit have been altered and they will take up residence with the lemurs.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went to the zoo today and Australasia has two new bird species, at least three Scarlet Chested Parrot/Parakeets which I was informed have been there several weeks and a pair of Crimson Rosellas which were introduced this week.
    There all in the free flight area.
    I was wondering if anyone knows where they came from?

16. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

17. TZFan

18. TZFan

Just thought I'd recap the years comings and goings which I have been tracking all year... unless I forgot something.

Births
    1 ground hornbill
    4 penguins - Poppy, Sunny, Jagu and Glen
    5 cheetahs - Chester, Flash, Dougie, Queenie and Imara
    3 snow leopards - Kita and Mylo
    2 clouded leopards - Charlotte and Levy
    3 tur
    3 vancouver island marmots
    6 black footed ferrets
    54 eastern loggerhead shrikes
    2 Home's Hingeback Tortoise
    2 ravens
    5 Crested Wood Partridges
    1 Pygmy Hippo
    1 Pheasant Pigeon
    12 lemur leaf frogs
    1 burmese star tortoise
    1 superb glossy starling
    3 wood bison
    1 Common Piping Guan
    10 axolotl
    2 red tailed ratsnakes
    3 nicobar pigeon
    1 piping guan
    3 peacocks
    7 massasauga rattlesnakes
    1 white rhino

Deaths
    Hippo - Samson
    Capybara - Lucy
    Llama - Kelly
    Wolf - Chinook
    2 Przewalski’s horse - Kitana and Madga
    Von der Deckens hornbill - Heinz Klaus
    2 Snow Leopards - Kota and a cub
    1 Tur calf
    1 Egyptian Goose
    1 Pygmy Hippo calf
    1 Splendid Parrot

Notable Departures
    Polar bear juno - Assiniboine
    Lynx Ember and kittens - Parc safari
    Lions Harrison, Hank, Oliver and Gus - Parc Safari
    Gaur - Flower and Wilma - Parc Safari
    Southern Ground Hornbill - Arya, Sansa, and Olenna - Hattieburg
    Babirusa - Muna
    Home's Hingeback Tortoise - Autumn (F), Dill (?), Pickle (?), Olive (?), 2 unnamed hatchlings.
    Red Panda - Cassie
    Spider Monkey - Toque - Auckland
    Sable Antelope- Puff Daddy and Savanna - Parc Safari

Notable arrivals
    Otter - RJ
    Saki - Tia
    Cheetah - Laini
    Wattled Crane - Cedric
    Camel - Zip
    Lynx - female
    Red Panda - Malina
    Snowy owl
    Arctic Wolf - Imiq
    Arctic Fox - Orage and Tempette
    Aldabra Tortoise - Rasputin, Queenie, Malila
    4 Splendid Parrots
    3 cattle egrets
    Palawan peacock pheasant
    2 Crimson Rosella
    Home's Hingeback Tortoises all returned.