Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the information. I probably should have double checked to make sure it was correct. Also, why would the website report on something that happened 6 months ago?

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, reporting that now makes it sound like one of the 2 Snow Leopard cubs that are on exhibit now, has died, when that's not the case.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So basically we should be expecting the news of Kota's death in a couple months time from this website. Got it.

TZDugong likes this.
  4. TZDugong

I guess it's a mystery why they did it.

5. Tatsuslava

Tatsuslava Well-Known Member

Any ideas of what new animals the Toronto zoo will get once their new upgrades are done?

6. TZFan

Depends on what upgrades you are referring to. If we are talking the most immediate changes... Amurs will return when pandas go and the exhibit gets a slight modification come spring. Aldabra tortoises are supposed to return next summer when a new exhibit is built for them. The orang exhibit wont bring on new species.

Down the line plans for the Indian Rhino house include Asian Clawed Otters but changes around that area will likely mean the loss of lion tailed macaques (writing has been on the wall for years with them) and clouded leopards. Any of the species in the Malayan Woods will be possibly leaving. There might not be space for everyone in Indo Malaya. The original plans saw gaur as exhibit mates but with them already gone I think that's unlikely.

The Canadian Wilderness may see the addition of coyotes (bad choice in my mind when an endangered species could have the space). I cant remember what else.

Tundra Trek is hard to predict. It calls for the introduction of muskox, caribou and possibly the return of arctic fox.

I cant remember anything else off the top of my head.

7. TZFan

There will be no more white lion cubs. Makali has been spayed. Lemon was spayed very young due to a genetic problem. So hope we all enjoyed Gus, Harrison, Hank and Oliver. They will be the only lion cubs for probably the next 10 to 15 years. Eggs were harvested from the ovaries but once fertilized with Fintan's sperm no embryos developed that could be frozen. Start watching the video around the 4 minute mark. You may need you cable providers username and password to watch and it might only be available to Canadians but try.

Daily Planet | Watch Episodes for Free | Science News and Video Clips

8. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

So a couple thoughts on that awesome video linked to by TZFan.

First, maybe a word of caution that if you are squeamish (or watching the video while having a late lunch) that video clip has a few scenes that would not be ideal.

I don't think the lack of future white lion cubs comes as a major surprise. The issues faced trying to place the last ones alone gave reason to be hesitant about future cubs.

I think that no white cubs being an option really has to have the zoo look at joining the African Lion SSP. I cannot think of any reason on the surface why they could not be involved with it (of course, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes). Space wise, the zoo accommodated the three adult white lions, their four cubs and the two adult tawny lions. So I think they would be able to reverse the situation with bringing in tawny lions and potentially cubs with them. Those cubs would also likely be much easier to place.

Finally, even though they were unsuccessful in having embryos develop for freezing, this is the type of science and groundbreaking research that makes me proud of the zoo. It is really cool to see this type of work being done, and it demonstrates that while the zoo does have it flaws, the science/research areas deserve recognition.

9. TZFan

I'm not surprised either by the lack of lion cubs on the horizon. The staff didn't want white lions to begin with much less breeding them. The AZA doesn't want to promote white lions or tigers so not a particular shock either they are coming in line. Not that its specifically banned. I do agree with the decision to stop breeding them. I just wish we had gone for regular lions to begin with. However on a side note, the zoo didn't have any difficulty placing the boys though. I was shocked they were placed as young as they were. I thought we would be saddled with them for years to come. Also the zoo is part of the lion SSP its just our lions are deemed generic because they are white lions and considered by the SSP undesirable to breed.

Space wise the zoo was actually worried about what would happen when the cubs needed to be separated from the pride. With Lindy and Jerroh taking up half of the lion house and Fintan, Makali and Lemon taking up the other half there was no where for the boys to go once they challenged Fintan. The zoo doesn't have surplus holdings capable of housing large carnivores long term. If they couldn't go to a new home fast or the brothers hadn't died suddenly there was going to be a problem. Housing the whites and regular tawnies wouldn't work long term. They need a bigger lion house and while they are at it get a bigger hyena house too.

The video definitely is cool in seeing what the new health center is doing and capable of. I saw another one earlier in the month that gave a very generic look at the health center which is why I didn't post that one. Hopefully the zoo will keep letting Daily Planet into the new facility so they can showcase their amazing work.

10. TZDugong

I think that would be an awesome idea as otters are a favourite of zoo visitors. Also wouldn't that mean that the zoo would have 3 types of Otter! Do you think that the Otters would take the space that the Malayan Tapir once had? If so that would take a lot of indoor space away from the rhinos.

11. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was there on June 29th. I got there a half hour after the zoo opened 9:30AM and stayed till the zoo closed at 7:00PM which shocked me because most zoos close by 5:00PM. I wanted to stay even though I had to leave! I wish most zoos had summer hours that long.

12. TZFan

The zoo would have three species of otter if Asian small clawed otters arrived. The zoo currently has North American river otters and African spotted necked otters. Although the Africans might not be around long enough for the Asians to arrive. One needs to remember Fred is getting up there for an otter and while Lila is still young African otters are rare. They may not be able to get a mate for her and if that's the case they may choose to send her to the US and retool the exhibit for another species. I would love to see the zoo not only welcome Asians and keep the Africans but also add giant otters. There is the space if the current otter and beaver exhibits were combined in the Americas pavilion. It's the winter space they may be short on. A bigger barn could be build for them behind the exhibit. Four species of otter and I wouldn't care as much about some of the upcoming phase outs.

The Asian otters would not just go where the Malayan tapir once was or the babirusa more recently lived. Remember the rhino house was recently renovated and both sides of the exhibit space have been united into one single pace. Honestly I don't know how they plan on incorporating the otters with the rhinos. The big rhinos are a risk to the otters. Other zoos do it but I'm not sure how it would pan out given the current space. There is a good sized moat I have never seen a rhino or anything else use but the otters will need land space too. I think the house would need some significant modifications.

13. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Awesome video find @TZFan.

A note on the White Lions, Keeper never really wanted them, as previously mentioned. Keepers wanted regular Tawny Lions. The White Lions were a product of the current CEO, who basically wanted to increase visitors. Why come to this conclusion? Well back in 1995, I think, White Lions were first brought to the zoo and visitors count increased. CEO was trying to replicate that. Same thought process in why we currently have Pandas.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. TZFan

I cannot take credit for the finding of the Daily Plant video. A good friend sent it along to me and in turn I have shared with at least my Canadian zoochat pals. I really hope those of you who are outside of Canada can see it.

15. TZDugong

That's a great idea! Giant otters fit with the American theme and those two exhibits would be a very nice habitat. Plus since the Beavers are always in their lodge I would be okay if the beavers moved. But I wonder what will go in the otter exhibit when they get the new one in the master plan.

That's an interesting idea as that would lead to some cool interactions. However I agree with you on that it would need a significant modification. I'm not really sure if its worth it as the Rhino house is already cool and they should use their money to make new, amazing exhibits.

16. TZFan

I don't foresee the zoo doing anything about otters of any species for a good long while except maybe get rid of the Africans. There are many other projects which will come first. I don't think the rhino house or the Americas pavilion are slated to be touched for at least ten years, probably longer if we are realistic.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. TZFan

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that keeper is well right and spot on.

19. TZFan

The board meetings agenda is up for the meeting today. Nothing of real note. They are looking for a few people to fill certain positions. Revenue and attendance for the year are down due to the strike but they had their third best October ever showing a strong rebound. They are making their annual donations to the various endangered species projects as per usual. Light agenda.

20. TZFan

Palorchestes likes this.