Join our zoo community

Tracy Aviary Tracy Aviary News

Discussion in 'United States' started by jusko88, 25 Nov 2012.

1. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

2. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just posting some updates here to the review I wrote for Tracy Aviary previously since I feel like a news thread is more relevant than adding to the review thread.

In Rare Birds, the male Reeve's Pheasant has been removed from the Argus exhibit; Brewer's Blackbird and Chaco Chachalaca are temporarily off display; the Black-billed Magpies from Flight Cage are now housed with the Roadrunners and Bobwhites.

In Flight Cage, the Northern Flicker is no longer on display; Blue-winged Teal were added to this exhibit.

In Owl Forest, the long-eared and short-eared owls now share an exhibit; burrowing owls were added to the aviary and have their own exhibit here. (That makes 9 owl species on display currently at the aviary)

In South American Pavilion, Ringed Teal and White-cheeked Pintail were added to the Scarlet Ibis/Crested Oropendola exhibit; Red-capped Cardinals are temporarily off display

If this is something Zoochatters would like to read I can try and provide updates periodically.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tracy Aviary

Updates from this place are always welcome

4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of course they are. Thank fkalltheway. What's the latest on the new Andean Condor exhibit?

5. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

I'd love updates from the aviary! It's one of my favorite places to visit.

I got the chance to go on a walk with Andy during one of his frequent walks around the aviary with his keepers. I inquired about his new exhibit and they mentioned that it won't be done in time for his birthday, but it may be finished during the summer time. Not sure what they're planning to do with the old exhibit. Obtaining yellow-headed vultures would be pretty neat, keeping with the America's theme.

6. fkalltheway

Sorry, I posted all the info about bird moves and didn't think to write any construction updates!

The new condor exhibit is moving right along, perches have been put in as well as the rib cage climbing structure for kids adjacent to the condor enclosure. I've posted a picture in the gallery, and it can be found here.

The new bird show holding buildings (three buildings) seem to be nearing completion. Once these buildings are completely done the bird show birds will move over and then their current holding spaces will be demolished in preparation for the construction of the brand new bird show theater.

As for the old condor exhibit nothing will be placed there as it will be demolished in the near future. That cage as well as the adjacent turkey vulture and hawk cage are some of the oldest at the aviary and will be completely demolished and possibly replaced with a new exhibit some years down the road.

7. DeydraOZ

Any news on the plush-crested jays that used to be in the South American pavilion? I think their exhibit is now occupied by the spectacle owls, and before that I think it used to house the guira cuckoos.

8. fkalltheway

There are no longer any Plush-crested Jays at the aviary. The last male that we had went to Nashville Zoo.

9. DeydraOZ

Aw, they were some of my favorite birds.
    I don't think corvids (beyond American crows or common ravens) are commonly kept in bird collections.
    It was nice seeing them while they were at the aviary.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What about the Red-billed Blue Magpie, because in Europe it still is one of the most commonly kept and bred corvid ? Abd the Blue jay, is this one kept at the Tracy Aviary or in other US-collections. For about 20 years I took care for a small group in a Belgium collection and we even bred them. Now-a-days only very few are kept in Europe.

11. fkalltheway

At Tracy Aviary there are a lot of corvids in the collection: Black-throated Magpie Jay, Green Magpie, Black-billed Magpie, Scrub Jay, and American Crow.

12. DeydraOZ

More corvid news! Actually found this out from the Denver zoo's page. Their female green magpie will be joining the current green magpies (who are brothers) at the aviary soon~!
    Here's hoping for future chicks!

13. DeydraOZ

Two roadrunners were born at the aviary. They are being hand raised and visitors can see them in the South American pavilion nursery. The aviary hopes that the new birds will be apart of their bird show.

14. fkalltheway

Since I last posted Tracy Aviary has added Blue Dacnis, Black-faced Dacnis, and Bananaquits to South American Pavilion. White-cheeked Pintail have moved out of South American Pavilion and onto the Flamingo Pond.

Two roadrunner chicks have hatched and were on display to the public in the hand-rearing room, but have since moved on to their adult home in the new bird show holding area.

Other recent births include a king vulture chick and a Socorro Dove chick, both of which hatched in mid-March.

Like others have already posted, a female Green Magpie from Denver Zoo has arrived and is almost done with quarantine.

Some recent acquisitions for the bird show department include a Milky Eagle Owl, a Wrinkled Hornbill, and a Red-tailed Black Cockatoo.

The Andean Condor exhibit is just about finished and Andy has been making daily visits to his new home. It should be opening at the end of May, not exactly sure on a date.

15. DeydraOZ

The bird show mew construction is complete and visitors can now see some of the birds in exhibit mews like the wrinkled hornbill.

Shows will start up again on June 1st.

And Andy has been spending more time in his new exhibit, (I think even spending the night).

16. DeydraOZ

Tracy Aviary's red-tailed black cockatoo is missing. She was spooked and flew away from her trainers during flight training. She was last seen at 2pm around Liberty Park.

Here's a link to their facebook page post that includes numbers of who to call if the bird is found, and a picture of the bird herself.
    Missing Cockatoo

17. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss that bird. I completely understand why it was placed at Tracy Aviary though. Hope she does well for them too. :D

18. DeydraOZ

Matilda has been found!
    The aviary received a call by someone who had her in sight, and the aviary sent their staff up the tree to get the bird! After some coaxing Matilda flew to her trainer and she is safe and back at home!

19. fkalltheway

Just to clarify, the female green magpie from Denver is living with the older male green magpie, the two younger magpies (who are brothers) live in a nearby exhibit. So total at the aviary there's 3.1 green magpie.

In other news, 2 andean geese will be placed out on grounds as roamers in the near future.

New birds are being brought into quarantine in the next week or so, including cabot's tragopan, chestnut-breasted malkoha, and more scarlet ibis.

The black-faced dacnis left for National Aviary this week.

20. DeydraOZ

Are the Andean geese brand new to the aviary? I thought I remembered at least one roaming around. I haven't seen him in quite a few months.

I can't wait to see the chestnut-breasted malkoha. It looks gorgeous!