Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Discussion thread 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2020.

1. MEMY

MEMY New Member

I’m happy that the zoo is getting two walruses I’ve always wanted to see one in real life they were supposed to be arriving this spring but it had to be cancelled because of the COVID-19 and I was so upset

Judache likes this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi Memy welcome to the gang!

I think we were all shocked and pleasantly surprised to see walruses were to join the zoo this past spring. I know a lot of us tried really hard to figure out what species was coming and I think most of us just totally dismissed walruses because it seemed too improbable given their rarity in captivity and the fact we thought a new exhibit was needed and never considered exhibit sharing with the polar bears. I for one would be thrilled to see them at the zoo. I have seen them in real life at both Sea World and Marineland but it will be different.

That being said we need to temper our expectations. Covid was not the reason they didn't come this spring. Sure hasn't helped but the reason they wouldn't have arrived regardless of covid was that the exhibit isn't ready. None of the necessary renos to the polar bear house have been done. No shade sails in the pool yard, the maternity yard is to get a much much bigger and deeper pool, the house needs door widening and a pen that has a pool. Most of that work would have needed to be done before covid even hit if the walruses were to arrive on time. Truth of the matter was the zoo was still trying to find a contractor to the work even as late as this past spring. And no work has been done this past summer probably due to covid but the zoo might also still be struggling to find a contractor. 2021 seems highly unlikely. But complicating the issue even further is one of the two female walruses we were supposed to get has died. The "purpose" of the visit from the walruses was to study maternal behaviour. Problem is the adult female we were to get presumably pregnant was the one who died. Her older daughter was to join her but she is too young to get pregnant and she only lives with her father and brother so she wont be arriving pregnant. Seems like the purpose for the deal is gone. No way to study maternal behaviour when there will be none. Stinks there is no chance of a calf. There was nothing I wanted to do more than see a tiny walrus calf because I know ho super rare that is. Though I think we all know the true purpose of the transfer is to make money for the zoo. I just don't know if they will still do the transfer for one walrus and even if that socially is acceptable for the walrus. Would we maybe get all three walruses? Would we get her and another walrus from the states? Who knows what will happen there. I still really do hope we get the walruses but I think we need to temper our expectations. We may not get them and if we do that still more than a year away minimum.

Also a bit of a bummer is the fact that the walrus who passed was the only Atlantic walrus in captivity. While most people wouldn't know the difference it would have been something exciting for us zoo nerds. Would have been cool to have a one of.

3. TZFan

Domain keeper Ken has retired after 41 years at the zoo. His last keeper talk was Nov 29 on facebook live. Kind of sad the zoo is closed so guests who know him really well didn't get a chance to say goodbye and thank you for all of the fond memories.

Judache likes this.
  4. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was going through some of the latin in the zoo report and it listed our lions as Panthera leo melanochaita that has to be a mistake right? This couldn't have been Rowdy's boys could it? The only other guess is someone thought the melan was there for melanin.

Also I remember @Kifaru Bwana was asking about our Dwarf Crocodiles there listed as Osteolaemus t. tetraspis hope that helps.

Wonder what the likelihood of getting koalas Australia usually has a steel grip on there animals but with all the non releasable individuals I suppose it's a possibility, has anyone heard about any being sent to other zoos?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Panthera leo melanochaita is the lumped subspecies from south and east Africa, including several other / former subspecies including krugeri. It's just a taxonomic decision on the name they are using.

Kifaru Bwana and kingoffreaks like this.
  6. TZFan

Judache likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, lumping .... which is in my view remains an oversimplification of the realities on the ground.

8. TZFan

9. TZFan

With 2020 coming to an end I was wondering what were some of your zoo highlights of 2020. I'll start with some categories I can think of but feel free to add.

Favorite baby - Amani, cant beat our 4th generation giraffe calf! Need I say more?

Favorite new arrival - Yikes that's hard the list is so short. I guess I'm glad we have two new cheetah males, David and Clark. Two increases the potential of cubs if one is a dud at breeding like Bakari was last year.

Favorite personal experience - loved doing the behind the scenes with the hippos. Still wish it had been a year where I could touch them but to be so close was still cool.

Best development - hard one because a lot of news about future things came out and the outdoor orang is actually seeing progress but if I have to pick my favorite change its the live streams the zoo is doing daily on Facebook. It lets us visit from afar, experience a keeper talk and usually go behind the scenes on a daily basis. I really hope they keep it up in a "post covid" world.

Saddest loss - 100% the loss of gorilla Josephine! While we all know the reality is Charles and Josephine, and orang Puppe's passing was and still is going to happen sooner rather than later, I personally was shocked it was Josephine to go first. I'd always assumed it would be Charles, then Puppe then Josephine. It will be a sad day when I get to visit again and the old girl isn't there anymore. She's been there my whole life and to not see her anymore will just be sad.

Most disappointing - the impact of covid on the zoo. Sure it sucks we all couldn't be there for months on end and cant be again, and even when opened things like the behind the scenes, Terra Lumina and access to the animals was different but the impact on the zoo and the staff is so much more. It will be a long time before the zoo recovers.

Most uplifting - I loved how when the zoo put out a call for financial help people heeded the call and supported the zoo in ways I dont think any of the staff expected. In 24 hours they blew right past their initial small goal and over the course of the next week the zoo was able to cover most feeding expense for 6 plus months plus all of the other support they got in goods from companies and other services. At a time where they really needed help we as a whole community stepped up and helped out.

I cant think of any other categories off the top of my head but feel free to add if you have one.

10. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for the summary of events and for the births and deaths list on the other thread, I enjoy your insights into your very fine zoo!