Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2022

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProjectGames

ProjectGames Well-Known Member

I think that the Nabo to Toronto plan would be more beneficial for breeding. I doubt that Kiko might have more future in Toronto. Not saying its not possible though.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Hyak_II I would be all for Emarah joining us in Toronto provided she can successfully carry a healthy calf to term. Let Kiko sire one or two and then if she can produce healthy calves send her or a girl here. If not let Calgary keep her. They already are saddled with Moshi who is a Masai/retic cross who will never be allowed to breed. A herd with no purpose could be in their future. Should Emarah or the new female produce healthy females they would be great options for Toronto and Nabo. Flip side any of Mstari and Nabo's girls would be excellent mates for Kiko. Amani's will be useless in Canada unless another holder comes on board for the species. However they will be well received in the US.

@ProjectGames, Kiko has no future in Toronto at all unless something happens to destroy the swap. They will like have the boys swapped by the end of October and it starts to get a little cold for transport and a little cold for the rest of the herd to be outside while Nabo quarantines in the indoor holding like Kiko did.

3. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Emarah joining Toronto could definitely happen. 3 Breeding females would be amazing, the barn has the space. But I fear she would just be a waste since she has had like 5 or so claves and none have survived past more than a few days. But the herd would look so much bigger with 3 full grown females, a male and 3 calves seven giraffes would be awesome! But sadly not looking like a possibility. Oh boy if only Matumaini was a female, all the keepers were hoping for him to be a female, but basic biology taking its natural force.

More on Hoot... He came from the magnetic hill zoo for sure a friend of mine got confirmation from a keeper. Also he was outside on exhibit for the first time yesterday. To my biggest pleasure he is a of the black and white coloration! I don't think that Toronto has ever had a black and white White handed gibbon, even if they did still cool to see Hoot and Holly side by side. Also apparently the interactions chasing each other around the exhibit were quite vocal!

Zooer likes this.
  4. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

No way that's so exciting that Hoot is black and white! Definitely hitting up Indo on my next visit then, that'll be a first for me.

5. TZFan

Nice to hear Hoot is out. I prefer blond white handed gibbons but showing the variation in them is cool too.

@Akula, getting Emarah is pointless unless she can produce a healthy calf. Given that Nabo is already 12 the better thing might just be hoping for a few female calves from him. The average lifespan of a male is nearly 16 so how long we will have him is up in the air. The max a male has reached is 25. Hopefully we have Nabo around for several rounds of breeding with both girls but nothing is certain. Female calves would mean we are set up well should he pass and they could potentially breed with his eventual replacement.

6. hyena142

The zoo has posted their first image of Hoot on-exhibit.

[​IMG]

7. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

The Timber rattlesnake that was mentioned to be coming from Pennsylvania on the podcast last year (I'm assuming this is the same snake we're dealing with) is now on exhibit

8. TZFan

First confirmed pregnancy for a 2023 baby has been announced. Bactrian camel, Suria, is pregnant and due in June. Nice start to the 2023 season but we could use some more cool babies. Dont leave it to a camel calf, orang baby Wali and the new orang exhibit be the only draws of the year!

9. hyena142

That's nice to hear! I'm not a huge camel fan but you can't deny the babies are adorable. A baby camel plus a baby red panda will be a great way to draw guests into Eurasia next year. Still holding onto hope a white rhino calf is in the near future now that Tom's spent the whole summer with the girls.

10. TZFan

Red panda cubs arent ever going to help draw for the summer. They arent born until summer and rarely go on display until mid to late fall. Plus I dont know that they will go for another litter next summer. I wish they were better timed because they are flipping adorable!

If Tom did his job this summer we wouldnt see the calf until fall 2023 or winter 2024 depending on the timing. I hope he did his job last summer and then we might get a calf over the winter of 2023.

We dont have a lot to hope for. Probably roos and bison. The inevitable tur. Maybe a Przewalski's horse or two since this summer didnt go well. Hopefully our first saki baby. Given Clare's age maybe a golden lion tamarin but dont get hopes up. Only if Penelope leaves maybe a pygmy hippo calf. And not going to lie getting a little concerned that Ramai has been with Budi so long and no announcement of an orang pregnancy. 2024 has more opportunities if some key transfers in and out finally happen.

11. hyena142

The zoo just announced that red panda Adira will be making her long-delayed departure next week and will be heading to San Diego as per the red panda SSP. She was originally set to head to Edmonton, so this is a major switch. The last day to see her before she moves on will be October 2.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2022
    TheGerenuk and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  12. TZFan

Thank god she is going south of the border! The plan for Edmonton was to breed with her great grandfather which is just icky. She has amazing genetics and should be with a male who she isnt related to so closely. She has just so much more potential down south.

13. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo has officially announced that Penelope the pygmy hippo is heading to the Houston Zoo. She is planned to form a breeding pair with their 4.5 year old male Silas. Visitors can see her through the first weekend of October.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2022
    Haley likes this.
  14. hyena142

That's good news, as much as we all love Penelope her departure was long overdue. Hopefully this means Harvey and Kindia will have another calf for us in the near future!

15. TZFan

Bet with a date in mind they are already beginning intros for Harvey and Kindia. Only takes 8 months and Harvey is very good at what he does so a calf could be on the ground by June or there abouts which is perfect timing if they havent begun breeding already.

Haley likes this.
  16. TZFan

The 12 Vancouver Island marmot pups born this year have been selected for release and were shipped out this week to the prerelease site.

17. TZFan

The red panda cub has a name and they are having a contest to guess the name. They are releasing word jumbles until Nov 1 with one letter in each jumble being a letter in his name. The final jumble will have all the previous rounds letters and reveal his name. If you get the last jumble right on Facebook you could win a behind the scenes tour.

18. hyena142

The first jumble solution is Thyme, meaning that H is the second letter in the name

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say the final name's gonna be Chili, they seem to be loving the spice theme since it matches Paprika and chili powder is red like he is

19. TZFan

Of course its Thyme. Chili is a good guess and probably the right answer.

20. hyena142

Some sad news today, Samantha, our last common marmoset, has passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.