Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Developments 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know if the wiring in the rhino exhibit is confidence or just prudent precautions. They didnt get a chance to do it last time with the premautre stillborn delivery. The calf was a month or two early. If he had been early and lived they would have rushed to put the wires up.

On the photographer note... oh its going to be a significant problem. From the photo the wires look pretty thick. Not surprising since they need to keep a rhino back.

I have a feeling the genders and paternity will be revealed tomorrow. No way the zoo will pass up a naming contest so I highly doubt the cubs will be named on their 100th day as per tradition. Perhaps the contest will be launched but if big news is coming I think it will be a gender and paternity reveal.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are the wires anything like the ones along the outdoor exhibit, or are they thicker?

Gender ad Paternity makes the much sense to be revealed tomorrow. Also announcing a naming contest of some sort would be a plus.

3. cypher

So far there is a small post on facebook about the Panda cubs reaching 100 days old. Nothing else really significant. Just a video compilation of the video's they've already released along with some new footage towards the end of the clip.

Someone asked about names, and the Zoo replied they will announce naming details soon. Along with those details I'm assuming they'll release the gender of the twins.

Hopefully this all happens later today. I was expecting to find all this information earlier this morning.

4. cypher

5. TZFan

6. cypher

Got a chance to visit the zoo for the first time this year. Here’s what I noticed.

So I saw the fencing that they put up in for the Indian Rhino indoor exhibit. Yeah, TZFan was right, that’s definitely going to be a nuisance to get photos through. To get the best pictures will be when the animals are towards the back of the exhibit, assuming you have a good zoom.

They’ve been putting the Clouded Leopard together for limited amounts of time. Seems Mingma (M) is pretty interested in Pavarti (F). She one the other hand wants nothing to do with him. They’re still pretty young, so Keepers aren’t expecting any cubs. This is mainly for them to get used to each other.

Spoonbills are in the Sacred Ibis exhibit. I think there are 4 or 5 that I was able to see. Also, I can confirm that there are still 2 Egyptian Geese in the exhibit as well.

There’s heavy construction on the exterior of the African Restaurant. Not the actual building itself, but the ground outside of it has been dug out a couple feet.

Went to check out the Lion cubs again. I doubt I got any good pictures of them, but I tried. I found out that the Keepers have nicknames for the cubs, while they wait for a decision on official naming. The nicknames are Big White, Little Spot, Big Spot and Other. As you can see the names are physical descriptions the Keepers use to tell the cubs apart. Big White I believe is the heaviest and has a rounder face. Little Spot has a little spot on his forehead, while Big Spot has a big spot on his forehead. Other is the last one with no real characteristic. Keepers can’t wait for actual names, as they are becoming harder to tell apart as they grow.

Also interesting to here that most of the hoofstock animals can actually handle the cold weather of the winter. The main reason they are kept indoors is to avoid slipping and falling on ice. A broken leg for them is a death sentence.

At the Polar Bear talk, I asked the Keeper about the Arctic Fox, and as far as she knew there has been discussion, but no confirmations on what’s happening. Chances are we’ll be getting a new animal, although no word on what animal yet.

Also, the Polar Bear Keeper said that she is 99% sure that there won’t be a naming contest for the female Polar Bear cub. Mainly because they are usually told if the there will be one way ahead of time. So far there hasn’t been any discussion of having one. She believes the cub will be given the name Juno, which is the Keepers nickname for her.

Also, it’s believed that there will be a naming contest for the Panda cubs and possibly the lion cubs. Some Keepers also believe the Panda cubs will debut for the March Break, or at least be view-able for that week. But don’t take there word for it, they were mainly guessing.

7. TZFan

You count of the spoonbills is in line with what I have heard, 4 or 5. I still wonder if they will end up outside come spring. If avian flu is an issue this spring then I would think not.

There are two Egyptian Geese on display. Apparently the zoo has more than the two on display. Loud and Annoying were never the two with the Ibises. They were in holdings in the savanna. I don't know the names of the pair on display. A friend inquired with a keeper and there were other pairs in holdings. Too bad they aren't put on display. Clip their feathers and let them hang out with other animals. A pair could chill in the rhino pool.

I don't think they lion cubs will get a naming contest. They were the first of the babies born. They have known their gender for a long time. If the zoo wanted to do a naming contest they could have really pushed the cubs over Christmas. At this point we all know they will do a contest for the panda cubs and so many contests stuck close together wont be of much benefit. On set of animals needs a pre Christmas contest. By that token I'm not shocked to hear the polar bear cub wont get a contest either. If all three were to have been done the lions would probably have been done in Nov just prior to their debut, the pandas in Jan just prior to their 100th day celebration and the polar bear probably in March like her big bros. All three may still have been overkill. At this point maybe it will be the pandas and the rhino calf if its born later in Feb.

I would be content if the polar bear cub stuck with the name Juno. I think its a nice tribute to our troops given her very special birthday.

No doubt the panda cubs will debut for March break. That absolutely guarantees the biggest crowds and best chance to pull people in. I like how they are pretending there was ever any other option given the cubs birthday. Had the been born in the summer it would be a different story because they would have been so much older.

As to issue of animals in Tundra Trek... I have been hoping something cool would arrive or at least get foxes back. I really wanted the lynx to take over thus freeing space and budget when the Canadian Wilderness begins but that's not going to happen. I wanted wolverines but again not likely to happen. I could live with red foxes as it does open a conversation about climate change, plus getting them from a rescue group would be pretty easy. I have a bad feeling though they will be replaced by snowshoe rabbits, arctic hare, or ptarmigans. Being an arctic theme there aren't a ton of choices that will fit in such a small exhibit or would be big enough to make an exhibit that size make sense (lemmings would be too little). But that isn't the only exhibit needing replacements. The reindeer herd is down to one. Hazel died before Christmas leaving Eve or more likely Snowy as the sole reindeer. I would love to see caribou swapped in or Muskox (preferably combined). Another cheap option would be move the moose up again freeing money and space in the Canadian Wilderness. They would only need a minor reno to add a pond and some trees. A more major reno would be to add a mountain and bring back dalls sheep or go for mountain goats (my preference of the two). But we will just have to wait and see what the zoo will do.

8. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

I was at the zoo last weekend, cypher mentioned most of the things I noticed, here are a few other things;
    -Alpacas and donkey are currently in the Camel palace right yard, likely a lot warmer over there then their usual space

-There is a new sign up over the former Gaboon Viper enclosure for Nile Monitor, I had a picture but the glare makes it unreadable

-There's some rock work being done in front of the Boelen's Python Enclosure marked with a wet paint sign

-Both of the Chameleon enclosures have been emptied of their plants, dirt etc.

-On top of the construction at the African restaurant, the Peacock Cafe has hoarding up around it indicating some construction

-The former General Store by the Tundra Trek Zoomobile station is one of the new Tim Horton's

9. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the spoonbills are now on exhibit. It's also interesting that the Nile monitor is going to be living in the Gaboon viper exhibit. Right now it's small, but I know that when it's big enough it will move to the Radiated tortoise exhibit.

I know that some people really enjoy naming contests for babies, but I've never cared much about them, so it doesn't really matter to me if some (or all) of the babies are named by the keepers.

I really hope that something replaces the Arctic fox soon. Like TZFan said, red foxes could be a good choice since they're easy to get and would connect to the theme of climate change. I actually do think that snowshoe hares, Arctic hares or ptarmigans would be good choices, but all 3 species are pretty rare in captivity and I don't think the zoo would be able to get them. Canada lynxes and wolverines are both too big for the exhibit, and I can't think of any other options.

Also, I am so excited for the baby rhino! Hopefully the birth is successful and the calf is healthy.

10. cypher

A couple notes on the things that you said:

Alpacas and donkey have been at the Camel Palace since at least December.

I missed the Nile Monitor sign in the place for the Gaboon Viper. Nice catch.

The rock work in front of the Boelen's Python exhibit looks completed. It's nothing big, but it's a nice added touch to the overall feel of the enclosure.

The Chameleons are still off exhibit, but the branches are back in the exhibit.

Construction on the Peacock Cafe is for the addition of a Tim Hortons. The sign on the building actually now says Tim Hortons, along with Peacock Cafe.

The General Store has been a Tim Hortons express since December as well.

11. cypher

Funny thing. I just saw a commercial for Kung Fu Panda 3, which mentioned that the Toronto Zoo Panda twins can be seen this March Break. It's not the first time I've seen Kung Fu Panda 3 commercials also promoting the zoo, but this was the first one mentioning the cubs.

12. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

I almost missed the sign my self, but my co-worker asked if we'd had seen one before and brought my attention to the sign, it will be nice to see one again, though I can't think of where the zoo will move it to once it outgrows the tank.

It's good to know that the three of them have access to a warmer shelter during the winter. I only mentioned it because I hadn't noticed it on my previous visits last year, or the winter year before.

I am happy though to see the zoo move forward, even if it is slowly and not in the places we may particularly want. I noticed the General Store switch in December as well, but the day ended with a lovely 'discussion' with a anti-cap at the zoo and I don't think I ever posted anything about my visit from that trip.

I have a feeling the Chameleon enclosures get a full cleaning every year around the same time, I remember last January they only had the branches in them at the time of my visit.

13. cypher

I heard that on Facebook they posted that Wombat Hamlet turn 34 years old today, making him the world's currently oldest Wombat.

14. TZFan

I do love that one eye old guy. Toronto is definitely doing something right to get Hamlet to reach such an advanced age. Hopefully they will be as successful with Arthur and Matilba in terms of longevity. With any luck they will be far more successful in producing offspring. Hamlet and his mate set the bar pretty low with just Matilba's grandmother.

There was a fantastic article about him last year. For those of you newer to the forum here it is...

World's oldest wombat turns 33 at Toronto Zoo | Metro News

15. cypher

On heard that on facebook the zoo mentions that they will be announcing details about naming the Panda cubs on Monday, February 8.

Also, apparently someone asked about whether the twins have been with Er Shun at the same time yet, and the response was that it will happen after the 4 month mark, which is February 13.

16. TZFan

It's about time they got to the naming contest for the cubs. I hope at that time we will finally learn both their genders and paternity as well.

As for the cubs being both with Er Shun it will happen once both cubs are mobile enough to get themselves into position for feeding. That's the biggest thing. If they cannot get where they need to go to feed then Er Shun will continue to just look after one of them. If they are in the right position without her help then she will happily feed both... or at least the vast majority of female pandas will. They will both be with her before going on display though so the zoo will want them with her in privacy as soon as they can so they can build the family bond before going out. And before they do that they both need to have enough control and strength to follow mom.... that or they train Er Shun to retrieve the wayward cub much like other US zoos do with their cubs.

17. cypher

18. TZFan

I have heard rumor that polar bear cub "Juno" has been put in the maternity den for the first time. While not on display yet she is beginning to experience life outside of the health center.

19. TZFan

Capybara, Pablo, has moved to Riverview Park and Zoo. If someone hears whether brother Diego moved with him please let me know.

20. cypher

Spur of the moment chance to go to the zoo today, so I jumped at the opportunity.

Tim Hortons at the Peacock Café is now open. Despite the Peacock Café signage still being up, its pretty much a Tim Hortons now. I think it will work get, as people will gladly pick up a coffee before heading to the animals.

The Eagle enclosure at the front of the zoo, has been completely removed, building and all. Currently the area is fenced off.

In the Malayan Woods, the Asian Water Dragon exhibit is completely empty. The exterior of the exhibit is blocked by fencing with a wet paint label.

Spoke with a volunteer in the Malayan Woods and he mentioned that they’ll be receiving a new insect soon called the Lord Howe Island Stick Insect. It’s pretty interesting because this insect was believed to be extinct in 1920, only to be rediscovered in 2001. Volunteer seemed to really look forward to it arriving.

Orangutan Puppe has still been going out on exhibit with Budi and Kembali.
    Chameleons exhibits are still empty. The Veiled Chameleon has branches, but no animals. Meller’s Chameleon exhibit is completely empty.

I took a shot of the signage for the Nile Monitor. I post that, hopefully, later today.
    Only noticed 2 Cheetahs on exhibit. Emma and Akeelah. I was able to confirm it was them by calling out their names. Not sure if there were any others on exhibit. Didn’t wait around to find out.

White Lion cubs are getting bigger every time I see them. By the time they go on exhibit, they won’t be the cute cuddly little cubs people saw on the news. It was interesting to here them vocalize with mom Makali. Keeper said that he’s not sure whether a naming contest will be done, but he thinks plans on naming will be made public within the next 2 weeks, although no guarantees.

Construction outside the African Restaurant is still ongoing.

In the Americas Pavilion, the Mexican Red Knee Tarantula has been replaced by the Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula. I think the Chilean Tarantula has been in the exhibit for months now, but the sign is new, as it used to say Mexican Red Knee Tarantula.