Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo put out a RFP (Request for Tender) for the construction of and indoor and outdoor Aldabra Tortoise exhibit.

The exhibit is planned to go right out side the main entrance of the African Rainforest Pavilion. The plan is for have the indoor exhibit completed by Dec 1, 2017 and the outdoor exhibit completed by Apr 27, 2018.

Good to know something new is happening since the Orangutan outdoor exhibit has been put on the back burner.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do not have any Aldabran tortoises today, have they? (???)

4. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Seems rather strange they are putting time, effort, and space into a tortoise exhibit. Aldabaran tortoises are pretty cool because of their great size but they just barely can be considered an appropriate species for the African rainforest pavilion. I can't help but feel like that space could be used for something else maybe, and im a huge reptile fan myself.

5. TZFan

Glad to hear they are bringing back the tortoises. I have missed them. Maybe they could include the meerkats there so they could get some outside time.

6. cypher

For those interested, the schedule for the Zoo Board meeting on Oct 25th is up. Not much to see.

Decision Body Profile

7. TZFan

Got to go to the zoo again today. Not much to report.

I believe Indian rhinos, Asha and Nandu were beginning the weaning process. One of the rhinos was inside the rhino house by one of the doors quite agitated. Another rhino was clearly in back banging against the door and calling out. It could have been Vishnu but the horn looked rather stubby so I think it was Asha. Problem is the rhino wouldn't turn their head much and I couldn't get the best look. With all the ruckus in the back and a new calf due in months staff are probably working slowly on separating the two. They would likely want Nandu to leave before it gets too cold and they are stuck with four rhinos and two babirusa in a small building.

It was weird that Indo Malaya was all decorated for Halloween but as I went through the rest of the zoo virtually nothing. Too bad they didn't put the same amount of effort in other places. Never been to boo at the zoo but just seems like a sad attempt at Halloween fun. I was impressed in Indo Malaya and then let down elsewhere.

Only one of the pygmy hippos was out. Hopefully that means a birth watch has begun for Kindia but the holding door was also open so who knows. The birth was to happen this month or next so fingers crossed.

Has anyone seen the warthogs lately? I have been three times this year and have not seen them once. Probably just bad luck.

I really like seeing the prehensile tailed porcupines in the much larger former bird exhibit. I didn't see any movement but you could see them and that's a huge improvement. They have so much more space too which is great. It will be a much better exhibit to view them in especially if they allow Nicole and Paco to breed ever.

That's really all I have. Just stray musings. If I hadn't arrived so flipping late I'd have taken advantage of the abundance of keepers I passed by to pump them for info. Sadly I was on a mission to see as much as possible as fast as possible to make up for the late arrival.

8. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Decorating for Halloween is just something the Indo staff does. KidsZoo also had some decorations. The Education/Zootique lobby was done up for Bump in the Night.

I saw the warthogs last weekend. The boys are still at the zoo, just off display in the rhino hoofstock barn.

9. TZFan

I wish they did a little more for Halloween elsewhere in the zoo for the kids. I was with a three year old who was overjoyed at seeing ghosts and pumpkins all over Indo Malaya. Good for the staff in that area to kick it up. Hopefully they inspire their colleagues elsewhere.

I knew it was just dumb luck I hadn't seen a warthog in three visits this year.

10. TZFan

11. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. cypher

Through my discussions with the staff of the zoo over the years, I've found that a lot of Keepers weren't all that fond of the Current CEO. Hopefully, whoever is brought in is willing to try new and amazing things.

Also, on the facebook page, they mention that the Asha and Zohari are pregnant and when they are expected to give birth.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. TZFan

The zoo has received the Thomas R. Baines Award for the Wildlife Health Centre at the Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA) Annual Achievement Awards last month. Good for the zoo and all those who worked so hard to get it done.

m30t likes this.
  14. TZFan

15. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you have a YouTube channel TZFan? I found a channel on YouTube called "ZooFanatic" and was wondering since there are so many TZ videos on it if it was your channel. It'd be great if you could capture some of these awesome moments for us like the chaos in the Indian Rhino Pavilion and others since you visit the zoo so much. I bet you could probably make a whole show devoted to the zoo like the old show "Zoo Diaries". When I visited the zoo I wished I could've stayed a week instead of only 9 hours in one day.

16. TZFan

I don't have a youtube channel. I'm boring and other than zoochat stay off posting things anywhere.

17. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait you spent 9 hours at Toronto zoo! It must be that whenever I go I only do half the zoo but still 9 hours is a really long time to spend at a zoo!

18. TZFan

Giant Panda, Da Mao, is trying his paw at predicting the outcome of sporting events. He has selected the Argos to win this years Grey Cup... it's not like the keepers would have made sure his favorite treats would be in it so he picked his home town team over his future home town team.

Giant panda at the Toronto Zoo picks Argos to win Grey Cup - Sportsnet.ca

19. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. cypher

This article is talking about the cub we already knew about dying back in June. This isn't about one of the 2 cubs we've been seeing on exhibit. Very misleading.