Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Surprised - I know exactly what she said but maybe she misspoke or doesn't know he hasn't moved yet.

Also heard third hand that the zoo is aiming at Canada Day weekend to re-open the tiger exhibit. I hope not, and if it is true there had better be a member advance view because there will be hordes of people at Canada Day.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd be a little surprised if the panda keepers accompanying the pandas do not at least then returned with Amur tiger, Kira. It would be the most cost effective thing for them to do. A couple of keepers would be going with the pandas to help with their transition. While there they can get to know Kira as they slowly stop interacting with the pandas as the Calgary keepers assume full control. The keepers can then come back with her and she can begin her 30 day quarantine. They can keep her in the quarantine area until exhibit modifications are complete... which I doubt are much since it was designed for tigers to begin with. Once at least the indoor holding is ready they can transfer her there and bring Vasili in from Winnipeg if that's where he is. And when he is ready bring him over and let them both explore and get used to their yards prior to opening.

I think the biggest modifications will really be how you get into the exhibit and removing the gates at the end of the panda space. It would be nice if something else was put in there. Maybe a small Asian bird aviary. Just something else to look at.

Has anyone heard what they are looking to put in the panda education center?

Canada’s giant pandas: Looking back 5 years at the Toronto Zoo

InfoSponge likes this.
  3. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

In the short-term, there will be special events like movie nights.

4. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Panda education center is a Sprung Structure's building, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they take it down eventually. They're not entirely well designed for any sort of actual animal holding long term unless they're in small, self contained enclosures, and really outside of a special events space I don't see much use for it.

5. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Given it once held temporary exhibits before it became the panda education center such as Stingray Bay, I wouldn't be surprised if it became one again like Hyak_II said. I myself would consider replacing it with a permanent exhibit, like an aviary for birds or herptofauna.

6. InfoSponge

InfoSponge Member

1) I had heard an idea for the Panda Education Centre that I loved, so obviously it will never happen: turn it into an Indigenous Peoples' Centre as eventually the "Canada Wilds" will be right next to Eurasia. I cannot possibly emphasize strongly enough how distasteful I find holding it for "Movie Nights". Maybe that's just me. :)

2) I won't get into details, but something I saw online about a year ago gave me the tiniest of hopes that perhaps Pallas's cats have been considered. That.... would be amazing.

Kifaru Bwana and Yi Qi like this.
  7. TZFan

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoos female Jamaican boa named Mary is gravid. Baby boas incoming!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Botles

Botles Member

Did the zoo get rid of giant snails in americas pavilion? My kids love them and they were gone or maybe moved elsewhere

10. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Giant Snails exhibit rotted! It was mostly wood and had to be kept damp for the snails so it rotted. The snails were moved to the Health Centre and will not likely be on exhibit again.
    They are an African species that were there in the first place as a means to talk about invasive species.

11. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Not sad to see them go, honestly. I never paid much attention to them and the rest of my family hated them anyways, so...

12. TZFan

I have a string of bad news to deliver. It's spring I was hoping for some good news.

Deaths...
    Mouflon - Dorthy
    Bactrian Camel - Rebecca
    Bald Eagle - Gronk
    Mata Mata - O
    Egyptian Goose - Annoying (this is the last of the Egyptian Geese apparently if anyone can confirm please let me know)

Transfer...
    Eurasian Eagle Owl - Edgar
    This one is a bit of a surprise. I know they were looking to get rid of Sheldon but since Edgar was a show animal I assumed she would stay. Kind of sad to see the species go after such a short time once Sheldon leaves. They are beautiful owls.

Other news...
    Otters Talise and RJ are in breeding mode. Unfortunately last winters lovefest must not have worked. Guess its another summer until we see otter pups. I can deal with that we have two rhinos and an upcoming gorilla.

Speaking of the gorilla infant... an ultra sound was recently done and the baby was really active. Another month and we enter the prime baby window.

13. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news!

Wolf pups have been born. No other details have been released, but they can be seen on exhibit in the tundra trek.

Meaghan Edwards, TheGerenuk and m30t like this.
  14. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Fantastic that they have wolf pups! I remember when they had a litter in the old Canadian Domain exhibit back in the early 2000s.

Sad to hear about the deaths - I was actually fond of the Egyptian Geese and Rebecca was quite the character.

15. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really hate to do this, but it appears the information I provided was false. The wolf pups have yet to be born, however much breeding has occurred, and we all remain hopeful.

16. TZFan

I have heard from a few people now there are wolf pups. Whether they live or not is the question. Harder with them than other babies because the wolves are kept so wild.

Lynxes Ryan and Tilsbury have hit it off. Tilsbury gave birth as well. It is thought to be a single cub.

Tur, Etana, gave birth but as seems to be a norm with the turn she abandoned it and it didn't make it. More tur could be on the way.

Exhibited black footed ferret, Donatello, has passed. Seems like he was only on exhibit a short while. They will have to wait until another breeder retires to replace him.

17. Meaghan Edwards

Hoping for a successfully raised litter! I think a litter would be good for the pack's dynamic.

18. TZFan

Amur tiger, Vasili, will be arriving soon from Winnipeg. He is a great legacy animal. His great grandparents were Tonghua and Pam who both lived in Toronto.

Tiger at Assiniboine Park Zoo moving to Toronto | CBC News

Probably will hear news soon of his littermate, Kira's arrival from Calgary soon.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Meaghan Edwards

Wow, nice lineage on those tigers!

20. TZFan

White rhino calf, Theodore, is now occasionally on display. No schedule has been determined yet. If you catch him it will be by chance.

Meaghan Edwards and m30t like this.