Join our zoo community

tree-kangaroos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by patrick, 25 Jul 2006.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

since tree-kangaroos are seem one of those species that manage to frequently take over threads on other topics (elephants being the worst offenders!) i have decided to create a new thread for everyones favorite marsupials, beginning with some good news.....

melbourne/currumbin goodfellow's breeding program is going strong with currumbin finally having a joey born recently. melbourne too has had yet another birth of late which brings the total tally of goodfellow's in the region up to 11 animals.

:)

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

wen i was on bio excursion, i went to botanic gardens, and the taronga zoomobile was there ready for my class, and the young keeper said the zoo had tree roos tht often go out in the zoo mobile, she said there was 2, and hopefully they would both form 2 separtae breeding pairs

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

yeah?
    cos according to isis taronga have just one - a young male bred at melbourne. currumbin have four and melbourne have six, in two breeding pairs. i doubt a large tree-kangaroo is a very a very smart choice for a "zoomobile" - i think the young keeper was somewhat confused....

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Definately. Taronga don't take tree-roos out in the zoo mobile.

5. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well thats what this ed officer said the other day? im just saying what i heard

6. Michelle

Michelle Member

Tree Roos are an animal that can be trained for encounters with people and take to training very well. The possibilities are only limited by the trainer. At melb zoo we crate trained the tree roos to move them into the new exhibit. We started the program to pouch check the females so we didnt have catch and restrain them. Then we were taking measurements of the pouch young while it was still in the pouch because there was no pouch young measurements for Goodfellows tree roo.