Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Developments 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On a separate note, later this month the zoo should be finding out if they will receive their AZA accreditation back. Fingers crossed.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Chinese never would have allowed us to have pandas on rental for say the summer. The vast majority of their panda loans are ten years. Frankly they already compromised with us a ton by allowing Toronto to split the 10 years with Calgary.

There are very few species that are sent out on summer only loans these days. Koalas and rays are the only two that spring to mind. If the zoo was after a short term loan they would have called San Diego to rent a couple of Koala males again for a summer or even possibly multiple summers. That's why my suggestion for snub nosed monkeys is far fetched. Just visiting for the summer isn't too common anymore.

I don't know that the Eurasian Wilds took all that much of a hit from the pandas. The plans proceeded getting the pandas and its not like much was cut. The only thing that stands out to me is that the snow leopards didn't get the second exhibit space. I don't recall anything else being scrapped. And let's face facts the zoo's construction never goes as planned and something always gets dropped due to budget constraints. It's why Tundra Trek doesn't have wolverines... that one still bums me out. It's why the health center isn't getting... I think the necropsy lab or something else I'm confusing with it. Budgets are always stretched thin and something is forced to give. Ah construction... does it ever go as planned... anywhere?

We just have to sit back now and wait to see what kind of numbers and revenue the twins pull in over the next two years. Hopefully they will help the panda's go out with a bang that in turn will help fund the next project.

3. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I echo most of the sentiments on here, I have enjoyed the zoo having pandas and look forward to seeing the cubs, but I think any extension of stay for the pandas would be a mistake.
    In trying to figure out the purpose of the China trip (I want to suggest comically, that the board members are going in search of who the cubs father is), did the initial arrangement to bring pandas here require a zoo board member trip to China? It does really seem strange that for any type of animal loan, an in-person meeting would be necessary.

4. TZFan

Lol that's a good one m30t. Guess they are are looking for the father to step up and provide cub support to Er Shun and the twins. Lol.

5. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

A photo posted by the Toronto zoo on Facebook of our boy Fintan show's him having some cuts around his face! Does anybody know anything else about this? It looks like it might be an older photo due to the grass being green. Did he always have it?

6. TZFan

The lions do have spats from time to time. They do swat, claw and bite each other at those times. Probably just had been in a scuffle with one of the girls sometime close to when the photo was taken. It happens in a lion pride.

7. adams7

adams7 Well-Known Member

8. TZFan

Very interesting article... well no the article was pretty much fluff. But seeing the photos of the new health center is fascinating. The overhead rail for moving the big guys into the building was really clever. Why strain to lift a gorilla? Let the rail do it for you. I hope they will follow up closer to completion and share more photos. Thank Adams7 for sharing it.

9. cypher

In one of the zoo's Weekly Media Send Outs, they mention that all new babies will be on exhibit during the March Break, starting Saturday March 12th ending Sunday March 20th. The zoo's operating time will also be modified, opening 9:30am and closing at 6:00pm.

Here's the link for more details:

Toronto Zoo | Weekly Media Send Outs

10. cypher

Went to the zoo today. So let’s get to it.

Da Mao is in Er Shun’s outdoor exhibit. He didn’t have access to the indoor section. In his outdoor exhibit, they were doing construction on what looked to be a platform for the pool. From what it looked like, they seem to be adding a platform to keep the cubs out of the depths of the pool, yet allow them to frolic in the water. Anyone heard if they are indeed moving the cubs to Da Mao’s yard, which I believe would be the right move.

Snow Leopard Ena was on exhibit. She’s definitely a joy to watch, as she’s a lot more active than Tiga and Kota, which is to be expected. She is younger and still new to the exhibit. But it’s the way that she explores the exhibit and watches to other animals that I found so fascinating. She’s clearly a curious and playful cat.

Went to check out Polar Bear cub Juno, but she seemed more interested in the fencing towards the back of the exhibit.

Saw the Purple Gallinule for the first time in a long, long time. It was in the top branches chirping. Couldn’t get a picture because my camera lens fogged up. By the time it defogged, it was gone. Damn you lens fog.

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

And the twins have been named. The male is Jia Panpan and his sister is Jia YueYue.

The met the media outside for the first time on the platform constructed in Da Mao's exhibit.

Oh and confirmation today from board member and councilor Mammoliti that the board is going to China to try and keep the twins.

Giant panda cubs named at Toronto Zoo | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

13. cypher

I'm kind of hoping they don't get the cubs. I really want the Tigers back.

And Pandas are just so expensive to keep around. Now, if the deal is to keep the cubs for the remainder of the 10 year loan, instead of sending them to Calgary, that's a more reasonable deal, but still not worth it in the long run I think. Despite the novelty of Pandas, they're a pretty boring animal to see, unless you catch a rare glimpse of them walking around, or playing in any shape or form. People are just not coming to see them on a continuous basis, which has been shown from the lack of expected visitors in 2014 and 2015.

Oh, and I guess the names are ok. I just gotta figure out the properly pronunciation of them. Hopefully that goes back up on the zoo website, as it was taken down after the naming contest finished.

14. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I also want to have the tigers back.

Just as a follow up to the naming ceremony, there was brief footage on TV of the little ones outside and they were in the larger outside enclosure, normally used by Da Mao. Hopefully a sign of where they will be when they are outside on a regular basis.

15. cypher

I mentioned in a earlier post that they were doing construction in Da Mao's exhibits over the weekend. Looked like they were adding a platform over the pool. Da Mao was in Er Shun's outdoor exhibit. If the zoo is smart, Er Shun and the cubs will move to that exhibit.

16. cypher

17. TZFan

I agree with you Cypher. I hope they fail to keep the cubs. They are adorable now but hardly worth the $1 million in rental fees alone once Da Mao and Er Shun leave. They might be more playful adolescents but the visits wont be there to make it worthwhile. Let Calgary have the cost burden. We will have had our time with them. Save the money and put it towards the orangs and other projects that will benefit the zoo in the long term. I would be extremely upset if we keep the pandas and because of that construction on the orangs outdoor exhibit gets delayed again. Puppe is the third oldest Sumatran orang in captivity. She was wild born and knew what it was like to have fresh air blowing through her fur, feel rain on her face, breathe fresh clean air, feel grass under her feet but has not been outside that pavilion in 41 years. If they continue to delay the project there is a darn good chance Puppe will not live to enjoy the great outdoors even for a brief while. Naturally the zoo can do whatever it wants but the thought of Puppe not making it to be outside again just so we can keep pandas really would sadden me. So many other projects desperately need funds.

I was really hoping the trip was being done to secure some other species. Yes I know my theory on golden snub nosed monkeys was far fetched but getting takin isnt. The chamois are old. Bring in Takin. Or just go to see what you could trade any of the four young polar bears (Ganuk, Hudson, Humphrey or Juno) or 4 lion cubs. Any new species or additional breeding stock for existing species would be great. But it appears not to be the goal.

18. cypher

Clearly the zoo board is overly hyped about the Panda, and I think that's caused them over value their presence. They are a short term money draw. Long term, they are another boring animal people walk by because it's sleep. Heck that's what was happening in 2014 and 2015. Majority of people left the Pandas disappointed because they were asleep.

The zoo needs to focus on other animals that when given proper enrichment and high quality exhibits, people will come to see multiple times. From my many trips, the animals people enjoy the most are the active ones, obviously. Otters (North American), Orangutans, and Gorillas, Giraffes, and any animals during a Keeper feeding (lions, cheetahs, polar bears, grizzly bear, etc). Even during the weekend, people crowded to see Snow leopard Ena walking throughout the exhibit.

I feel the zoo's biggest goals at this moment should be the Orangutan outdoor exhibit, Canadian Wilderness, and believe or not the Indoor Hippo exhibit. Personally, off the top of my mind, these are the 3 big projects the zoo should focus their attention. I feel they are exhibits, people will enjoy and want to come back and see.

And on a personal preferential note, I sincerely hope the outdoor orangutan exhibit won't have a giant fence over it like the snow leopard exhibit. I feel it takes away from the exhibit and peoples experience. Plus, it can be a nightmare to take pictures through. A moat would be such a better option.

Oh, and lastly, the zoo needs to embrace more mixed species exhibits. It makes the exhibits more interesting in general.

19. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that we have the elands? Have they cleared quarantine yet? Any more info on them?

20. cypher

Last I heard about the Elands was that they have arrived. I believe they should've cleared quarantine by now, just waiting for better weather to put them on exhibit, most likely spring.

I remember a Keeper saying that the plan was to put them with the Giraffes. The third yard (the one filled with trees) was to be their yard. Although, nothing was written in stone at the time.