Join our zoo community

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary Tree Kangaroos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MARK, 11 Apr 2007.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

For those of you who are interested in tree Kangaroos apart from the colony of Goodfellows at the Currumbin Sanctuary there is also a colony of the Lumhotz's species (Queensland species) at the Fleays Sanctuary run by the EPA/Queensland National parks, as far as i can find out these are the only ones in captivity. From what i am told their exhibit is first class :) . I hope to get there soon and see if any bubs are around.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

if you already realise this then i apologise, but melbourne actually have a GTK colony - the largest in australia. adelaide have a matchie's trio and taronga have a melbourne born male GTK.

but that is very interesting to hear about the lumholtz. i have always wondered why their are no colonies of our native TK species in australia.

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yer Pat i know about Melbournes Goodfellows as well have spoken about them a number of times before, what i meant to say was " apart from the colony of Goodfellows in Queensland we also have a colony of Lumholtzs", too many late nights for me I think, hehe.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Some interesting news for fans of Tree Kangaroos, the only other colony of Lumholtz's tree Kangaroos in captivity apart from the Fleays animals is at the Rainforest Habitat in Port Douglas in North Queensland. When i find the number of animals held i will post them here.

5. patrick

from memory there are lots of ARAZPA zoos listing to hold the lumholtz long term. which is good for us tree kangaroo fanatics eh?

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats is good news, hehe. Do you mean the main stream zoos in oz are wanting them Pat?.

7. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i am so annoyed, i forgot to go to the tree roo exhibit at taronga on friday

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

tut tut tut, how could you do that, lol

9. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw Melbournes on Friday but thought there was about 4. I did not look for as long as I should have as was having dificulties with my 3 &5 yo kids at the time.

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

they may of had a few off exhibit

11. patrick

there is a second off-display tree kangaroo enclosure behind the butterfly house at melbourne. they breed about two joeys a year!!!

before they did the whole trail of the elephants, i'm sure i remember they had a tree kangaroo exhibit that had them mixed in with new guinean dorcopsis wallabies. unfortunately both the taronga and melbourne colonies have died out and there is just one or two left of this species at currumbin. but i believe the long-term plan is to bring em back. they are certainly a weird looking kangaroo!!!

12. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

San Diego has a very large collection of tree kangaroos (and Koalas)

13. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Old thread dug up, but since i like tree-roos i found that the Rainforest Habitat at Port Douglas reports now on ISIS that they have 1.1 Doria's tree-roo and 1.1 Grizzled grey's. Anyone been there?

Seems like an interesting Zoo, they also house 1.1 Bennet's cassuary. A species that a dutch zoo holds 0.3 off and can't get their hands on a male.

14. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for interupting the thread, but what zoo are the cassowaies at?

I also love tree kangaroos. Having only seen them at Antwerp in 2003 and San Diego in 2004, it is a treat to see them.

15. patrick

i believe there are two "rainforest habitats" - one in port douglas, australia and the other in lae, papua new guniea. i'm guessing you looked up the isis records, then did a google search on "rainforest habitat" and went to the wrong site......

only the park in PNG has tree-kangaroos..

16. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ahh, that would explain a lot... Allthough didn't someone in this thread mention Lumholtz tree-roos in the port douglas one? Anyways, guess i'll have to book a ticket to Papua to see the others then...:rolleyes:

17. patrick

there may be a few wildlife parks in australia holding the native tree-kangaroo species, and their ar certainly a few zoos and parks wanting to hold them, but only melbourne, taronga, currumbin and adelaide have any PNG species. at the moment its looking as though the matschie's are going to be phased out too. :(

there used to be grizzled greys at a zoo in phoenix or somplace like that, but they were all female and i think they have since died out anyway.

with all the expertise in marsupials here in australia i think we should be able to manage more than one tree-roo species, but if not, i support the decision to focus on the rarer goodfellow's.

i think long-term there may be a few secret desires here in australia for the golden-mantled supspecies or a tenkile or two...;)

18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Lumholtzs are held at Fleays on the Gold coast and at the Rainforest at port Douglas in north Qld, I hope we can still get some new bloodlines from NG for our breeding programs of Goodfellows TKs in oz

19. patrick

look, out there on the horizon, he's returned! it's, it's........MARK!!!!
    (theme song to magnificent seven plays)

20. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome Pat, LOL