Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think the Amur tiger exhibit is open yet but both Vasili and Kira arrived and would have cleared quarantine about a month ago. Must be some kind of hold up with the modifications.

There is a timeline for things however they are already a year behind on the master plan and it just came out early last year. The tiger exhibit would be open and the orang outdoor exhibit should also be open. The guars didnt even leave until this spring when they were supposed to already be gone in the spring of 2017 to make room for the orangs for a spring 2018 opening. Demo has been done but no plan has been published to be bid on by contractors. Unless its being done in house I would say at this point it will be at least 2020 before we see it. If they haven't even started that you can safely assume all other big projects are also going to be pushed back.

britishzoofan likes this.
  2. TZFan

The zoo has a NEW Adventure Bundle which includes the Gorilla Ropes Course, a Tundra Air ride and the Zoomobile for $25 for the public and $17.25 for members (not much of a deal since they already ride the $8 zoomobile free) and you also get $10 off the Wild Rouge Zipline Adventure.

3. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

The zoo should make a vape lounge and call it the al-dabs turtle hut where you can slow down and moss out

Jokes aside I wonder how they will handle legalization since they already allow beer to be sold and allow smoking/medical canabis users

4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I think the zoo will include vaping under smoking if it doesn't already.

5. TZFan

I got bored and decided to waste some time figuring out how many SSP's Toronto participates in.The zoo participates in 20 Greens, 91 Yellows and 15 Red programs for a total of 126. For those who don't know the green are the most stable programs for the long term. Yellow programs are potentially stable but do require additional attention and effort to keep it stable. Things that could be consider in that is a need to increase space, genetic diversity and population size. Red programs are unstable populations in critical situations where intense management is needed to find founders, build the population and establish space. Generally these will be populations between 20 to 50 animals depending on the needs of the species. Not all 126 are breeding populations. There are lots where we just hold animals so other zoos can breed. Now based on what I could find I'm probably off a bit but likely not by much. If anyone is interested in the list let me know.

m30t likes this.
  6. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’d love to see the list TZFan. It’d be much appreciated.

7. TZFan

Sure thing Animalman0341. I'll post a specific thread with it just so its easily found for reference down the line for everyone.

8. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The zoo has found a new CEO!
    I have yet to be able to find any media articles online about it; however, the zoo's website has a post under press releases (and it is being reported on that old time medium people like me grew up with, television) that Dolf DeJong, currently GM at the Vancouver Aquarium will be taking on the role.
    Looking over the press release, of particular note is that DeJong also served as VP of Conservation and Education at the aquarium. I hope that is a positive sign for the future of the zoo.

9. TZFan

A new CEO is great. Let's hope the best for the direction the zoo will go in during this CEO's reign.

In other news the zoo is offering 25% off admission this month! Just need to download the coupon from the website or purchase online.

Renos are coming to the pygmy hippo and red river hog exhibits. Mostly looks minor.

http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2018/RFQ 32 (2018-08) - Palisade Replacement at Pygmy Hippo.pdf?

http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/...ade Replacement at Pygmy Hippo_2018-07-27.pdf

Last edited: 17 Aug 2018
  10. TZFan

11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited the zoo yesterday, so I thought I should give my thoughts on the 2 new exhibits, the Aladabra Tortoise outdoor enclosure and the Asian Carp exhibit.

Exhibit-wise, the Carp area is the same as it was before, but I was impressed by the fact that interesting non-Carp fish were added, particularly the Gourami. The signage is also pretty good, and the area just looks fresher than it did before the renovation.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Aladabra outside enclosure. On one hand it's certainly large enough and has a nice den, but at the same time it is really ugly. I'm not sure why there's a need for a fence and metal bars to keep the Tortoises in- surely there's a low risk of them escaping? And don't get me started on that hideous fake tree branch!

12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

@TZDugong Yeah, sums up my thoughts on it from the photos i've seen. I feel like they could have used the space for another primate or bird exhibit; heck, i'd be open to the zoo getting a breeding pair of duikers and starting a breeding program.

TZDugong likes this.
  13. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree @TZDugong. I think the outdoor tortoise yard is quite nice and is a visually pleasing and practical addition. One thing to note, the double layer of fencing may quite possibly be not just to keep the animals in, but also to keep the public back (and thus discourage people trying to feed the animals).

@Yi Qi the zoo certainly could have used the space for this animals you mention, but it might not have been the best idea. Duikers are a favourite of many on here but do they have the same appeal to the general public? My anecdotal experience is that they do not. I’ve been to the Toronto Zoo about half a dozen times since the outdoor tortoise exhibit opened and there is always a crowd at the exhibit. Duikers also wouldn’t bring the same historical lineage that the tortoises bring. It was a nice touch for the zoo to bring back the same individuals who had been here previously.
    Primates would be fun but they would also likely have resulted in a more expensive exhibit upgrade. Even if that extra money is available, where would they be held during the cooler months? The tortoises have been a relatively smooth fit with the lemurs, but for another group of primates you would need a whole new indoor exhibit. Something there isn’t the space or the financing for. Conceivably they could move the lemurs they currently have outside for the summer, but that would leave their large exhibit right by one of the pavilion entrances empty all summer.
    The tortoises thus make the most sense and were a great way to spruce up that part of the zoo.

14. TZFan

I agree with m30t.

To me the double fencing is more for us than them. People are dumb and would feed them or get bitten by them thinking they are being fed. A glass wall would have allowed a nicer view but look how troublesome the outdoor glass is for viewing and photography in other areas of the zoo. It would have been a hassle needing cleaning. I suppose they could have used a concrete wall and a ditch but that would have reduced space for the tortoises. Barriers are always a balance between animal needs, guest desires for unobstructed views while keeping them safe from their own stupidity and general maintenance. It's always a compromise.

In terms of other species. Yeah it would have been nice to have a more dynamic species. The space isn't huge so it needs to be a smaller species and based on the the winter holding need to be something that can live with the river hogs, or lemurs. Those are the only larger exhibits. Leaves some question as to what do you choose. Just being totally realistic I think using the space for something already at the zoo that doesnt have an outdoor exhibit. I would have liked to see the lemurs get an outdoor exhibit or for the meetkats be included in the exhibit for the summer with the tortoises. But what do you do with the indoor exhibit for the summer? It's all a series of compromises. Could something else have come sure. But the tortoises do seem to have a ton of fond memories for those of us who grew up with them.

Yi Qi, Judache and m30t like this.
  15. meadowvale

Any plans for the zoo to have wifi? The museums have them and it's nice to post pictures as a person is traveling vs when they get home

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

The zoo just announced the corpse flower has begun the 8-36 blooming window. The zoo is open late to view it. The cost is $12 and the zoo will be admitting those who want to see it until 9pm.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. TZFan

19. TZFan

20. meadowvale

Those bat detectors are really cool and there were some nice bats flying around the zoo today during the corpse Flower exhibit viewing

Kifaru Bwana likes this.