Join our zoo community

Trip to Duisberg - Which other zoos should I go to near here?

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by manateacup, 24 Aug 2017.

1. manateacup

manateacup Active Member 5+ year member

Hi there,
    I'm currently in the process of planning a trip to Duisberg zoo (in part to see their river dolphin!). Which other zoos are worth travelling to from here?
    Current plan is to stick around Germany/the Netherlands but I am open to ideas :)
    Are there any other local zoos with rare wildlife or that are just worth the visit? Another favourite of mine are manatees (if you haven't guessed!)
    Thanks everyone! :)

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The big question is how much time do you have :p As that area is quite densely packed in interesting zoos.

Arguably the 2 best zoos within 1 hour of Duisburg are Cologne and Burgers Zoo (NL).Burgers Zoo just opened a new mangrove dome with manatee as the star species, so that should definitely appeal to you ;). Their rainforest and desert halls, just as their aquarium are also huge and top-notch.

Cologne is a very strong overall collection in a more standard zoo setting, but what they do they do well. All enclosures are ok to good and the zoo is stuffed with rarities.

Other zoos depend on your specific interests, but there is Krefeld, Wuppertal, ZOOM Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund, Munster, Gaiazoo & Apenheul to choose from, among other depending on your willingness to travel.

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Damnit. Wish I'd known about that yesterday.

5. manateacup

Damn, I had plans to visit Burgers Zoo at the beginning of the year and chose Rotterdam over it! Rotterdam zoo was fabulous though, one of my favourites from my Europe trip I think. Some very happy young giraffes on a windy day!

Plans in term of time is to spend roughly a week away, Duisberg zoo's river dolphin being top priority and hopefully some time in Amsterdam as I love the city :) Interests are the rare and wonderful really, I don't have any current plans to travel any further than Europe ahead of a move to Australia in a few years. Obviously anywhere highly recommended is definitely worth a visit!

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is good that you waited, because the new manatee enclosure in Burgers only opened in July this year ;).

When it comes to rarities you might want to put Cologne, Wuppertal and Apenheul on your list, and possibly also Dortmund. Zoo Artis Amsterdam is also well worth a visit (it is a bit what London could have been). You might want to go to Rhenen as well for a day, with their tarsier and spotted cuscus. For all zoos I would advise you to check their collection on www.zootierliste.de , to get an idea of their collection.

7. manateacup

Very good timing there then! ^-^ I've visited Artis twice now (always in the rain!) and would love to return. I'll look into the others too. Not so sure about the pet shop, will definitely end up coming home with somebody!

8. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last time I was at Zoo Zajac they had two-toed sloth, kinkajou, raccoon dog, jumping mice and other nice little critters.

For when are you planning your trip?
    If you're going after the end of next month there should also be Aquazoo in Düsseldorf, which is re-opening after years of renovation. Might be interesting to see what they've done with the place.

(Also: it's Duisburg;); Berg=mountain, burg=castle/fortress)

9. manateacup

Ooh, I hadn't realised it was reopening! And thank you ^-^ I hadn't even noticed it was wrong!

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hello manateacup,
    You're repeating exactly the same travel that I did this summer, for same main reason and with same available time ;-) With only two differences: one positive for you (Aquazoo Dusseldorf already reopened, I was just in front of their gates...) and one positive for me (I have a friend working in Duisburg zoo).
    So I advice you read the advices that zoochaters gave me in the past for my own zoo-trip:
    Planning trip to Cologne and nearby

11. manateacup

Very useful, thank you :) I also will be taking my camera so very interesting to see where you were picking to go!