Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo- Births, Deaths, Arrivals and Departures 2014

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 29 Dec 2013.

1. Megakillerwhale

Megakillerwhale Well-Known Member

So glad to know that Robin is doing great :)

2. WILDforLife

WILDforLife Member

Some Holiday help

Hi all,

I wanted to ask a favor of you all should you be in the helping spirit. As passionate TZ fans, who are obviously internet savvy I am hoping you will consider helping me spreading the word online about our campaign projects?

This time of year is a big time of year for holiday related donations to the Zoo. About 80% of all online donations happen in the 30 days prior to Christmas!

If you can take some time to share the links to the fundraising projects page(s) to places you may visit online in these next 30 days, you could really help us raise some funds for these projects. Any websites, forums, blogs, news sites or social media that accept link posts would be very helpful - especially if they are animal, conservation or environment related (related content sites are worth 10 unrelated links).

If willing, all you have to do is copy one or more of the texts below and paste it to the site you are sharing the link with. Including a short personal message is usually a good idea too. The link is built into the text.

Donate to the Toronto Zoo's Wildlife Health Centre

Donate to the Toronto Zoo's Orangutan Exhibit

Donate to the Toronto Zoo's Wild for Life Campaign

If you really want to go above and beyond, additionally send out the links in some emails encouraging your contacts to support the Zoo this holiday season.

Thank you so much. Any way you can chip in would be appreciated. :)

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lots of comings and goings for you.

Coming...
    4 warthog piglets (guess one died or I was misinformed)
    2 male watusi have arrived
    1 male laggar falcon (Raj)
    1 red tailed hawk (came in with a broken leg and wing, it will be staying on to work outreach thanks to the MNR)
    Some blue tongued skinks for outreach
    Various other reptiles for outreach

Going...
    2 female warthogs (Winnie and Petunia have left for their new home finally)
    2 male golden lion tamarins (Jack and Hayden who lived off exhibit and were full brothers to Clare the current breeding female.
    1 male laggar falcon (Saturn, off to breed)
    There are likely far more leaving soon. The zoo needs to clear out the health center of as many surplus animals as possible before construction begins soon.

Deaths...
    Herman the outreach Vancouver Island Marmot.

Injuries...
    Hyena, Pinduli, was injured in a scrap with the boys. She required stitches near her mouth. She will be fine, just hyenas being hyenas.

4. Greendottie

Greendottie Active Member

have we heard anything about aurora?

5. TZFan

I havent heard any possible cub news, sadly but it is cub season.

Lemur, Jack, one of the 2014 twins has moved to Bowmanville Zoo where he will become their new breeding male once mature. His name will change because they already have a Jack. Bowmanville suggested on facebook Benny, Pedro or Randy.

6. Megakillerwhale

OMG Pinduli , glad she is recovering good

7. TZFan

I hear Spectacled Owl, Jamima, is setting on an egg. Also the older offspring of Jamima and Spenser has been sexed as female and renamed Luna from Oakley.

8. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is she sitting on an egg on exhibit? Because for a while there was only one Spectacled Owl on exhibit.

9. TZFan

You know I didnt ask but I will. Its possible Luna is on exhibit while her parents are rearing their second chick. Ill see what my friend knows.

10. TZFan

Sad news all. There have been two recent deaths.

First off baboon, Betty, was put down. They found tumors during an exam and they knew they just couldn't do anything. She had a number of offspring and was older.

Secondly and probably the more upsetting to some of you is the death of arctic fox, Cody. I dont have the details on his passing but the lovable little pine cone fiend is gone. The only potential upside to this is maybe a new breeding male could now arrive.

11. cypher

That's sad to here about Cody, although it explains why Venus has been by herself during my last couple visits.

12. Greendottie

Greendottie Active Member

penguin chicks announced today

13. TZFan

14. Megakillerwhale

We heard that Hippo Sam wasn't doing so well ,the keepers think he will die soon, anyone know more news about him?

15. cypher

Haven't heard anything about Sam or with him being in poor health.

16. Megakillerwhale

Ohh Ok, it just when we was at the zoo we spoke with the zookeeper and she said that Sam wasn't doing so well because they found a huge tumor in his abdominal cavity. But fingers crossed he will make it. Just love the big guy, will be so sad to see him go :(

Last edited: 6 Jan 2015
  17. Zoose

Zoose New Member

Reading a book now about National Zoo, Leonard is mentioned again. His move to Riverside they say but it's Riverdale. Joseph is on the original taxon lists for us. He came with Josephine actually, died 11 days after arrival sadly, leprosy listed as one of his illnesses. Encountering Gorillas, another decent book with info on original zoo histories. Waiting to get The Animal Game next, price is just a bit too high right now for e-book let alone hard copy.

18. TZFan

I did eventually find evidence of the 8th baby gorilla. He clearly wasn't in the studbook I originally read because as I said three years ago I was obsessed with all the gorilla facts and I would have caught it. But in a subsequent studbook I did find him. He was nameless according to that book but if you have evidence of it Joseph it is. Poor little guy. Such a rough brutal short life.