Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2014.

1. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

I second that, Cypher what an awesome idea! I'm sure there would be many priceless faces in photos that you would feel obligated to buy!

2. Jake.Roberts

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That was an amazing video. Professionally done without a doubt. I'm glad they made it.

4. Jake.Roberts

Right Cypher, they need to show it to all those anti-zoo people! It was a very well done video, makes me proud to be apart of the Toronto Zoo!

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Jake.Roberts

The Toronto Zoo paired with parks canada for the summer to have stations set up around the zoo to make visitors more aware about Canadian wilderness & biodiversity!

7. TZFan

I noticed a change on the website. They have now posted their strategic plan under a section called Fighting Extinction. It also details some of their Canadian conservation projects.

Toronto Zoo | Fighting Extinction

8. TZFan

Change up on the board.

Also the zoo expects to reapply for AZA membership in the spring. Fingers crossed that they really do mean spring 2016 and a year later like most things that happen at the zoo.

Raymond Cho is back on the zoo board

9. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Quick question for anyone who may know the answer, when is the cheetah run supposed to start up and are they going to extend the time their running it seeing as they didn't have it running in time?

My coworkers bought tickets and are now breathing down my neck, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

10. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

As of yesterday the mechanism is not working properly and the keepers do not know when it will be fixed.

11. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

12. TZFan

13. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

is the first nations walk in canadian domain open? the one that walks behind the pond.

I've noticed a lot of parks canada demos and informative stalls around with things like animal furs and shells and other neat things. I also got a chance to see some rhino skulls, antelope horns, cheetah pelts and other stuff like that in the building in africa. Not sure what it's called, it was more of a stall, there was a volunteer which seemed to know a lot about the stuff there. It was cool to see some of those things close up.

One of the elephants passed away :( sad to hear even though they're not at the zoo.

After seeing the kind of stuff that people do by volunteering it makes me want to volunteer for parks canada or the zoo,

14. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

One of the things that makes me mad is people feeding the animals, I saw a couple with a bag of bread feeding it to the carp INSIDE the zoo...I told them to stop and they said where is a sign that says to not feed them, and to call security, so I said, fine I will. They did leave though. And the Gibbons(maybe I am wrong, the ones by the butterfly/clouded leopard pavilion) tend to charm food off people, they're very good at it and are very intelligent animals.

I wish people would realize that they're doing more harm than good by feeding animals random snacks that is on their person.

15. Mr Wrinkly

First Nations Walk is closed because it is overgrown with poison ivy and Horticulture has not had time to deal with it.

Parks Canada is around every summer, sometimes for a week, sometimes on weekends. This year they committed to more tables and more time, so are there all summer.

Those are Touch Tables that have been there for years, run by volunteers as they are available. They appear in Indo-Malaya, African Rainforest, and Americas Pavilions, the Panda Centre, and near the Rhinos.

Iringa's death was reported last week on the Births and Deaths thread.

16. Mr Wrinkly

Call any time you see this. 416 392 5929

There are signs, but no sign will compensate for lack of common sense.

17. TZFan

Good for you meadowvale for stepping up and calling security. How many other people knew they were doing the wrong thing and passed by without a word? It's important to stop them before something happens to one of the animals. Feeding the animals is what killed orangutan Kartiko. The orangs got in a fight over the cookies a family was feeding them and Kartiko was knocked into the moat. He sank to the bottom because orangs cannot swim. A lifeguard happened to be there and dove into save him. He and his girlfriend did CPR until staff arrived to take over. Poor Kartiko died a few days later. If other guests don't step up and try to stop someone from doing the wrong thing then other animals could share Kartiko's fate.

18. TZFan

There is a contest on Parc Safari's facebook page for people to get a chance to meet former Toronto resident tapir, Tanuck. Seems like its a caption contest but its hard to say the translation isn't perfect.

19. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's at least one Keeper that I've seen mention this incident to the crowd. It was during the Lion Keeper talk. He mentions that some animals have a hierarchy in who gets fed first. He brings up the orangutan death, and that it could've been completely avoid had it not been for people feeding them.

20. TZFan

The most infuriating part about the death of Kartiko was the fact that the family who was feeding them just slipped away in all of the chaos and never got the punishment the parents deserved. Their actions killed an endangered species and they just walk away and probably never thought about it again.