Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2020.

1. whitters23

whitters23 Member

So in regards to the wolf fight and Vera passing because of it, I had someone in conversation ask me why they didn't have Vera on some sort of birth control to prevent this sort of conflict in the pack. Personally I think it's sad, but I understand that these are still wild animals and the zoo tries to let them work out their social conflicts on their own, but it did get me wondering... with so many litters being born recently... (this is the 3rd in only a few years, right?) ... Is there a reason they are letting them breed so much, so close together. Are these genetically valuable pairings?

Are they able to put wolves on birth control like they are done with lions in the past?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This will happen in any pack ... when the power balance changes and once it does there is no stopping it.

Keepers might be able to intervene only if they are at it right on the dot and they are there in numbers right away, but that really still is a very long shot.

3. whitters23

whitters23 Member

My friend was saying Vera should have been on birth control to prevent the fight from arising. I don't think anyone would expect zoo staff to physically try to intervene in an altercation.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not think it is the issue. What happens in wolf packs in the wild is that a lesser (in standing) pack member always ends being picked upon. When push comes to shove these end up getting killed during infighting. Also, at some point the social dynamic might change within a wolf pack like the dominant male or female dying and that than creates conditions for strife and re-arranging power balances and at which point also the incidence of going for the kill in between pack members can happen. I do not think it is realistic to expect it to be any different in a captive pack of wolves. The only intervention may be to take a pack member out, but once you do ... there is no way it will ever be able to go back (as wolves are intolerant of outsiders' from their established pack).

whitters23 and Zorro like this.
  5. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nabo was born the Louisville Zoo to Walker and Mariah on January 11, 2010. He arrived in Calgary on October 2, 2012. Nabo and Kiko are most closely related through Kiko's paternal grandmother, Bahati, being a full sister to Nabo's father, Walker. But Nabo and Kiko can be traced to each other a few more complicated ways.

6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has announced keepers are consistently seeing 8 wolf pups.

7. TZFan

Kangaroo, Sydney, has a joey in her pouch which should start venturing out of the pouch in July or August. Good to see Simon is helping to repopulate our mob as we have lost a few last year and some of the others are definitely getting up there. Hopefully this one is a little female. Tori and Sydney are the only ones young enough to breed. Not that Simon would be bred with his daughter but the zoo can always swap him for another male.

Judache likes this.
  8. TZFan

4 Eastern Masssassagua rattlesnakes have hatched recently. I'm sure more will follow as they historically have bred many more than that, usually 10 - 20 a year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

It seems this year will be like 2017 in one way. The zoo was closed due to a keeper strike when Snow Leopard, Clouded Leopard, and Cheetah cubs were born.

We have already had the major birth of a giraffe calf during this closure and there are more coming soon.

Bactrian Camel Suria is expecting soon, and Jozy later, two kudus are expecting and also two Przwalskis. These, by the way, are all first time mothers and fathers except for Kudu Maynard. Lots to celebrate on Fathers Day in a couple of weeks.

That will also be World Giraffe Day and last year TZ announced Mstari's pregnancy that day, so I am wondering if they will announce the baby's name then this year.

Judache likes this.
  10. TZFan

Judache likes this.
  11. TZFan

The naming contest for the baby giraffe has been launched. We have 8 names to chose from.

Amani meaning peace (gut says we have our winner, given the times we are in and its easy to pronounce)
    Jani meaning leaf
    Mapenzi meaning love
    Matumaini meaning hope
    Mosi meaning first born
    Moyo meaning heart
    Umoja meaning unity
    Zahara meaning flower

Little bummed Twiga (in honour of grandma) or some version of Stripes (to honour grandpa and mom) weren't in the mix but it is a nice list. She will be named on world giraffe day, June 21st. Time to get voting friends.

Help the Toronto Zoo name #babylonglegs!

12. TZFan

Two more Massassauga rattlesnakes were born in early June. Total for this season sits at 6.

13. TZFan

A new female komodo dragon is expected to arrive from Disney's Animal Kingdom once the covid 19 concerns die down enough to allow transport. Hopefully the new female cycles and likes Kilat better than Kiki did. Komodo keeper Nigel announced it during his facebook live session.

14. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Red panda Ila is pregnant with two cubs! This is the first red panda pregnancy at the zoo since 1996.

Judache, Kifaru Bwana and Jungle Man like this.
  15. TZFan

It will be a truly momentous occasion if Ila successfully gives birth to the cubs and they survive. Toronto has only had 3 cubs born and survive despite keeping 28 red pandas since 1974. In 1982 Tenzing was the first red panda born at the zoo. Tingri and Phanta were born in 1995. However there were failed litters twins were born in 1982, and 1983, a singleton in 1994 and lastly twins in 1996. I'm actually surprised the zoo said that was the last litter and didn't just count the last surviving litter. Success with Suva and Ila would be great for the whole population. Suva is the number 3 male while Ila is the number 6 female. Their cubs would be incredibly valuable. This is one of the pregnancies I was most hoping for for a long time so I'm pretty excited. First births at the zoo in a long time always excite me probably more than first births ever but equal to legacy babies. I get two more legacy babies this summer with the Przewalskis horses which can be traced back to the zoos first horses.

TheGerenuk, Judache and Jungle Man like this.
  16. TZFan

The giraffe calf has been named Amani Innis Dagg.

Now that she's named who will arrive next? A Przewalski? A Bactrian camel? A kudu? The red panda twins? Or will it be an unknown pregnancy or hatching that surprises us all? The race is on to be the next big arrival. Shame the zoo is closed.

Jungle Man likes this.
  17. TZFan

The zoo is live streaming the release of 57 Blandings turtles into the Rouge right now on Facebook for those interested.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The wolf cubs who emerged from their den in early May are 6.2.

Jungle Man likes this.
  19. TZFan

Red river hogs Hazel and Ginger have left for Quebec. From what I hear possibly Granby but not positive on that.

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. TZFan

Two new male caiman have arrived at the zoo. They have been on site for a few weeks. The brothers are about 6 years old and are temporarily being called Des and Rick after a pair of keepers. No word on what happened to the previous caiman. Probably passed because in the live stream the keeper clearly indicated there was only two.

Zoofan15 likes this.