Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 13 Jan 2021.

1. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

@StellarChaser according to the Animal Plan the tahr exhibit will be used for a potential bachelor group of the markhors that'll be taking over the tur exhibit

2. hyena142

Next year is looking even better for babies! Przewalski's horse Winnie is pregnant and due summer 2022.

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's good to hear, although I feel if the Przewalski's Horse were in an exhibit on a walking path, this birth could be better utilized by the zoo to bring people in.

4. Cowdoy1010

Cowdoy1010 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@cypher agreed. I feel like your average zoo goer is not as aware that certain animals are virtually only visible via zoomobile. I think any baby should be front and center.

5. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

I kind of like the fact the horses are across the water from the path just past the camels. I’ve only been on the zoo mobile once - but it’s fun to watch the horses (especially when they are being playful) from afar.

Although I imagine it would be difficult to see much of the new baby from that distance.

6. cypher

Very true @Zooer, but only if they're visible. Otherwise, you completely miss out on them. Plus, people that don't go often and aren't familiar with the zoo's layout, they won't know the Horses are across the water.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would have been smart to build a bridge across the water at its narrowest point and bump the fence back a little to put in a viewing area. Not huge but just big enough a dozen or so people can stand there comfortably so they can view whats in the drive thru. No guarantee you see anything as its a massive exhibit but I feel like the zoo would be more inclined to add species to it if people could see them more. There is no good reason the mouflon are not in there. The barbary sheep might be able to escape but then I'd have stuck them in with the tahr and had a free exhibit. I also still dont know why the camels aren't in there freeing up their exhibit for takin. They have 5 pens between the drive thru and just P Horse yards. They can easily manage social needs, keep males separated, keep the elderly and young separated too. Just add the mouflon and camel to the exhibit and it will be a more enjoyable drive thru. I see a viewing spot there as another missed opportunity like the path from Tundra Trek to the temple. I bet one day it will happen when someone finally says you know...

8. AJ the TZ Guy

AJ the TZ Guy Well-Known Member

I've never seen them even from a distance. :c I did manage to see the yaks from across the river on my trip this year though.

Also there's definitely about 10-12 wolves in the zoo's pack, on that subject. They were so wonderful to watch, it was amazing how many there were! ♥

9. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Yeah the wolf pack grew in no time, So nice to see the Adults maturing in the Domain to leading a full pack in less than a decade. Absolutely a fun pack to watch with so much of them being less than 5 years old, they are really a fun bunch

10. AJ the TZ Guy

I got such a wonderful surprise while viewing the wolf exhibit, I got to see four of them suddenly run by, which is when I started realizing how many there were. I went "WOAH!" and laughed and everything, and tons of other people began gathering to watch them from all around the exhibit, it was great. :3

11. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Absolutely sounds like a great experience, sometimes if you ever go for opening time and head straight to the wolf exhibit you may hear them howl, I first heard the three adults and the previous litter, then when the full pack started last year they were at least 10x louder. Truly such an amazing experience. Probably makes them or the polar bears my favourite animals in Tundra Trek without a doubt.

12. AJ the TZ Guy

Sadly I can never be there for opening time <:3

13. TZFan

Another really cool animal to get to hear calling out are the Southern ground hornbills. Its such a deep sound but you can also feel the call vibrating through your body. It was honestly one of the most memorable experience I have ever had. Really cool. That one though is based on just dumb luck.

14. cypher

The Southern Ground Hornbills definitely have a unique call.

15. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Possible Bison Calves in 2022, as the keepers suspect that some of the females are pregnant currently.

16. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

Jemima the Brush-tailed Bettong has been transferred to Assiniboine Park Zoo

17. TZFan

The transfer flood gates seem to have opened this fall. I can only imagine what 2023 will bring in transfers both directions now that the border is open.

18. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Especially since the Borders are opening up I can only imagine the amount of arrivals soon coming within the next year and a bit, absolutely can't wait for it.

19. hyena142

So how many bettongs are we down to now? 2?

Last edited: 9 Nov 2021
  20. TZFan

I believe we are down to 2 bettongs unless there has been transfers we dont know about yet which is entirely possible. The goal was to disperse the family across Canada so it wouldnt have been too hard to move them over the last several months to a year. Needed to get places to take them. That was I think the biggest problem.