Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Appreciate the update Mr Wrinkly.

meadowvale likes this.
  2. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Need to think about that and ask around.

3. Mr Wrinkly

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's very good news! I really hope to see this youngster once it is on exhibit. It seems that this year was good for the amount of animals being born. First rhinos, then a gorilla, then wolves and now a pygmy hippo!

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news about our newest baby. Really has been a fantastic year for babies! I'm not sure how 2019 could compete even if it saw two orangs, a rhino, a giraffe and otters (the biggest likelihood babies for 2019). Actually that would be pretty sweet if it included the orang exhibit which it wont.

I was at the zoo Sunday and I cannot 100% confirm the marmoset babies or baby but the section was closed off for "exhibit maintenance." But then I thought about it more and there were no keepers working and I have seen keepers in with them. The common marmosets were not outside and they had no access the door was closed but everyone else could choose to be in or out and they were mostly out. When looking in the exhibits I did notice two marmosets huddled on the sloths box nervously looking around. I tried to take a bunch of pictures of them but they were all blurry and the sloth got in the way. One of the photos does appear to show a small head but I cannot be totally sure if that's what I'm seeing or think I'm seeing.

There was a sign saying there were 6 tentacled snake babies. The facebook post never gave a number.

Anyone know what's going on in IndoMalaya with the birds? The only ones I saw were behind fencing. Everyone else was missing.

I cannot remember if this has been mentioned or not but the Sea Eagles now have full access to their yard and what had been the Eurasian Eagle Owl yard. I would assume this means Sheldon has left the zoo.

6. TZFan

7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will the Pygmy Hippo baby bring up visitor numbers? It sure is good publicity, and a lot of news outlets have covered it.

9. TZFan

I'm not sure how much she will drive up attendance. She was born at an odd time of year given that they have been so cautious about her. They are teaching her to swim when hippos are born knowing how to swim. Many are born in the water. I don't think we will see her on display until mid September so they have missed out on prime time to really see her drive attendance among the general public. She will entice members and more dedicated zoo goers to visit in the fall but she wont be the draw the the rhinos, wolves and Charlie have been all summer.

But if they had been that worried about the timing of her birth they would have held off longer in breeding Kindia and Harvey until about now. That would have timed a great spring baby. And it wasn't like Kindia and Harvey had a problem conceiving first time with their son. It was only a month or two once they start breeding. They should be better able to time the next calf because they know they have a very fertile and compatible pair.

The pygmy hippo will still be a draw no doubt. Just think her impact will be less than the other babies born this year. I'm definitely more excited to see her than the others though. Don't get me wrong they are all fantastic but there is just something so darn cute about a pygmy hippo calf that others come close to but can't quite match.

TZDugong likes this.
  10. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Pygmy hippos are born on land.
    Hippos don't actually swim.

11. Mr Wrinkly

m30t likes this.
  12. TZFan

Every time I see the pygmy hippo calf I manage to fall more in love.

13. RNg0905

RNg0905 Member

I am absolutely in love with the baby Pygmy Hippo. I have waited a long time and here we are! Lucky me, I own a few "house hippos" so that helps fill the void haha. I would post a picture of my house hippos but I don't know if I am allowed as it is not TZ related.
    Now I wait patiently for a tree kangaroo joey and I will be over the moon!

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. TZFan

15. TZFan

I post about the pygmy hippo calf and half an hour later they post that she is indeed visible from 9:30 to 3 depending on Kindia and the calf's needs.

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

Polar bear, Juno, is coming home in the next week or so! I wonder what this means for the family. She's too young to breed so it can't be that Toronto refuses to spay her just yet. With 5 bears I wonder how she will fit in. Nikita and Aurora aren't used to sharing space with anyone but Inukshuk. Hudson and Humphrey are social boys who she could hang with until breeding season.

Judache and m30t like this.
  18. TZFan

19. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Our adorable pygmy hippo calf has a name: Penelope!
    Announced this morning - and so perfect. I saw her on Saturday, what a little sweetie!

blospz likes this.
  20. TZFan

Polar bear, Juno, has returned home! She's officially back on display and greeting her adoring fans along with big brothers Hudson and Humphrey, mom Aurora and aunt Nikita.