Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 18 Jan 2021.

1. Cowdoy1010

Cowdoy1010 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@hyena142 I agree - hopefully just the start of what will be many updates because if this is all, seems like a largely missed opportunity.

2. Cowdoy1010

Cowdoy1010 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw this on Dolf's IG. Looks like they're testing the babirusa with the Gibbons again.

Screenshot_20211116-010808.png

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's good news. I welcome any testing with mixed species exhibits.

4. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

Really cute pic. Nice to see that the pairing worked out well enough last year that they're continuing it.

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I dont think its a test. Bucky is just back for the winter. All the more important this year as rhino Kiran can no longer be considered a calf and he needs to probably be kept separated from Asha at night, if he's not fully on his own yet anyway.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. hyena142

@TZFan Doesn't Olive stay in the Rhino House over the winter though? With her leg issues I'm not sure they're comfortable putting her in with the gibbons.

7. TZFan

Yes Olive stayed there last year. Who knows what they will do this year but I would guess she is given her and Bucky's pen. Bucky could have moved over to a rhino stall for the winter while Kiran was a little guy. Now that he is a big sub adult male though he likely needs his own space so what would have been Bucky's winter digs are probably Kiran's now.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying Olive with the gibbons if they continue to be kind to Bucky. Lenny and Holly didnt really show aggression to him last year and if this year goes well why not bring her over next year with him if there is space to keep them separated in the holding. I assume there must be since the original plan for the babirusa was to live full time with the gibbons. Though that was also before the leg injury so maybe the plan was for them to live together full time and put Olive on birth control and Bucky is the issue not the gibbons. No idea.

8. hyena142

That's what I'm thinking, last year was a good time to test the waters again with Bucky since there weren't any guests in the pavilion and now that they know Lenny and Holly have chilled out they can try putting Olive in there and see what happens. If they do fingers crossed it works.

While we're on the subject of Dolf's insta here's the latest pic of the orang construction
    upload_2021-11-16_9-55-50.png

9. TZFan

I hope its a mild winter and they can get lots of work done because right now I'm not so sure it will be open for spring and depending on when spring starts might not be ready for July 1. Looks like so much work to do still. All just footings and a few maybe walls? If all of the physical containment work was done I would feel better about the pace they are going. Spring comes and bolt in the climbing structures, add the exhibit dressings, do the guest touches, plant and you are ready. This is clearly a long way from that. I am not sure what the hold up is. There is clearly work being done but it feels like the pace is insanely slow. I can't say I am confident it will open for summer 2022 and if it doesnt then for crying out loud they better not open it in the fall and loose all of the fan fare of a new exhibit, heres looking at you Eurasia. Though with an infant on the way I bet the zoo is now trying to crack the whip and get it ready for the little ones grand arrival. Milk both things for all they are worth!

10. cypher

It's hard to tell, but it does look like there's still a lot of work to get done on this, which is not a good thing. Toronto is notorious for construction delays, even more so when the government is involved in any capacity. So I'm with @TZFan hoping for a mild winter, that will hopefully allow some work to get down throughout the cold months.

11. TZFan

Hey did anyone know you can book a free zoo pass through the Toronto Library system? I wont try to explain it all because the article does but its not just the zoo there are tons of other options as well. I know most of you have memberships so not an issue for you but maybe we have some people who dont have memberships or wont during the pandemic so this could be a great program to look into and not just for zoo purposes. It mentioned the ROM and AGO to name a few other options. Might wanna check it out.

You Can Get Free AGO, ROM & Zoo Passes From The Toronto Public Library & Here's How

12. TZFan

The zoo is up to something with the lemurs. They are having a new lemur vestiblue built at the back of the exhibit in what is now keeper areas. Im a little confused. Looks like they maybe want space for both groups to be out without being together? I didnt find the description too helpful. What do you guys make of this?

https://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2021/RFQ 43.2021.11 COMBINED.PDF

The wildebeest and in the summer the ostriches are getting a quality of life update. The outside holding yards will get a roof and heaters and be modified so they are loosing some space they currently are. Also inside there is something about removable walls. Maybe so the boys can be together more easily in the winter. Interesting to see how its set up. Doesnt really look idea for 3 wildebeest and what was supposed to be 4 ostriches. Just glad they are doing something so the boys will have more room in the winter. If the heaters and roof keep the 2 outdoor yards warm and ice free they will double their usable winter space. Ostriches still need to move out but thats another problem for another day I suppose. Any work being done on that undersized shed they live in would be huge.

https://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2021/TZC T 39-2021-10 COMBINED.pdf

The ostrich yard retaining wall is also to be replaced.

https://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2021/TZC T 38-2021-10 COMBINED.pdf

Zoo is also looking to install new LED solar powered lighting along the paths. Wonder if they are gearing up to be open later or just a security thing. Probably just security.

https://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2021/RFQ 40.2021.10-SOLAR LED WALKWAY LIGHTING.pdf

Next board meeting is Dec 9th. Who wants to join me in a crazy dream where the master plan is unveiled? Sadly most of me has lost hope for 2021. Maybe 2022...

13. cypher

Not sure what to make of the vestibule of the Lemurs. Interesting though.

I'm waaaaay ahead of you on the crazy dreaming for the Master Plan reveal. the plans of December board meeting should be up sometime next week, so here's to hoping. Although, I don't think it's going to happen. I think it's going to be released 2022 the earliest.

14. TZFan

Yeah I agree. Something to start the new year off with a bang. However there is something to be said for a December release. Get a lot of interest going at the time of year when people are the most likely to donate. Position the whole thing as this is the zoo of the future we will build together, so please help out, heres the link for your tax deductible donation.

15. cypher

Exactly. Some people only donate money for because they'll get a tax deduction. This is definitely around the time of the year where the zoo should be ramping things up on donations. Having the Master Plan to show would be that extra selling point to solidify those donation.

16. TZFan

Just watch though they will blow it and present it in January or something when wallets have closed in the post Christmas bill period because people are shocked to see how much they actually spent last year.

17. cypher

Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. The Master Plan is already waaaay off schedule, which in turn, pushes everything else back.

And because the zoo is government owned, construction takes extra extra long. The Orangutan exhibit seems to be moving at a snails pace, despite the fact that it is making headway.

18. TZFan

Absolutely the master plan is so far off track its not funny. Its a year behind when it should have been revealed based on their own timeline plus a few months for good measure. It wouldnt impact the orang exhibit because that was already well into the development phase when they decided to do a new master plan. The front entrance though... Im certain the master plan has had an impact on that in some form. Part of me wonders if it was released say in mid 2020 which I think was the goal, dont take that as fact, then would they have finished plans and be looking to start construction in the spring? Maybe. I mean the way I see those two projects as tied is the master plan is the look into the zoos future and since it seems like they want to put a more community minded spin on it then I feel like the front entrance as that first impression of the zoo needs to be designed to convey that feeling right off the bat. I see the two things as very intertwined, right or wrong. Any of the other projects on the master plan don't in my opinion kinda need to wait on a whole picture plan as much as the entrance does. Ultimately it does push everything back. At the same time we also know that the 10-15 year plan we see in the master plan would actually take 30 years or more to complete at the pace the zoo is able to move. I mean just look at the orangs. 2017 we hear that come spring the gaur are on the move and demo will begin. Then the strike happened and we all know the rest. It's nearly 2022 and still no orang exhibit, though at least we are seeing progress. I do give them that. You can finally see they are building upwards.

19. cypher

I'm really interested on what new ideas, if any will come out of this plan, and whether current ideas on the master plan are still something they're looking into. For example, are The Ravens Roost and Carolinian Forest Boardwalk still on the table, or will they be scrapped? Or what about the Canadian Pavilion? Is that still happening or will that be changed as well? And what is going on with the monorail replacement in the Maglev system. The company the suggested this plan still lists Toronto Zoo as an ongoing project.

I think it would be a pretty big disappointment if this new Master Plan is a rehash of the old one with select projects moved around in the timeline. I'm hoping to see new plans for exhibits, as well as plan for new species being brought, as well as old species being phased out.

20. TZFan

No I think the old plan is out the window. If it was still what everyone wanted then why redo the plan in less than 5 years? That is crazy. Dolf is now CEO and he sees the future of the zoo differently. Do I think the domain, Indian rhinos, Americas and Savanna will be addressed? Yes but in very different ways. You cant have rhino ridge without rhinos. I think there is genuine question on moving the domain or leaving it. Who knows what the future of the Americas is? And by the time they did all those things it would be time to consider the savanna again. They have shown interest in some cool new ideas like the daycare, a proper restaurant and the savanna pavilion and very bizarre things like medical offices so you can get your appointments done before, after or during a visit. I hope they come up with cool ideas. I know I will hate some of them. Cant take my rhinos and hippos and think I will be thrilled about it. But I think they would have a hard time making me hate it as much as I did the last master plan. I mean who thought moving Australiasia to Indo would be smart. That pavilion can barely hold what it has. You just know the zoo would have had to give up all of the Australian mammals and if we are realistic the komodo too. The birds and some reptiles would have stayed but the rest were toast. And converting their at the time brand new Eurasia into the Canadian Wilderness/Eurasia was bizarre. Not to mention leveling the temple. I think we all love the temple. Needs some beautification sure and an expansion for the jags sure but its the only place we have for bigger South American animals. Would have been a shame to loose them because in the end Im still not sure how they were going to fit the jags in at the Americas without enormous costly renovations. Nope I am pretty sure the plan while it still needs to tackle the same areas and upgrades for guests will do so in very different ways. Its a very different team leading the way than 5 years ago that is way more innovative and open. Should be good for the most part.